Author Topic: Sure. NOW they come out!  (Read 4529 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Sure. NOW they come out!
« on: March 08, 2014, 01:47:18 AM »
50 and sunny today - and the Harley's are flying around the city.
They still don't wave back to a goofy looking guy on a plastic scooter who was and has been out here on these same bleedin streets when it was 1 degree Fahrenheit because the best method of winterizing your scoot is to ride the blessed thing and was actually tickeled to be doing so because this Kymco scooter is crazy fun to ride no matter how cold it is even if he has to push it 4 or 5 blocks down the street from his house at 0'Dark:30 to get clear of most of the snow and black ice before he can even get on his big comfy frozen seat and ride through the deer and around frozen small critters which are stuck to the roads until the Coyotes get to 'em and then you have to stand out in the dark & totally empty Tim Horton's parking lot drinking your coffee because  they refuse to put out the patio furniture while it's snowing!
Just sayin'.

(a small boy in the back asked,"Mister Tom, why don't you drink your coffee in the restaurant, where it's warm?"
Well son, I said, I have so many layers of clothing on I'd die of heat frustration in about 90 seconds.)

« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 01:59:20 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Porkie

• View Profile
Re: Sure. NOW they come out!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 02:04:29 PM »
Nice picture!

Please be careful, black ice is almost impossible to see and frozen water on the road looks just like thawed, running water.

You can clean your entire scooter in 5 minutes with a can of pledge or the like. Cleaning a Harley to perfection can be very, very time consuming.

Waving is a topic that can be discussed forever.  I would wave at you when riding my Goldwing and you may or may not wave back. When I rode my Harley, not even other HD riders would wave back sometimes. BMW rider's rarely wave at anyone unless it's their own reflection in a storefront plate glass window as they ride by. Some Goldwing riders will only wave to other GW riders. At one time we rider's all waved to each other because we were a 'special' group, a fraternity doing something different.

Sam:)
2014 Polaris Ranger 800 crew cab 4x4
2012 Honda Goldwing Blue
2013 Kymco Xciting RI ABS in gold/ orange
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650 blue metallic
KF6GUW Amateur Extra

paper

• I like naps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 05:12:13 AM »
I wave at everyone (yeah, even when I'm on one of my BMW's) except full fledged Lifestyle Riders..

HD riders who are wearing helmets typically wave..

Actually, the group of people who don't wave?? Scooter riders.. I wave at them no matter what I'm riding, including any of my scooters, and scooter riders are the LAST to wave back. And I didn't say ALL, but the overwhelming majority don't wave back. I actually get more 1%'r HD Lifestyle riders to wave than scooter riders.. When I wave at scooter riders, it's like it freaks them out!! I blame it on the fact that they're more likely to be new riders or maybe it's because they don't get waved at, or don't understand the 2 wheel'd brotherhood and the fact that a wave is just a greeting to another brother on 2 wheels?

Dunno, but scooter riders seldom wave.. (but I do)

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 03:07:06 PM »

They still don't wave back to a goofy looking guy on a plastic scooter who was and has been out here on these same bleedin streets when it was 1 degree Fahrenheit because the best method of winterizing your scoot is to ride the blessed thing and was actually tickeled to be doing so because this Kymco scooter is crazy fun to ride no matter how cold it is even if he has to push it 4 or 5 blocks down the street from his house at 0'Dark:30 to get clear of most of the snow and black ice before he can even get on his big comfy frozen seat and ride through the deer and around frozen small critters which are stuck to the roads until the Coyotes get to 'em and then you have to stand out in the dark & totally empty Tim Horton's parking lot drinking your coffee because  they refuse to put out the patio furniture while it's snowing!

That sentence is truly worthy of William Faulkner! He would be proud! (Wonder if he rode a scooter...)
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 05:23:11 PM »
I wave at everyone (yeah, even when I'm on one of my BMW's) except full fledged Lifestyle Riders..

Actually, the group of people who don't wave?? Scooter riders.. I wave at them no matter what I'm riding, including any of my scooters, and scooter riders are the LAST to wave back. And I didn't say ALL, but the overwhelming majority don't wave back. I actually get more 1%'r HD Lifestyle riders to wave than scooter riders.. When I wave at scooter riders, it's like it freaks them out!! I blame it on the fact that they're more likely to be new riders or maybe it's because they don't get waved at, or don't understand the 2 wheel'd brotherhood and the fact that a wave is just a greeting to another brother on 2 wheels?

If new scooter riders - maybe afraid to let go?!!
Me, I have passed ONE scooter rider while on my scoot. I beeped at him and he jumped a foot while sitting at a light.
I think if I ever saw TWO scooter riders in these parts I'd stop and give them a hug!
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 05:32:46 PM »
That sentence is truly worthy of William Faulkner! He would be proud! (Wonder if he rode a scooter...)
Bill and I were in the same Punctuation Study Group in Mrs. Cooleridge's 9th grade English class for slow learners and we were the only 2 in the group so we played checkers a lot and thumb wrestled.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

paper

• I like naps
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 05:36:57 PM »
If new scooter riders - maybe afraid to let go?!!
Me, I have passed ONE scooter rider while on my scoot. I beeped at him and he jumped a foot while sitting at a light.
I think if I ever saw TWO scooter riders in these parts I'd stop and give them a hug!

;D
I think it's new riders, too..

Right now we're still under 3' of snow, but it's supposed to touch 45 today, the geese are arriving, and I'm hearing bird that I haven't heard in a while. :)

Because the area I'm located is basically several smaller towns that are loosely tied together by 45 mph roads, it's a good scooter environment and it's starting to show.  More and more scooters with adults on them.

10 years ago when I was riding a Honda Spree to work, I was WEIRD!! Why on earth would a 6' adult man who owned full size motorcycles ride a 50cc scooter to work? Well, I'd ride 2 miles to work, 2 miles to lunch and back, 2 miles home, 1 mile to get the mail and back, a car never got a chance to warm up, but a scooter (at the time) could be filled for $1 of gas and I could ride for a week..

And now I'm constantly asked about licensing, insurance, scooter cost, etc... I'm still weird, but I guess I'm more acceptable as a scooter rider. I still get weird looks when I ride my Helix 200 miles to a BMW Rally, but many understand.. I get "You have 2 BMW motorcycles at home and you rode a scooter here?? Why??"  My answer is always simple.. The scooters make me smile..

And I think that's what I tend to see with those on scooters who do wave.. They're having fun!!

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 09:37:26 PM »
I have to admit the scoot is a warmer ride then an open bike, but yes, all of a sudder the HD guys are on the road again.

There is one guy that won't give a wave no matter what, I pass him almost every day on my way into work coming from the other direction. One of these days when I'm off I think I'll take a ride on that same stretch of road and buzz past him just for kicks.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 02:14:39 AM »
Bill and I were in the same Punctuation Study Group in Mrs. Cooleridge's 9th grade English class for slow learners and we were the only 2 in the group so we played checkers a lot and thumb wrestled.
Ha ha ha ha! Too funny!
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 03:04:19 AM »

I too find scooterist to be the least likely to wave back. In most cases HD and BMW riders wave back the most in my corner of the world. Sportbike riders are hit and miss as well as touring riders. I also find I get a lot of waves and nods from the cycling folks. I was a bit surprised at first, but enjoy the fact that the people powered two wheelers acknowledge our love affair with all things two-wheeled.

By the way, it was near mid 80s in San Jose, CA today. I was out riding at 7:30 am knowing my wife and kids wouldn't be up until at least 10:00 am. Makes for a stress free ride knowing my family isn't waiting on me to return home from my ride.  ;D

paper

• I like naps
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 12:04:04 PM »
By the way, it was near mid 80s in San Jose, CA today.

I SO look forward to that.. We're supposed to touch the 40's today, but we're also still dealing with roads that are white with salt in many areas..  :-\  I know that good spring rain is around the corner.. I can't wait to be able to ride to work again..  ;)

And I can't wait to strap the fishing pole to the scooter.. I too love trout fishing and being able to combine to favorite pastimes are like heaven!! :)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 08:31:02 PM »
I was out riding at 7:30 am knowing my wife and kids wouldn't be up until at least 10:00 am. Makes for a stress free ride knowing my family isn't waiting on me to return home from my ride.  ;D
Yep, I ride at sunrise to stay away from traffic....and to not miss any family time.
I cannot enjoy my scooter if I'm missing being with these guys!
With a working wife and two teens - I've got the scoot back in the garage before they're up.
The only way they know I've been on the scoot is the box of Tim Bits on the breakfast table!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

paper

• I like naps
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 09:20:41 PM »
the box of Tim Bits on the breakfast table!
Stig

MMMMMM Legal Crack in a box..

If I had a Tim Horton's around here I'd weigh 300 pounds..

RubenC

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2014, 03:25:12 AM »
It was a beautiful day in Grapevine,  I did some riding to client sites but no fun rides.
From the Great Nation called Texas. Oops I mean the Great State called Texas

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 05:09:27 PM »
Paper...I , too , love trout fishing and Scootering. Have a packable LL Bean (yeah, I live in LL Bean State ) spin/fly rod Combo that fits perfectly under my seat  ;)
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()