Author Topic: Kymco people doesn't start  (Read 5739 times)

froyzy

• View Profile
Kymco people doesn't start
« on: September 23, 2010, 07:50:57 PM »
Hi, last week i bought a kymco people 50 from a friend of my. I got it for 60 dollars, because it had been stolen earlier and lots of things are broken. So here is what's broken:
the carb was loose (don't know if its broken)
the fuel filter didn't let fuel come thru
no battery
2 of the directional indicators are hanging out.

So first of all i bought a new battery so now all the electrical parts are working (i suppose). The starter is working, and the kick to but the problem is that it's not starting. I've connected the carb. instead of the regular kymco fuel filter i've changed it to a normal filter with to openings so were the fuel can go in and out. The third fuel line is not connected to anything it's just hanging. i have no airbox. I have changed the plug and tested it! i have also tried with starter fluid but nothing happens... I was thinking that it's the ignition coil, but since i could see sparks when i was testing the spark it cant be that.. I know that the carb is flooded because the filter that i bought is letting to much fuel in to the engine. But im going to change to the regular fuel filter. Now is the question what can be wrong? Please help me!

/Fred

art

• View Profile
Re: Kymco people doesn't start
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 08:02:16 PM »
  The fuel is regulated by a vacuum system, your extra line needs to go to the intake pipe after the carb. Your case is probably full of fuell right now,pull plug and kick over to move some fuel out of the motor. Leave the fuel line unpluged clear excess fuel than see if you can get it to fire with some starting fluid. Hope that helps.  Ps welcome to the forum!
Kymco peoples too many ;) I'm not an expert just a full time hobbiest.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 10:05:43 PM »
It sounds like the carb has been replaced, I would start by cleaning that.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 12:31:40 AM »
..you have no airbox...so the carb's intake is open??

..if so, hold your hand over the carb and turn the engine over with the starter...

..does your hand get wet with fuel??
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

froyzy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 01:23:01 PM »
When i tried to start the engine with only starting fluid nothing happened. I held my hand over the carb. I've cleared all excess fuel from the carb. i also tried to spray some starting fluid in the cylinder-nothing.. any ideas? i've checked the manual and i've trouble shoot, and after the spark (which i've tried, and it worked) it says that i have to check cylinder compression (?) how do i do that?

art

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 07:28:51 PM »
  Have you tried a new plug? The pipe and head may be blocked with carbin try pulling the pipe and take a look at it and clean it up. Give it a test with out the pipe to see if it will fire.
Sometimes weak spark will act like this also.
 You need a tool(conpresion tester) for your cylinder,but to get an idea you can hold your finger over the spark plug hole and turn it over,you should not be able to stop the flow of air from comeing out the hole. 

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 10:25:32 PM »
I held my hand over the carb

..when you did that, did your hand get wet with fuel??

froyzy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 11:06:02 PM »
  Have you tried a new plug? The pipe and head may be blocked with carbin try pulling the pipe and take a look at it and clean it up. Give it a test with out the pipe to see if it will fire.
 You need a tool(conpresion tester) for your cylinder,but to get an idea you can hold your finger over the spark plug hole and turn it over,you should not be able to stop the flow of air from comeing out the hole. 

I've tried with a new plug, but it doesn't make any change. Im going to check the intake pipe and see if it has been clogged.
When i tried to inject starter fluid i didn't hold my hand agai nst the air intake, should i do that? and the 3rd line from the intake pipe is as the moment not connected to the fuel filter. Do i have to get a new air box or can i leave it without it?

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 11:09:17 PM »
...i'm a bit confused about what you're calling the third line...

..can you post some pics for clarification??

froyzy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 12:12:05 AM »
...i'm a bit confused about what you're calling the third line...

..can you post some pics for clarification??

"The fuel is regulated by a vacuum system, the extra line goes to the intake pipe after the carb." I can post some pictures as soon as i get to the kymco!

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2010, 12:17:59 AM »
..yeah, the fuel is not really "regulated by vacuum", by that line...

..do you have a vacuum line goint to your fuel petcock??

..that MUST be there..otherwise, no fuel will pass through...

..also, if there IS a  line connected to the the petcock..but the other tube is open to atmosphere, then the vacuum circuit is no longer there...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2010, 12:21:38 AM »

..that's why i was asking if your hand got wet with fuel, when you closed off the carb intake, while cranking the engine...

froyzy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2010, 12:35:44 AM »
..yeah, the fuel is not really "regulated by vacuum", by that line...

..that MUST be there..otherwise, no fuel will pass through...

..also, if there IS a  line connected to the the petcock..but the other tube is open to atmosphere, then the vacuum circuit is no longer there...

sorry i misunderstood you! Now i'm not using the regular filter with the petcock (but i will change it this week) so the 3rd line is just hanging. But the engine should fire anyway! my goal (for the moment) is to get it to fire. at the moment, it wont even fire..not with starting fluid either
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 12:38:02 AM by froyzy »

froyzy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2010, 07:09:47 PM »

Alright, so this evening i've tried to start the engine again. This time with the regular fuel filter and a lot of starting fluid. Good news is that the engine started to "cough" and one time it explode at the exhaust pipe. I tried to get the intake pipe off, but it was to hard and one of my tools broke. But since the engine started to cough the air is passing? My battery is almost dead, so i cant use the electric starter anymore. so i use the kick. I haven't got a air filter yet but when i try to start it i put a piece of material in to the filter hole so it didn't get so much air. Another thing is that i'm not so sure how far in the airscrew on the carb should be.
any ideas?

« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 07:11:52 PM by froyzy »

art

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 05:29:22 PM »
  Try 1 1/2 turns. The vac line to the air intake if not connected should be pluged for testing. If left open it will draw too much air to start or run.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()