Author Topic: Questions from a noob...  (Read 2036 times)

Gardenia

• View Profile
Questions from a noob...
« on: October 18, 2010, 11:35:50 AM »
Good morning, Gents..  I have an 07 People 50 2 stroke..  I bought the scooter in 08 from a local dealership(they still had a few of the last year's model they didn't sell and these were priced less than the 08's)..  I paid around $85 to have it "derestricted"..  From what I understand, it is common for Kymco to have they're speedo indicate 7mph over what they are really doing..  I read about many of you having People's that go 50+ with standard desrestrictions..  I am 5'9"/150lbs and my scoot tops out at 45 (which would really be 37-38mph)..  It takes quit a while to get up there and any change in inclination or a head wind knocks it down to between 35 and 40mph(indicated)..   
I used my GPS on the scoot and it is in fact 7mph slower than what is indicated..  So, those of you saying you're doing 50mph: do you mean you're doing 50 indicated or a true 50mph? 

Also, with how much performance many people say they are getting with these desresctrictions, how can I find out what the dealership actually did?  When I try to talk to them about it, they tell me they did all the possible desrestrictions and the bike is doing what it should do..  Again, when I ask them exactly what they did, they skirt around the question by talking about getting a 72cc upgrade kit and new exhaust..  I figure since I'm a girl, they assume I don't understand things of a mechanical nature and would rather sell me things and charge me an arm and a leg($85.00 per hour) to install them..   

1. I don't want a 72cc upgrade as this will shorten the lifespan of the bike(I've heard nothing but problems and headaches with upgrade kits).

2. A new exhaust makes the bike considerably louder which is something I don't desire. 

After reading some posts in this forum, I am thinking about a carb rejet if it hasn't been done already when it was supposedly derestricted..
What else can I do without spending a bunch of money and little in the way of parts?
I've read where guys drill holes in their airboxes, pull wire on the CDI, and do something to the CVT.. 
Forgive my questions as I'm pretty new to learning what needs to be done..
Any help is welcome..  :) 

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
Re: Questions from a noob...
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 12:13:12 PM »
Hello and welcome Gardenia. $85 for the dealer to derestrict it is not bad at all. Mine wanted $250. The dealer derestrictions should include the replacing the boss drive bushing, removing exhaust restrictions, and increasing the main jet.  My scoot wouldn't go much over 30mph without derestricting the boss drive first so im sure they did that.

Yes it is common for the speedo to be wrong. Only way to tell is take a GPS on a ride. 7mph indicated over actual(GPS) speed is a lot. May not be that bad. The dealer may or may not have disabled the rev limiter in the CDI. Some year models you have to replace the entire CDI.

Most people on here will say for example 50mph indicated. As in thats what the speedo says. I have an '09 and its off by about 2mph.

Understandable you don't want to dive in to the serious performance upgrades... yet ;). Other than an aftermarket exhaust and big bore kit there is still some room to improve. A racing CDI will give you more performance along with some performance parts in your CVT(Transmission) like Performance variator, and/or stiffer clutch springs. Sounds Kind of scarry but relatively easy to install those things.

Any time you mess with the exhaust or intake flow(restriction) you will HAVE to rejet the carb. Keep that in mind.

If your looking to do it cheap. Lighter variator rollers and an iridium spark plug would give you a little more pep and acceleration for around $30 tops.

I am relatively new on here. There are many people on here with a lot more knowlege and experience than me. They have been very helpful for me. This is a great forum so stick around and you'll learn a lot.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 12:37:49 PM by Peters »
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 12:27:15 PM »
oh yeah, never a stupid question on here... :) You will not be ridiculed.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 12:29:13 PM by Peters »
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

pedro

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 12:34:42 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  One other possibility could be your later model People might have a restricted exhaust gasket, or maybe even a catalytic converter.

By the way, my speedometer reads out waaaay over 50 mph, but I've confirmed a top speed with my GPS of 47.9 MPH. 

Gardenia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 06:25:01 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  One other possibility could be your later model People might have a restricted exhaust gasket, or maybe even a catalytic converter.

By the way, my speedometer reads out waaaay over 50 mph, but I've confirmed a top speed with my GPS of 47.9 MPH. 

How can I remedy the restricted exhaust gasket or catalytic converter? 

art

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 06:38:21 PM »
  If the scoot is brand new they take a couple hundred miles to loosen up. I would also ask what size the main jet is. The sizes tend to vary from the factory. I think you could run an #80 to possibly #84 main jet. I did not think they put a cat in the 2007 but if they did it is very restrictive.
  As far as they de-restriction go's Ask if they did the cdi and drive boss.
Kymco peoples too many ;) I'm not an expert just a full time hobbiest.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 12:06:38 AM »
...Welcome to the Forum Gardenia!!!

..i just aquired a 2007 ppl myself with 2100 kms...so i'm following your thread closely!!

;D

peace
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()