Author Topic: Trying to make sure I'm not getting ripped off  (Read 4024 times)

CommuterScooter

• View Profile
Trying to make sure I'm not getting ripped off
« on: July 06, 2012, 05:15:52 PM »
I need to take my XC250 in for a 6000k tune up.  Unfortunately I'm not much of a mechanic and can only do the minor stuff like change oil and fluids.  When I went to set up my appointment they quoted me a 4-4.5 hr job.  At $94 I just about fainted.  I don't totally trust this dealership in that they are giving me a fair deal on time worked.  The guy said it was mainly because of the valve adjustment and it being so difficult to do.  To me this seems to be a bit excessive for an experienced mechanic as I've been able to take off and put back on lots of tupperwear in half the time and I don't have all the correct tools and shop.

Anybody with experiences on length of time for services would be helpful.

Thanks guys you are always a wealth of information.
09 Xciting 250

slugrocket rob

• View Profile
Re: Trying to make sure I'm not getting ripped off
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 06:31:49 PM »
The price is not real crazy... It's hard to get anything done for under 100 clams these days (sad to say), But I worry about a mechanic that thinks a valve adjustment is difficult. A tune up is easy (including valve adjustment), you can learn to do it yourself!

bleys

• Ride what you like, not what other's like.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 01:30:02 AM »
$94 dollars for the entire job, or $94 dollars an hour?  I had all fluids changed, valve clearance adjusted, and general check over of my XC250 in May.  The total time was 3.5 hours, mostly due to removing the body panels.  My mechanic charges $60 an hour, so total cost came to about $235 with taxes and fluids cost.  By the way, I checked with 3 other places that work on scooters and the price of all was within about a $15 dollar range of what I paid.
Bill
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
2009 Xciting 250Ri - gone :(
2014 Honda CTX700N

CommuterScooter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 01:55:50 AM »
Sorry $94/hr.  I can live with the shop rate since it sounds like it is not unreasonable.  Also that 4-4.5 hours was without an oil change.  What I can't live with is them milking the clock and ripping me off that way.  I just can't imagine it taking more then a half hour to remove the plastic if they know what they are doing. 

Thanks for those who have responded.  I'd like to know of anybody else's experience with this.  Also any of you X500 guys who have experience with this would be helpful since they are similar bikes.
09 Xciting 250

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 03:25:20 AM »
The Kymco dealer in my town has a $125.00 per hour shop fee , It is clearly posted on a sign as you enter the shop area . I sought out and found a independent mechanic thank goodness , unfortunately his shop has gone out of business . Im glad my p50 hasn't needed any more attention . Good luck .

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 03:37:36 AM »
Damn the prices in the U.S.! Labor in our country is not on a per hour basis but per job. An oil change labor will cost you 50 pesos around $1.15   :D   I had my oil changed in the shop most of the time... cheap!  Five the man a 20 peso tip and he will do other extras...

BigOrange

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 08:03:05 AM »
What intervals do you need to have valves adjusted? I have a XC250 2007. I bought with just shy of 7500 miles and I am at 10,400 miles now. It sounds good what is my next valve adjustment interval.
I wish I could ride more and drive less!
2009 Xciting 500i White!
2007 Xciting 250 Orange!

bleys

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 03:14:21 PM »
For all those with the XC250, valve clearance adjustment (according to the manual) is at 200 miles, then again at 1800 miles.  After that, the manual recommends valve clearance adjustment every 2400 miles.  My mechanic is an independent, but used to work at a Kymco dealership and stated that after the 1800 mile adjustment, once a year should be enough.  I've only 860 miles on my 250 at this point, but noticed a definite difference following the 200 mile adjustment.

For the 500s, the manual suggests inspection and adjustment if needed at 16,000 miles and every 16,000 after that....guess bigger tolerances for bigger valves?

Hope this helps.
Bill
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
2014 Honda CTX700N

desliderman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 09:51:51 PM »
I'll have to recheck the manual for my 2012 XC500 but I believe the valves are adjusted at 8k miles.  I'm going to get an estimate for that service but I'm expecting it to be pricey.  Their service rate is something like $75 an hour.

I didn't realize the intervals for the 500 and 250 were different.

Don in KC.

bleys

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 09:54:50 PM »
My manual is for the 2009 scooters, so they may have adjusted the intervals...sorry, I should have specified the year the manual covered.
Bill
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
2014 Honda CTX700N

Ray Man

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 08:41:01 AM »
I have a 2006 Xciting 250.  The first time I pulled off all the plastic to get to the valves, it seemed to take forever.  Probably an hour plus or so.  I can remove and replace the stuff and replace it in about an hour now.  Adjusting the valves, all of two, takes about a half hour now. Take 20 minutes to replace the plug and fuel filter.  Change the oil 20 minutes.  Change the transmission gear oil 20 minutes.  Looks like about 2 1/2 hours, so four plus hours in the shop seems a little too much.  Many shops use the flat rate time vs. actual time.  If they charged for the actual time, it would probably cost less.  Do the math.  If they charge $94 per hour for 4 hours, that runs $376.  If the work actually took 2 1/2 hours to do the work, the true rate would be $150 per hour.  You might want to see if they will charge you for actual time spent doing the job.  Good luck     

CommuterScooter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 01:56:39 PM »
Rayman, thanks for the info.  Your numbers seem more in line with what I would suspect the job to take.  I'm pretty sure they are not quoting me a flat rate.  I think I'm going to see if I can find another shop that can do it.  If not then I might just hang around in the shop while they are working to make sure they are being honest in their work.
09 Xciting 250

ce

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 07:23:36 PM »
Practical valve adjustment interval is 3000, 7000, and 11000 miles, because the exhaust valve will slowly close until it's settled in, and then rarely move at all. The intake valve rarely moves anyway, because the heat is on the exhaust.

Since you can take the plastic off, you would be better served to buy a good socket set from Home Depot and at least inspect the valves, and adjust them if they need it.

Unless your engine is hard to start or dies during idle, the valves may be fine, but you do need to inspect and measure, so even if the mechanic inspects, and finds them to both be at .004 inch, he won't adjust them, he'll just button it up and bill you.

The 250 is so much easier than the 500, there's a lot more room to work, and only 4 bolts holding the valve cover on, so open the flywheel port, the sighting port, line up the centering mark, make sure both valves are loose, then slip a feeler guage in for a .004 inch gap top and bottom, if the bottom won't accept it, adjust it so it will, and yer good forr another few thousand miles, and next time, like Rayman says, you'll be a pro.

Albuquerque, New Mexico

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()