Author Topic: Brake Fluid Add LIKE 200i  (Read 4486 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Brake Fluid Add LIKE 200i
« on: July 04, 2013, 05:58:01 PM »
While doing my valves this morning - took a look in the space by the throttle grip and saw that my brake fluid reservoir window was showing very little brake fluid in the sight window.
Looked things over and saw no leaks, so hopefully the low level is due to some brake pad wear (though they looked OK) - plus the level was not real high when I received the scooter.

OK, you're gonna need a pizza cutter
As with most things on this Kymco, getting the plastic body panels apart without causing scratches or damage is the biggest challenge.
There are 3 clips holding the dash-board speedometer thing to the front headlight piece. One clip each end, and one in the middle. Remove the two 8mm screws and the 2 phillips screws on the big dash piece. Then slip the pizza cutter in the seam and gently pry up on the front piece - the clips will pop open and let you pull back the dash piece from the headlight piece. Do each end, and then the middle clip.

You do not have to unplug anything, let it gently hang there. Now remove the 12mm bolts holding the turn signals under the handlebar. Gently let them hang.  Now remove the mirrors. Now remove the 2 phillips screws holding the headlight piece to the scooter - You do not have to disconnect anything - let things hang gently. There is a pivot at the bottom of the headlight assembly piece, unclip it and you can easily move things far enought to get to the reservoirs. Open the lid of the reservoir - paying attention to the fact that the screws are not wickedly tight - remember that.  and replace the fluid. Use newly opened DOT 4 brake fluid. Add some and set the top pieces back on, carefull not to overfill and spill on your scooter! If level looks good, screw the lid back on - not too tight~!!

Then put the headlight assembly clips back on at the bottom.
Replace the 2 bigger phillips screws into the headlight assembly.
Now place the dash panel back up there, pressing the clips back together. Replace the 2 phillips screws, and the two 8mm screws. Replace the 12mm bolts in the turn signals. Replace the mirrors.  Check the brakes on foot before you take a ride.

Just take you time - those panels WILL come apart, and next time you'll know how to do things, like replace your headlight bulb.

The on-line LIKE manual was helpfull in showing me what the clips looked like -but I think their guy broke at least one of 'em!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 09:10:38 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Found LOW Brake FLUID -DIY top-up
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 05:59:20 PM »
more photos
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 06:00:38 PM »
more
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 06:01:58 PM »
more
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 06:04:19 PM »
Carefull not ot let anything fall down in here - or you're gonna have a long morning going after it!
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 01:44:07 AM »
Stig, you need not top up your brake fluid because there was no leak... that is normal... when you change your brake pads to new ones, the fluid will level up again...

Word of caution Stig, since you've topped up your fluid, be careful when you change your pads to new ones because the fluid will rise and overflow and might get on your panels and ruin your paint.... brake fluid is like a paint remover...

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 10:49:55 AM »
Stig, you need not top up your brake fluid because there was no leak... that is normal... when you change your brake pads to new ones, the fluid will level up again...

Word of caution Stig, since you've topped up your fluid, be careful when you change your pads to new ones because the fluid will rise and overflow and might get on your panels and ruin your paint.... brake fluid is like a paint remover...

Thanks Vivo, I will indeed keep an aye on the level when I do the pads.  I did think that at only 1200 miles the fluid should not be nearly empty - esp. with so much brake pad still visible down there. I think the level in the right reservoir was low upon delivery, and the pad wear took it down this low. I just did not want the line to start sucking air.
Shoot, when I do the brakes (how long do they last - and is there any actual benefit to replacing with other than OEM brake pads? I don't want to 'upgrade' the pads and damage the stock rotors.) I get to look forward to going back into those body panels!
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()