Author Topic: SYM makes a heck of a scooter  (Read 438 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
SYM makes a heck of a scooter
« on: November 03, 2018, 10:18:38 PM »
Member on the SYM forum has a pair of 2009 SYM HD125's that have reached 85,637 miles.
He reports that both are going strong...."with just the usual maintenance; oil changes, tires, filters, belt/rollers etc."

His photo...

Years ago I tried to shop for a SYM scooter - but the local 'dealer' was a small HVAC shop - the mechanic and counter-person/secretary had both quit. Showroom was a (admittedly new) garden shed. But could not see buying my first scooter - with no idea how they worked!....so bought the Kymco from a mega dealer with a large staff.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

big blue

• View Profile
Re: SYM makes a heck of a scooter
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 11:53:36 PM »
I had planned to buy a SYM when first looking at scooters but the local dealer went belly up and then the national distributor had their warehouse go up in smoke. Shortly after that I found out about Kymco and the then new Like 200i. Still pretty happy!
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 01:24:41 AM »
I agree.  SYM makes very decent bikes.  Usually a bit more oomph per lb than their Kymco equivalent.
I am lucky around here that the local dealer is both close by, & a good dealer with a decent shop.

He's also the local Kymco dealer, & Genuine dealer now so hopefully he'll hold onto SYM/Lance, but his floor space is finite.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 08:24:53 AM »
SYM absolutely dwarf Kymco in the UK. People love their bikes.

Again, the HDs just use a derivative of the 152QMI (GY6) engine. It's a ringing endorsement of what they're capable of when they are properly looked after!
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Gnzbrg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 01:42:02 PM »
I used to lust over the Symba 100, SYM's version of the Super Cub.  Then they quit bringing them to the states and I was outta luck.  Still don't (but now the Honda is back).  Their remaining line looks damn nice, but the closest dealer to me is over four hours away... The Fiddle III is pretty much a Like 200i clone and may be a step up in quality for just a bit more money.  The 300 looks interesting too.
2018 Like 200i
2011 Ruckus
2007 KLR 650
2000 Vulcan 1500Fi
  😎👍

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 04:39:40 PM »
I used to lust over the Symba 100, SYM's version of the Super Cub.  Then they quit bringing them to the states and I was outta luck.  Still don't (but now the Honda is back).  Their remaining line looks damn nice, but the closest dealer to me is over four hours away... The Fiddle III is pretty much a Like 200i clone and may be a step up in quality for just a bit more money.  The 300 looks interesting too.
That Symba is probably 1/2 the new Honda price....makes that drive 4 hours of smiling when you look in the rear view mirror!
And the BIG selling point for the Like150i is the 2 wheel ABS.....
much preferred over the CBS....which so many come to dislike.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 05:25:51 PM »
That Symba looks pretty amazing. And possibly easy to work on. Better looking than the Honda in my opinion: spoked wheels and drum brakes, more chrome, nicer looking headlight and speedometer.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()