Author Topic: New tires with pics  (Read 4519 times)

Jridley

• View Profile
New tires with pics
« on: May 10, 2013, 12:28:23 AM »
I got new tires b/c I dropped my bike on a wet turn. The stock tires are horrible in wet, I'm a new rider, and I don't have the knowledge or skill to simply adjust my riding style yet. These tires are Michelin city grips. Front tire is 120/70/14, back tire is 140/60/14. I have only had them for a few hours, no rain. So I have no knowledge of anything other than about 30 miles of testing them out after installation.

My thoughts so far? They are great, bit sluggish (but only a little, barley noticeable) but the feeling when turning feels more stable, it feels like I'm going a bit faster, and from-stop acceleration has increased at least 10% (although over all acceleration has decreased a little). The tires feel safer and they look better (no more ice skate size tires).

Pictures --> http://imgur.com/a/QnyuO

A BIG thanks to Vivo for all his help!

Vivo

• View Profile
Re: New tires with pics
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 02:36:56 AM »

You are very much welcome!  ;)

Those are great looking tires!!!  Next is breaking-in those tires... no hard braking and hard cornering... just normal riding and some figure eights on a dry pavement.... do this for about 100 miles...  ;)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 02:52:36 AM by Vivo »

ninja

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 07:21:10 AM »
Thanks for posting. I've been thinking of getting those same tires so it's nice to see some comments on them.
2013 Super8 150

Nori

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 10:11:49 PM »
Nice tires , yup the stock one's are like you know :p
Very bad for rainy season , but at least clean dat kymco before photo shooting :p
Take care , i wash it about every day . There is too much dust in my country :/

MassScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 05:27:33 PM »
I don't ride when it's raining out, so the stock CST tires are fine. Down the road I will replace them with something better. But...As Vivo (& others) mention, they take forever to wear-out. That's the upside to nylon-based tires.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 05:29:26 PM by MassScoot »
Gloucester, MA. (Home of the Perfect Storm)
2012 Silver Kymco GT300i (Biondi Windshield/Shad SH40 Cargo Topcase)
2015 White Honda PCX150 (Shad SH37 Topcase)
2013 Yellow Lance PCH125 (Shad SH33 Topcase)

Jridley

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 01:24:09 PM »
I don't ride when it's raining out, so the stock CST tires are fine. Down the road I will replace them with something better. But...As Vivo (& others) mention, they take forever to wear-out. That's the upside to nylon-based tires.

Yeah that was my plan as well until I encountered 90 degree turn that looked like a 45 degree curve in the rain. $10,000 later in the form of deductibles from the ER and surgery and two months forced bed rest I've come to realize that for me, super long lasting tires aren't worth it. I could have bought a lot of tires with $10,000. 

MassScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 03:12:12 PM »
Yeah that was my plan as well until I encountered 90 degree turn that looked like a 45 degree curve in the rain. $10,000 later in the form of deductibles from the ER and surgery and two months forced bed rest I've come to realize that for me, super long lasting tires aren't worth it. I could have bought a lot of tires with $10,000.

I'm very sorry to hear of your troubles. That really sucks! Funny...Even Kymco's best scooters (I own a GTi300) & it comes supplied with Maxxis nylon-based tires. Maxxis was bought-out from Cheng-Shin (CST) Maxxis makes an excellent nylon tire....but not up to speed with Michelin, Pirelli etc. I wished you knew "up-front" that nylon tires don't do well in the rain, as I'm sure you would have switched them out ASAP! If you notice....Almost "all" scooter manufacturers issue OEM nylon tires these days. It's all profit margin my friend! If you don't cruise in the rain...then you're all set with stock OEM tires. 

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 01:44:52 AM »
@MassScoot: You are 100% right about those nylon tires... I had a worse experience because my previous bike not only had OEM nylons but they were CHEAP-Never Heard Brand nylon tires.  I just happened to hit a crack on a wet pavement and the bike sled and fell... Damn, it was not even raining! ...  :(

MassScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 11:54:28 PM »
@MassScoot: You are 100% right about those nylon tires... I had a worse experience because my previous bike not only had OEM nylons but they were CHEAP-Never Heard Brand nylon tires.  I just happened to hit a crack on a wet pavement and the bike sled and fell... Damn, it was not even raining! ...  :(

Vivo: I truly value your insight on these forums. You seem too me like a very bright/intelligent person with all of your posts. I'm sorry to hear about your wipe-out! Nylon tires aren't that bad "if" you don't cruise in the rain. If my main set of transportation was my scooter, then I would changed them ASAP! My diesel (TDI) VW Jetta is my main source (yes...diesel is finally coming back to the USA!) Other then that...boating takes my time in the summer & of course the scooter when I have the time. Nylon does the trick for me as it's just a "joyride" all of the time.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 01:37:31 AM »
MassScoot: Wow! that's a compliment...  ;)  Diesel cars in the U.S. of A.? What happened to the ol' American ego? Just joking...   ;D   I have several cars, my latest is the Mazda 3 but my daily ride is my Kymco... why?... traffic!  We have narrow roads and city streets... talk about urban planning.. geez...  I guess, that's life on these islands and I have to live with it...  As for scooter tires, Asian brands are more popular here and a lot less expensive.. we have Mizzle, Swallow, Deestone, IRC, etc... Guess you havent heard of those brands huh... They come from Thailand, Malaysia, China, etc.  My car tires is Gaja Tunggal from Indonesia... the largest tire manufacturer in Southeast Asia... very good tires... ride safe!

Nori

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 09:05:41 PM »
Yup Masscot is right
Massive respect to Vivo
Intellegence : Asian :p (kidding im not a racist)
Diesel was always present in my city and that's why i dont like
but of course its very economic ;)
And a photo beast with classic :p

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 01:19:59 AM »
Clean scoot! There's nothing better than a clean scoot!   ;)

andsetinn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 10:34:20 PM »
Please check the arrow on the front tire if it's rotating in the right direction. Usually (but not always) the pattern "points" to the front when seen from top. It makes it less likely to aquaplane in the wet.
Red on one side, blue on the other. You must like to hear people argue. :)
My advices are Old Timer tricks that need operating braincells and general care when employed.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 11:13:34 PM »

[/quote]

I think Vivo is a Michelin salesman! (if you squint, he looks just like Bib)
I agree, good tires ---will be testing them in the wet soon enough!
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

PassedByAScooter

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 03:02:23 AM »
 great choice by both you and Vivo!  once fully broken in,  you'll be glued to the pavement! enjoy!

2010 Kymco Yager
2009 Kymco Agility 125

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()