Author Topic: Windscreen buffeting and solutions  (Read 1002 times)

Haarek

• View Profile
Windscreen buffeting and solutions
« on: September 14, 2013, 06:46:25 PM »
Hello everybody!

My first post here and a new happy owner of a Kymco Downtown 125i ABS (phew). I'm posting here because I haven't found a 125cc subforum for the downtown.

Now to the meat of the post.

I realized on my way back from the dealer that this scooter had some issues with buffeting. My first trip doing more than 80 kmph made me realize this scooter had MAJOR issues with buffeting. I would describe the sound like this: BOAWWWABBWAWOOBWBAABOWAB (I think you guys got the idea) My head felt like a sack of raw meat and even with earplugs I heard the ringing in my ears the next morning. Something had to be done and fast! The first thing I did was to order a new, taller, Givi screen. Second I took off the windscreen and tried driving without it. It solved the problem, but created a new one. The sound was now only the hissing of the wind, but the force of the wind hit me straight in the chest, pulling me backwards. With the reclined seating of the downtown it became uncomfortable to hang on. At this point I though "to hell with it" and decided to cut 15 cm off the original screen.. With my modified screen the scooter looked alright again and the force of the wind was lessened somewhat, but the screen now makes the wind move in a circular motion hitting me just below my neck and pushing downwards towards my thighs. There is no winning on this one :-)

So... What are your experiences with buffeting and windshields? Going forwards I will experiment with a small spoiler on my original screen to try to break up the large downwards moving vortex. When I get the chance I will post some pictures. Please share if you have done something genius that saves me painful thinking :-)

Btw: I'm 176 cm and 79 kilo with a full face helmet.

Rbt Jean

• View Profile
Re: Windscreen buffeting and solutions
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 09:36:58 PM »
Welcome to the forum nice to here from you.

From the posts I'v seen everyone is doing the same thing going with Givi. 

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
Re: Windscreen buffeting and solutions
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 11:34:15 PM »
  Im 5 ft. 11 inches and 211 lb.s   thats 180 cm. and 95 kg.  I have the Givi screen and it fits very good   noise  Im hard of hearing  ( fence post) so it does not bother me,  had my hearing aid on for 5 min. took it off fast,  Buffiting ,.  dont ride behind trucks on the highway or keep way back , the cars , no buffiting , 

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()