Author Topic: rear shock adjustment  (Read 8446 times)

donandrews

• View Profile
rear shock adjustment
« on: April 28, 2013, 04:11:16 AM »
How to I adjust the rear shocks on my Like 200i? There is nothing in the manual. I know I must twist them, but what do I use to do so and which way softens them?
2012 Like 200i   
Lusting for People 300GTI, but recently purchased Vespa 250GTSie instead.
Brownsville OR 
Home of Willamette Country Music Festival and
movie "Stand By Me"

Normal is Relative

big blue

• View Profile
Re: rear shock adjustment
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 04:45:50 PM »
The rear shocks may be adjusted in three ways. You can use a strap wrench,or a pair of channel lock pliers with a rag wrapped around the shock to protect the chrome finish. You can also purchase a spanner wrench made for this purpose at most motorcycle shops but it must be the right size for your particular shock circumference. When adjusting you will see that there are three levels on the adjuster. Turn the adjuster ring on the shock(just below the spring) to to select the detent on the adjuster to the level you want. The lower the "bump" the lower the setting. Hint- the Likes usually come from the factory set at high. Hope this helps...Len ;)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 04:49:34 PM by big blue »
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 06:20:29 PM »
From a newby - I turned mine as well, one setting to look for a little more forgiving ride - used a rag and a pair of large pliers - turns pretty easy. Mine was set at 'hard' as well from the factory. The spring is compressed - turning it one direction lengthens the assembly & takes some pressure off the spring (softer ride) , the other stiffens the spring (harder ride) . By looking at the collar holding the bottom of the spring, you can see the detents, turn collar to change the pressure on the spring.
Also, when I checked my tire pressure - found both tires running 10 lbs too much air - fixed that and rides considerably better!
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 07:38:18 PM »
Hey Old Schoot, My dealer's mechanic told me that pumping to tires up to 35lbs makes them last longer. I've always gone by the factory's recommendation which is 24lbs. front and 29lbs. rear. At 35 lbs. it was like riding a motocrosser set up for dirt track,especially with the shocks at full hard!
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 02:28:56 AM »
Hey Old Schoot, My dealer's mechanic told me that pumping to tires up to 35lbs makes them last longer. I've always gone by the factory's recommendation which is 24lbs. front and 29lbs. rear. At 35 lbs. it was like riding a motocrosser set up for dirt track,especially with the shocks at full hard!

Yes, tires last longer, better fuel economy, and scoot runs faster.... ;)

91cavgt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 12:12:19 PM »
If you combine my weight along with the weight of all the stuff I always carry in my Like, it comes out to about 170 pounds.  I tried all 3 settings on the shock and found the middle setting to be the best comprimise of smoothness and control. 

The light setting seemed to be bottoming out the suspension too much on bumps and the high setting seemed to transmit every bump in the road giving a harsh ride. 
2012 Like 200i  in black

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 02:40:16 PM »

Factory recommendation here as well. A simple bicycle pumps is all that's needed to do the job. I find the rims and the stock tires of the Kymco hold the pressure steady and I have yet to have to fill the tires because they leek out over time. I only fill because the low column of air these tires hold loose a little with each pressure test I make.

donandrews

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 12:52:00 AM »
Many thanks for the tips. I (and my butt) thank you!
2012 Like 200i   
Brownsville OR 
movie "Stand By Me"

Normal is Relative

tclhb

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 03:26:24 AM »
Under or over inflating tires can cause damage to the tires. It is not safe.
Tom. Huntington Beach, California

spatechjohn

• 2013 Like 200i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 05:15:11 PM »
In general, if the weight is greater (bigger person or more stuff), a firmer the shock will give you a smoother ride because it doesn't bottom out as badly. If there's less weight on a firm shock it can feel like you're riding a hardtail because it doesn't compress to absorb the bumps. I'm 225lbs & my Like came set at the firmest setting. It rides fine so I haven't priced the spanners for this scooter, but when I had my Sportster bought one for about $15-$20. Channel locks & a rag will work, but be careful not to hurt yourself or the bike.

donandrews

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 02:48:29 AM »
Thanks for all the info. Got a strap wrench from our friendly local hardware store ($17.95 - should have been about half that) and both shocks just popped right into the second detent. Left side was a bit of a challenge because is not much room. Ride is much better now (185 lbs, 5"10')
2012 Like 200i   
Brownsville OR 
movie "Stand By Me"

Normal is Relative

pasusca

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2017, 08:17:49 PM »
What size spanner/wrench is needed for the 200i?
2016 Like 200i: Kymco trim bars
2004 Yamaha Vino 50: BBK

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2017, 08:46:50 PM »
Usually the spanner is in your tool set under the seat.

If you are of medium hand strength, you can easily turn it by hand (in a leather working glove).

The only problem is to position the hand properly to benefit from torque/lever, when the scoot is on the ground. When it is hoisted up (on a table), it is done very easily.

Don't forget to adjust both shocks to the same setting if there are two.

---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2017, 08:48:23 PM »
What size spanner/wrench is needed for the 200i?
Yeah, no wrench in the LIKE200I tool bag, so...
A set of large channel locks after wrapping the shock in old leather work glove....or heavy rag on the right shock.
Left shock I used leather glove on hand to turn it.
A little oil or WD40 to lube it first maybe.
Or choose a shock wrench off of ebay.
Block of wood tapping cog with a hammer to spin it?
Lots of ways to turn 'em.
(I now use a shock wrench from a Honda Forza)
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

pasusca

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2017, 09:11:44 PM »
Thanks! I clicked them down one position with channel-lock pliers. Haven't yet tried turning them up a notch.
2016 Like 200i: Kymco trim bars
2004 Yamaha Vino 50: BBK

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()