Author Topic: Fading plastic?  (Read 1806 times)

BigOrange

• View Profile
Fading plastic?
« on: June 03, 2012, 04:54:50 PM »
I have an Orange 2007 Xciting 250.  I love it. Plastic is starting to fade around instrument cluster and handle bars. I need a product to treat the darker matte plastic. 
I wish I could ride more and drive less!
2009 Xciting 500i White!
2007 Xciting 250 Orange!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Fading plastic?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 10:14:55 PM »
That's an ongoing issue. Every product from Baby Oil to Mothers/3m/regular car wax works. I have painted mine to get rid of the issue.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

BigOrange

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 03:38:58 AM »
What kind of paint did you use?  I have tried a couple of the all purpose cleaners.  They will work for a few hours. I am in the desert and I do not have a garage.  I have a cover and I park it at a covered spot at the office.  It is hot in the desert.  I will probably have to resort to painting the matte plastic.  The two tone seat still kicks ass.
I wish I could ride more and drive less!
2009 Xciting 500i White!
2007 Xciting 250 Orange!

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 03:53:15 AM »
Matt Plastikote

1. Clean plastic
2. Sand with 1000 grit
3. Paint and let dry

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 03:57:33 AM »
I used AwlGrip. It's a three part urethane. Mainly used in Marine/Aviation. It is as permanent as the plastic, and is sprayed on using a pressure pot system. If you remove the plastic, and bring it to a good spray shop it can be done for about 100.00 bucks. The paint alone is 400.00 a mixed gallon. It will only take a few ounces to spray your plastics.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

MikeKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 04:59:03 AM »
I just applied some stuff that I think is called "Black" to the rear fender, which was really turning gray.  So far, so good.  But it hasn't been long.  I wish now that I had taken a before pic.  I'll post some, and see if any of my existing pics don't show the grey as it was.  The stuff I got comes in a matte, gloss, etc.  I think I got matte, since the only black plastics I care about have a matte finish.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()