Author Topic: anyone installed an AC cdi  (Read 7204 times)

phatboy

• View Profile
anyone installed an AC cdi
« on: July 19, 2013, 08:14:13 PM »
hey,

looks like 99% of CDI out there are AC but the A50 is DC CDI, and i'm looking at a cdi with adjustable rev limiter but it's ac, can't find a DC one.

despite posts here that say the A50 has an AC cdi, it's definitely DC. My question is has anyone converted to an AC cdi. looks like you could do it if you tapped a wire from the generator? problem is the generator has three wires, one is ground, which of the other two should you use.

buy the way in case anyone disagrees and thinks the A50 has an AC cdi, in the service manual wiring diagram, the generator only connects to the regulator, headlight switch and auto bystarter, NOT the CDI

second reason, i tested the voltage with a multimeter and there was 13v DC at the CDI power pin

third reason I used that power pin to run my tach, it works, if it was ac i'd probably have a fried tach

Agility 50 w/72cc BBK, A9 cam, stock airbox and exhaust (both drilled out), remove air tube restriction, stock head, stock carb, 105 main jet, CDI cut, smooth variator boss, stock variator w/5g rollers

blue

• View Profile
Re: anyone installed an AC cdi
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 11:20:49 PM »
hey,

looks like 99% of CDI out there are AC but the A50 is DC CDI, and i'm looking at a cdi with adjustable rev limiter but it's ac, can't find a DC one.

despite posts here that say the A50 has an AC cdi, it's definitely DC. My question is has anyone converted to an AC cdi. looks like you could do it if you tapped a wire from the generator? problem is the generator has three wires, one is ground, which of the other two should you use.

buy the way in case anyone disagrees and thinks the A50 has an AC cdi, in the service manual wiring diagram, the generator only connects to the regulator, headlight switch and auto bystarter, NOT the CDI

second reason, i tested the voltage with a multimeter and there was 13v DC at the CDI power pin

third reason I used that power pin to run my tach, it works, if it was ac i'd probably have a fried tach

I think all you have to do is swap out the stator for a ac one and you are all good. Im looking to do that soon because I cant find a kymco motor cheap so I may have to go with a gy6 50 cc with ac cdi.so Ill have to trade stators.

phatboy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 02:29:52 AM »
cool thanks, i did some reading based on what you said, looks like the cdi is powered by a special winding in the stator, i had it all wrong.

not sure if its worth buying a new stator just to use an ac cdi, probably not
Agility 50 w/72cc BBK, A9 cam, stock airbox and exhaust (both drilled out), remove air tube restriction, stock head, stock carb, 105 main jet, CDI cut, smooth variator boss, stock variator w/5g rollers

njg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 04:53:48 PM »
I installed an AC performance CDI on my Agility everything works (lights, stator, compression, fuel, starter, (spark?), but it won't start.  I have a mechanic coming by today, and will update who ever might be interested on what happens.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 10:13:55 PM »
I installed an AC performance CDI on my Agility everything works (lights, stator, compression, fuel, starter, (spark?), but it won't start.  I have a mechanic coming by today, and will update who ever might be interested on what happens.

check out youtub theres a video on how to switch from dc to ac its a matter of switching the right wires.I might try that befor I replace the whole wire harnes.

Redundant

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 10:51:56 PM »
An AC system runs the cdi from the stator, and the Kymco's hybrid AC/DC system run the cdi from the battery.  In an AC system the cdi would be connected to the same lead that connects to the voltage regulator, as the other lead is for the headlights.  I said hybrid AC/DC system because a full DC system would have all the power channeled through the voltage regulator and run everything from the battery like a car does...

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 08:56:49 AM »

Did you try scooter-assassins.com?  They have unrestricted Kymco 4-stroke CDI units for various models.  I'm running one in my Kymco Sento 50.  Go here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181180697091?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 05:34:05 PM »
An AC system runs the cdi from the stator, and the Kymco's hybrid AC/DC system run the cdi from the battery.  In an AC system the cdi would be connected to the same lead that connects to the voltage regulator, as the other lead is for the headlights.  I said hybrid AC/DC system because a full DC system would have all the power channeled through the voltage regulator and run everything from the battery like a car does...

x 2 yes I had to swap out the stator but I still have to use the dc cdi box.from kymco because im still useing the wire harnes on the a50. I just have a motor that did use a ac cdi but the only way to get it working the best was to keep the wire harnes and swap the stator.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()