Author Topic: Steering bearing removal - replacement  (Read 6010 times)

gwdoiron

• View Profile
Re: Steering bearing removal - replacement
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2018, 05:09:31 AM »
I actually had to replace the steering column bearings on my Xciting 250 early last year.
I was able to remove the upper outer race no problems (you can use a race puller), the lower one (as said here) I ended up using a dremel diamond engraving bit to slot all the way through it (took almost two hours, since going at it agressively destroys them), then putting a pair of short slots to either side of the cut so that I could use needle nose pliers to compress it and extract it.
The innter lower race bearing, I had to slot to remove.  Installing the lower inner was a matter of tossing the fork in the freezer and the race in the over, then hammering the race down using a 1" x 12" NPT pipe.

szabgab

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2018, 08:00:17 PM »
The garage would definitely have charged you more than $150 :P

Hi,  not in Hungary,  rates are low,  so are the wages,  so it evens out,  150$ is unfortunately not cheap over here...

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2018, 07:43:06 AM »
or...  if topping up is a bad idea,  what about removing the damper rod bolt from the bottom, drain oil and fill up from top with fresh oil? I do have an impact wrench on loan,  so that might get the nut back on,  if it spins with hand tools? Or is this another lazy get-around,  that won't work?

I'd be tempted to go for an oil change in the way you say there; drain the oil from the bottom, replace from the top, I can't see why that'd be an issue :)
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

szabgab

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2018, 12:00:26 PM »
I'd be tempted to go for an oil change in the way you say there; drain the oil from the bottom, replace from the top, I can't see why that'd be an issue :)

Hi, I ended up topping up as a temporary measure, it is very simple actually, big bolt out, spacer out, spring out, so I might at some point remove the legs and drain them by inverting and pumping (rather than risking f..ing up something royally by removing bottom bolt)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()