Author Topic: Oil Change Warning X250 & GV  (Read 2744 times)

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
Oil Change Warning X250 & GV
« on: December 11, 2011, 06:22:38 PM »
Urbestfriend changes oil usually every 1,000 miles.  This is around 6 or 7 times on either of my 2 bikes.   I always drain thru the side drain plug and then disassemble,   drain and clean the bottom screen.

Today when screwing and tightening the bottom cover back on,  the flange that the 30.8mm o-ring sets in cracked and separated clean off.  The plug and o-ring are in place,  but I will not add oil until replacements are delivered.   As you know,  unless your dealer is special, replacement parts are not readily available.

This cap appears to be a molded powdered metal product evidenced by the rough surfice in the fractured area.
Some would say,  "Don't overtighten it" and can't say that I have.  Just the repeated stesses will always get
you after a while.

I always recommend spending $100-200 dollars on items that are prone for replacement.  O-rings,  drain plugs,
brake pads,  oil filters,  etc.   I just hate to drive my car.

old geezer

• View Profile
Re: Oil Change Warning X250 & GV
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 10:07:03 PM »
Not powdered metal, just cast aluminum. The torque is not very high.  12.7 NM or around 10 foot lbs. I have never had a problem tightening mine to this spec and never a leak.

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 11:34:01 PM »
Your bottom crankcase drainplug will be pretty much interchangeable with any other scooter drainplug, btw, or at least the Prima magnetic one (made for the Buddy) fit every Kymco and other Taiwanese scooter that I ever saw.

old geezer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 11:38:03 PM »
Yeah, I believe they are pretty much all the same.

ChandlerScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 01:59:15 AM »
Your bottom crankcase drainplug will be pretty much interchangeable with any other scooter drainplug, btw, or at least the Prima magnetic one (made for the Buddy) fit every Kymco and other Taiwanese scooter that I ever saw.

Seeing that I did my oil change yesterday with no issues, I can see how that part can fracture fairly easily. Mine had some bits of silicone gasket maker in the mesh filter. No metal particles at least. So with that said, is there a part number for the magnetic plug or bottom filter trap? I would like to have a couple of spares on had as mentioned.
Simon
2009 Kymco Xciting Ri With no mods.

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 01:46:39 PM »
Well...Here's what you do....Search Internet for "Kymco Parts".  Pick a site like Stadium Yamaha,
Go to Kymco Parts.  Choose Model "Xciting 250" Scoll down thru the list.  The bottom plug is on one
list and the screen, spring and cap are on another.  Look at the picture,  Find the part number,  then scroll
down the list for the description, cost and number of items you need.  I've ordered extras of these caps, plugs,
brake pads, air filters, etc.   Be prepared because my bike was out of service between Dec.11 and the parts
came yesterday the 29th.  I guess that's why I have 2 bikes,  one for a back-up.

ChandlerScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 10:43:10 PM »
Thanks for the headsup  ;)
I'll try that.
Simon
2009 Kymco Xciting Ri With no mods.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()