Author Topic: starting problem  (Read 4023 times)

Gizmo327

• Venox 250
    • View Profile
starting problem
« on: June 02, 2013, 08:30:24 AM »
been having an issue with the starter turning but the engine not turning. Thought it would be the starter clutch but was only doing it on cold mornings, and the starter itself was fine. The issue was gone the other day but then the bike died and I could not turn over the bike at all. After dropping off the bike at home and started to inspect I found out that the tarter was fried and in pieces inside. I then took the cover plate off and cranked the motor over as if i was going to adjust the valves and noticed that the gear that the starter turns was turning.

would this mean that the starter clutch is stuck on and kept the starter turning as i was driving down the highway?

thanks in advance for any tips. plus need good info on where i can get a decently priced starter :)

max oradea

• View Profile
Re: starting problem
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 09:42:56 AM »
how old is the bike and how long has the motor been acting up on and off, when was the last time you had a new battery?
possible the brushes are used up, because of old age.
there are places that rebuild starting motors, if only the brushes are fried then its possible to get it replaced.
My mechanic says always listen to the starting motor and make sure it disengage.
My guess is your battery is low and making it difficult for the motor to start the engine, old battery give off even lower voltage in cold mornings, and now your starter relay has been fried. fried starter relay can keep the motor engaged after you release the start button causing your motor to fail trying to keep up and getting dragged along with the crank.
if you can post a clear photo of the inside of the starting motor and see if its useable, if it is then you can bypass the starting relay with a test crank direct from battery.
Check your battery voltage as well and check if your starting relay clicks when you press the starting button.
Then we will know if you need a new motor, battery or a starting relay.
31210-KED9-900 0 MOTOR UNIT STARTER here is the part number.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 09:46:49 AM by max oradea »

Gizmo327

• Venox 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 04:16:31 PM »
The battery was replaced 2 months ago, the starter relay was replaced 2 weeks ago.

The bike is a 2007 but I bought it off a guy who went out of business a long time ago and he had it in storage. So I am the official fist registered owner. The bike has less than 2000KM's on it.

Other issues I had was the carbs had to be rebuilt in the first 2 weeks I had it. The clutch diode is shot, so that has to be replaced, and some wires were bad.

The inside of the starter came out in like 20 pieces and dust. Will take a picture and post.

Here is a picture of the part that I believe is the culprit for keeping the starter motor turning (starter clutch outer on the parts list)

max oradea

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 05:36:22 PM »
if those parts are new and only two months old then i believe you are right, starter clutch must be stuck or not working, making the motor run with the engine even on highways.
new starter motor and checking which part on the starting clutch is broken or not working right.
first time i heard this happen bad luck buddy.

Gizmo327

• Venox 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 05:52:09 PM »
here is the bad starter

Gizmo327

• Venox 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 05:56:47 PM »
I pulled the cover off and this is the inside of the crank case.

everything looks fine but i tried to turn the starter clutch an can't. As far as i am aware i should be able to turn it freely when not engaged... or am I wrong.

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 05:58:48 PM by Gizmo327 »

max oradea

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 06:43:34 PM »
sorry buddy i dont know about that part. cant help you there at all.
but you are right i think if the motor is going to start the engine it will have to be a rigid structure but after the start it should disconnect and become loss.
so possibly something on that starting clutch unit is not working, the bits of scrap that came out of the starting motor should be the copper contacts and i also see some wires from the starter motor coils, looks like been twisted off by the engine, must be because how can a electric motor function or spin without those parts working.

Gizmo327

• Venox 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 07:45:20 AM »
took the one way clutch off and found on the other side that the screws on the housing came loose and locked onto the gear behind it, you can see that 2 out of the 3 crews were rubbed down.

max oradea

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 09:56:32 AM »
oh dear, 2 out of three is not a good sign. now you know what the original cause for the failing starting motor should be straight forward from here.

Gizmo327

• Venox 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 06:14:59 AM »
all 3 of them were loose and i was able to remove them by hand (no tools) not good at all :(

max oradea

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 08:06:13 PM »
possibly the guy before had some play time with it. i got a 2004 bike with less then 200km on the clock when i got it in 2010/2011 i think. so you should not have a problem if the bike was just sitting for years. most likely he did some work on it. all the wires on my bike were like new.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()