Author Topic: trying to remove front cover off xciting 250 2008  (Read 1381 times)

snowshoes

• View Profile
trying to remove front cover off xciting 250 2008
« on: March 30, 2018, 05:13:32 AM »
I am attempting to do some maintenance incl coolant change. My service manual states to remove the front cover,which is giving me a problem where the outside portion of the ignition switch is over the front cover. I'm at a loss on how to remove this ring.  My manual doesn't say how it comes off.  Thanks for your help, Eric

szabgab

• View Profile
Re: trying to remove front cover off xciting 250 2008
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 08:30:56 AM »
Hi Eric, welcome to the forum by an another newbie. The magnetic shutter is held on by a screw, but you can not access it, unless you remove quite a lot of body parts, same goes for the cover you try to remove. You don't have to tackle the inside front cover, but the front cowling instead. It is easy to do even with the windshield attached, a screw at the front above the headlight, two next to the dash (1 each side) and six (3 per side) lower down - 2 inside that vent thing and one underneath the rubber mat. Once the screws are off you can simply lift away the whole front, but be aware of the headlight and blinker connectors. You can download a very good service manual for the 500/250, it is for the carburated bikes, but most of it is the same. The one I could find quickly is the 500 service manual, again much is the same. Browse/download from here - https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1071123/Kymco-Xciting-500.html?page=2#manual

If you replace the fluid in the coolant reservoir, do not remove the overflow pipe, as stated in the manual, the rubber is most likely hardened by now and you will end up with a leak, like I did. If you can, try to siphon out the fluid from the reservoir instead (and you don't have to remove the lower side cover either)

Also whilst the cowl is off do yourself a favour, and replace/bleed the brake fluid too, the delay valve is located next to the coolant filler and if you decide to do the brakes later on, you have to remove the fairing again (but having the bike for a month I can take the cowl off on any dimly lit street with the supplied Kymco screwdriver in less than 5 minutes).
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 09:53:06 AM by szabgab »

snowshoes

• View Profile
Re: trying to remove front cover off xciting 250 2008
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 11:14:46 PM »
Hi Eric, welcome to the forum by an another newbie. The magnetic shutter is held on by a screw, but you can not access it, unless you remove quite a lot of body parts, same goes for the cover you try to remove. You don't have to tackle the inside front cover, but the front cowling instead. It is easy to do even with the windshield attached, a screw at the front above the headlight, two next to the dash (1 each side) and six (3 per side) lower down - 2 inside that vent thing and one underneath the rubber mat. Once the screws are off you can simply lift away the whole front, but be aware of the headlight and blinker connectors. You can download a very good service manual for the 500/250, it is for the carburated bikes, but most of it is the same. The one I could find quickly is the 500 service manual, again much is the same. Browse/download from here - https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1071123/Kymco-Xciting-500.html?page=2#manual

If you replace the fluid in the coolant reservoir, do not remove the overflow pipe, as stated in the manual, the rubber is most likely hardened by now and you will end up with a leak, like I did. If you can, try to siphon out the fluid from the reservoir instead (and you don't have to remove the lower side cover either)

Also whilst the cowl is off do yourself a favour, and replace/bleed the brake fluid too, the delay valve is located next to the coolant filler and if you decide to do the brakes later on, you have to remove the fairing again (but having the bike for a month I can take the cowl off on any dimly lit street with the supplied Kymco screwdriver in less than 5 minutes).
Very good, I'll try the steps you recommended. Yes I plan on giving it a full tune up while I have it all apart. Thank you so much, I'll take a look at that mail as well. Eric

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()