Author Topic: KEY LATCH ISSUE HELP PLEASE............SOLVED PITA BUT SOLVED  (Read 3346 times)

feebleknievel

• View Profile
    • Kickin Country hITS
KEY LATCH ISSUE HELP PLEASE............SOLVED PITA BUT SOLVED
« on: August 29, 2013, 05:52:00 PM »
one side where the seat latches comes free but the other side will not i've tried 20 times and close the seat un latch n only 1 side un latches if anyone knows the best thing to do other than ripping the seat off id appreciate it
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 08:26:04 PM by feebleknievel »

feebleknievel

• View Profile
    • Kickin Country hITS
Re: KEY LATCH ISSUE HELP PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 08:25:28 PM »
solved PITA..I MIGHT ADD... but got it open

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
Re: KEY LATCH ISSUE HELP PLEASE............SOLVED PITA BUT SOLVED
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 09:34:12 PM »
   for your pain in the A....  there is a trap that opens over the adjustment nuts of your pita.  this is on downtowns,.   

moparkid

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 11:44:37 PM »
I've often wondered what one would do when they went to open up the seat and it didnt open. There must be another access or way to open it in that case. Is there anything in the manual you got about latch access? Should one make adjustments on a regular basis just to be sure it doesnt lock you out?

feebleknievel

• View Profile
    • Kickin Country hITS
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 04:01:29 AM »
Well Burgman 400's were bad for this.but there latch is much different than the Downtown.i see 3 things that if they ever re did the Downtown it would sell a lot more bikes.but thye latch issues are if it gets locked down there is no access other than taken the back plate off above the tail lights and try to open it that way you can see both latches .my was jammed or warped or something because when i finally got a screw driver in there i twisted the latch  and it popped open i even adjusted the cable and it still does it.so either the seat is warped .or the latch it's self is out of position when i have time ill take it all apart and run me a emergency wire to open it

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 04:48:26 AM »
  there is a small trap on the side over the adjustment nuts for the pita opening clamps,.  it is mentioned in the manual,. 

feebleknievel

• View Profile
    • Kickin Country hITS
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 12:52:13 PM »
yep and you have to kinda turn here turn there just to get em just right both latches are working prefecto for now .lol still thinking on a rainy day im going to add emergency pull chains .just to pop em open if need be

ride4fun

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 07:07:03 PM »
On my 2 Burgmans I ran a thin braded wire used on airplanes from the latches to outside the seat. I put a loop on the outside end and kept tucked out of sight. Not that I ever locked my keys in the trunk lol. Does anyone know if this can be done on the 300i?
Thanks, Bonnie
Thanks,
Bonnie

feebleknievel

• View Profile
    • Kickin Country hITS
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 09:19:37 PM »
no because on a bergman you have 1 latch in the middle in the rear so it makes it easy top do the fix u did i also did the same thing to my burgman,but on the DT 300 u can adjust the cables and it will work i adjusted mine n so far have not had any more issues :)

shadwell_lad

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2016, 11:30:40 AM »
taken the back plate off above the tail lights and try to open it that way you can see both latches .my was jammed or warped or something because when i finally got a screw driver in there i twisted the latch  and it popped open i even adjusted the cable and it still does it.so either the seat is warped .or the latch it's self is out of position when i have time ill take it all apart and run me a emergency wire to open it

I have the back plate off  but can't figure out how to free the latches? Is it easy to describe how you did this?

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2016, 01:31:15 PM »
There is another way: turn handlebars all the way to right; lay on ground on right side (yours) next to machine right; look up into fairing to back of ignition switch; seat latch cable exits switch back(bottom) disappears to left. Grab cable housing and pull as much as possible in-line with cable housing routing. This pulling will eventually unlatch seat. This is fact. Been there done that. Here is opinion: there is a cable split front machine left that gets rusty and dirty inside that may be the problem on 20000 mile bikes. Figure a way to clean and lube that should fix the cause for another 20 k miles.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

shadwell_lad

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2016, 06:42:14 AM »
Thanks. I managed to open the seat by taking the rear off. Stones the problem for the moment and I will get it properly fixed at the upcoming service.

Bike is low mileage but lives outside in the wet UK without a cover. Will be interesting to see what the issue was. I couldn't get things to work better using the seat cable adjusters.

TANWare

• E3.38, RP oil Eng & FD, Dr Pulley 20x12 14 gr
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 05:08:48 AM »
Mine lives inside but had sat for so long it froze. Eventually pulling the cable freed the seat then adjusting the cables got it to where I can unlatch it by the key alone.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()