Author Topic: Steering bearing removal - replacement  (Read 6009 times)

Snorvey

• View Profile
Re: Steering bearing removal - replacement
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2018, 08:09:58 PM »
I can only add that my DT's steering head bearings were done by the mechanic at annual inspection time, also because it wasn't a job I fancied tackling. Handling all through the range is much, much better but mainly at low speed and in the wet.  It feels like a different bike!

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2018, 09:25:31 PM »
I hereby dub Gab an EXPERT REPAIR TECH of the First Order! Well, he is more than one up on me! De dee, too! Well, most of you guys and Nireen!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

szabgab

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2018, 02:05:02 PM »
I hereby dub Gab an EXPERT REPAIR TECH of the First Order! Well, he is more than one up on me! De dee, too! Well, most of you guys and Nireen!

Karl,  you are ever so kind,  but I doubt an expert would have had to butcher that race as much as I did.  All I have is power tools and bravery :)

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2018, 03:48:46 PM »
I'm not sure that's true.

I tried again to look up if there's a right way to do this... the suggestions I came across were:
Welding something to the race, welding a bead around the race to make it shrink and fall out (or I assume if that doesn't work you'd at least have something to hit), drilling two holes through the sides (wouldn't consider that personally), or doing what  you did with the dremel tool.

I think you did good.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2018, 08:32:04 PM »
I'm not sure that's true.

I tried again to look up if there's a right way to do this... the suggestions I came across were:
Welding something to the race, welding a bead around the race to make it shrink and fall out (or I assume if that doesn't work you'd at least have something to hit), drilling two holes through the sides (wouldn't consider that personally), or doing what  you did with the dremel tool.

I think you did good.

First three are over-engineering. Last one is simplest.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2018, 08:43:06 PM »
Welding a bead around the race actually sounds like a pretty good idea if you happen to have a welder on hand. Supposedly most of the time, the ring contract when it cools and the race falls off.

And if it doesn't fall off, you have something to hit, and can probably skip the torch step.

szabgab

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2018, 10:20:04 PM »
First three are over-engineering. Last one is simplest.

Thank you Karl... It took me three long hours to extract the race and another 20 minutes, to even out any ramps in the steering tube caused by the screwdriver digging in. If I would have had a welder and I would have known, what on earth I'm doing, I most definitely would have tried that method first. Also if one welds properly, the bead holds on, and indeed that gives you a shoulder to hammer away on :)

Anyway, the most important thing is, that the bike handles just so nicely, even sometimes too nicely, as it "falls" into corners (I guess not overly so, as the fork is not moving sideways, when the front wheel is test-held, does not judder at any speed and the 'hit the end of the bar with palm' method does not produce any unwanted vibrations either).

The only issue remaining in the front section is a clunk, when I hit bumps, I hoped, the steering bearing replacement will get rid of that, well, it did not do that completely. What I mean it is like heaving little suspension travel, and I hear-feel the road surface issues just a tad too much. At some point I will try to replace the fork fluids, but I'll leave the front be for now. BTW, does anybody know the correct amount of the fluid? I do not have a fork seal leak, but if the clunk is caused by little oil (suspension looks very soft to me, but mind you, I had an 80s touring-sports Honda before, which had stiff springs and large wheels), I might not get to far with measuring, how much oil comes out of there.

Thank you!

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2018, 01:12:52 PM »
Get used to the "clunk" because two DT300I of the same year (2013) do exactly the same thing. No harm seems to happen from clunking over bumps. I only suspect what it might be. I am not curious enough to disassemble everything to find it!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

szabgab

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2018, 04:15:54 PM »
Get used to the "clunk" because two DT300I of the same year (2013) do exactly the same thing. No harm seems to happen from clunking over bumps. I only suspect what it might be. I am not curious enough to disassemble everything to find it!

Oh no, I was hoping this is just the bike being worn, or the oil broke down or something... Anyway, I will not tackle this thing now for sure, I had enough of the repairs for the time being (although there is a whole list of things to still do, belt replacement, valves, idle valve, etc etc)

szabgab

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2018, 02:29:11 PM »
BTW I have seen the user manual,  and the whole fork oil and seal replacement looked like a simplish operation,  but I have also read De dee`s description of the process,  and that looked like a lot of work.  Did anybody tried to simply remove the top caps and fill some fluid on top,  like 0.5-1dl to see,  if that helps with the ultra-soft suspension?

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2018, 09:45:29 PM »
Only thought about it, never got to the actual "doing" part!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2018, 09:53:44 PM »

Changing the oil is a good way to stiffen up the fork ,  7.5 oil is from the factory ,  I put in # 10 , if you want to go stiffer go to # 15 oil,   

szabgab

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2018, 08:07:37 AM »
  Changing the oil is a good way to stiffen up the fork ,  7.5 oil is from the factory ,  I put in # 10 , if you want to go stiffer go to # 15 oil,

Topping up the oil somewhat wouldn't achieve the same thing?  Or would I blow the seal? I guess a small amount should be sufficient 1oz or so...

szabgab

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2018, 09:35:06 PM »
or...  if topping up is a bad idea,  what about removing the damper rod bolt from the bottom, drain oil and fill up from top with fresh oil? I do have an impact wrench on loan,  so that might get the nut back on,  if it spins with hand tools? Or is this another lazy get-around,  that won't work?

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2018, 08:13:38 AM »
The garage would definitely have charged you more than $150 :P
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()