Author Topic: is the engine in the people 502t..  (Read 1831 times)

sparko

• View Profile
is the engine in the people 502t..
« on: January 15, 2011, 04:06:13 PM »
Hi everyone

My girlfriend wants to know-is the engine in the people 2t the same as the engine in the super 8 2t? the bore and stroke are the same. she loves the look of the people but likes the sturdier tires on the s8. she is not a fast rider, just wants to get there safely. I guess handling is also a concern so maybe the s8 handles easier because of tire diameter. My dealer of course won't let her test either but is happy to sell to her so any info is appreciated. people is lighter as well. I recommended the 2t so she can have the extra power if she needs it. she is only 5'4" or so and 123 pounds. any other info or recommendations from other riders would be appreciated. thanks. ???

luc1992

• View Profile
Re: is the engine in the people 502t..
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 06:18:34 PM »
hi, i cannot give you any information on the engine, i can however give my opinion on the tires. Despite the slimmer tires on the people, they are safer if you encounter road imperfections. The larger diameter will prevent the tire from sinking as low into potholes, holes, cracks, etc... as a smaller tire. I used my people in NYC a lot where the potholes sometimes are 6 to 8 inches deep and i have never had a problem (omitting a sore rear end). I know a few people who have been thrown off when the smaller diameter tire dug into this sort of imperfection.
I don't know much about the contact surface of the tire, but i do not think that the smaller fatter tires have much more of a contact surface area (i might be wrong, i am not a tire expert).
I have been riding my People 50 2t for over 1 year and 1/2 now in many many conditions (including snow :O) and i have never had a problem linked to the tires. The rim is very heavy duty, i think since people are not used to seeing this skinny a tire on scooters they sometimes assume that they are much less safe.
In any event, good luck, and happy riding.

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 03:59:49 PM »
Hi, sparko. I love the look of the Super 8, but I think I will have to agree with you about choosing the People if it is a lighter weight. It may depend on how much heavier the Super 8 is.

These scoots are not always easy to maneuver. When beginning to learn to ride there are many other things the rider will need to focus on and it will just be easier, and more fun, if the weight of the machine is not a concern. If she was 30 -50 pounds heavier it may not be an issue (I'm not sure how much either scoot actually weighs without looking it up, sorry). Being a shorty myself, I can say that without having some extra weight or muscle behind you to push the scoot around when you need to it can detract from the fun factor.

And if she is to be spending much time on her scoot she should go with the tires she likes. Having tires you are comfortable with is something to be appreciated!!

sparko

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 11:38:58 PM »
thanks for the replies, people. little joke there. as far as the tires/wheels go, we really have no preference because we've not been able to ride either one as the dealer won't allow any test rides. I can see why, the roads here are snow covered and not pleasant. but even in the summer he won't allow any. I have a super 9 and an agility but haven't ridden anything with the bigger tires. I like to corner hard so the smaller tires work for me. she just wants to get there in one piece. I think i will recommend the people because it is a retro look and her riding on the s8 might attract more attention, which is something she wants to avoid.

She actually asked when she was sitting on the people if it made her butt look big.  :-X :D ;D I think she was kidding. Not sure.

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 03:04:02 AM »
:D :D

And you, of course, told her, "No Way! It looks Awesome, Honey!" Right??

It's a shame she can't test ride it. I understand it, but I don't like it because it's a lot of money to put down on something you aren't even sure is a good fit for you.

Anyway, the People does sound like a good fit for her. I hope she loves it, sparko!!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()