Author Topic: 500 RI won't start  (Read 8748 times)

sissy mary

• View Profile
Re: 500 RI won't start
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 02:11:04 PM »
If his battery is charged up or even a little low it would crank the engine. It has to be some thing else. I have had starters on cars that developed dead shorts and no amount of battery power would turn the engine over. It could be a simple relay or something. TAKE IT TO A DEALER. :-*
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 05:30:08 PM by sissy mary »

BigOrange

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 09:18:55 PM »
Trickle Charger, jumper cables, chanting, possible chicken sacrifice!  Sea Foam.
I wish I could ride more and drive less!
2009 Xciting 500i White!
2007 Xciting 250 Orange!

SylSki

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2013, 09:29:53 PM »
I want to update the 500 Forum as to my problem with the X500. First of all, I had the battery out and had it checked as I mentioned. Next, I went to my dealership and they lent me a New Battery to try. That didn't work either. Service came and picked up the unit and it went to the work bench right away and it was found to have a bad starter. Meanwhile !, I went to sales and checked on a Silver Wing and one thing led to another and I traded in for a new
Silver Wing 600 ABS. I don't know if it is proper to tell about my test ride and ride after purchase on here so maybe someone could let me know if it is and I will be happy to tell about what I found. I was leary about doing this but all thought's in my mind and wifes' said to make the change. I want to thank everyone on this Forum that had input to my problem and I guess it wouldn't be wise to come back talking about the new one. One thing I did find out which I was not aware of is Kymco make's all the unit's for Honda other than the Silver Wing. I was told the Silver Wing is their main output only.

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2013, 10:52:15 PM »
Kymco makes the engines for the new BMW scooters,(the 600 & 650cc scooters). They also make most if not all of the single cylinder engines for BMW motorcycles. The Kymco factory was started by Honda in 1963, and makes quite a few things for Honda also to this day. I don't mean to be rude by saying this, but to quit on Kymco because of one faulty starter,(probably a fluke)? And then to trade your bike in for probably nothing on a VERY over priced and over rated Honda S W. Well sir, your a fool with more money than me! Once again, sorry, but it's true. That's my 2 cents. Good bye and good luck with your purchase. And please don't tell us in future post what junk we have purchased. You didn't even give your X500 a good try before bailing on Kymco. >:( :( :o :'(

SylSki

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 11:10:47 PM »
Well, I guess you told me off but keep in mind I never said the Kymco was junk...you did. I had good service as long as I had it. The faulty starter is not the
only reason I passed it on but no sense explaining. I would never call anyone a fool for what they do but than again there are some people that do that. It takes much more of a person to understand things without guessing and commenting wrong but..... All I can say is I've been polite all throguh this and regarded people (all) as friends but I have to go to (-all). Take Care.

BigOrange

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2013, 05:37:48 AM »
Other than the frame and plastics. My 2009 Kymco Xciting 500 ri is just about a mobile parts bin of Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Aprilia, Bmw, Peugeot, and Gilera parts.  Kymco manufactures parts for all of the above manufacturers.  My tires were outfitted and tested by weight and tolerance for an Aprilia Atlantic 500.  The chassis came from that bike too.  My engine shares many of the same set up as the Aprilia Atlantic, my brakes are off a mid 90's Honda Gold wing.  The rectifier is off of a early 90's Honda Nighthawk. The switches and toggles are from a nighthawk of the same era.  Blah, Blah, Blah.  Best part I bought it for 2000 put 650 into it and 6 thousand miles later. I still love it.  Probably could still sell it for 2650.

The Silver Wing is awesome. 
I wish I could ride more and drive less!
2009 Xciting 500i White!
2007 Xciting 250 Orange!

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2013, 01:24:13 PM »
Sorry again, (& I am really trying not to be rude, honest), but yes you are a fool for giving up on the bike. IN YOUR WORDS, (It's a 2012 with aprx 2000 miles)!!!! It wasn't even broken in yet ??? You had one faulty starter, (that was under warranty), got all upset and then stated, IN YOUR WORDS, (if this is the nature of the bike or what ever you may have to look at purchasing some other brand). And in your march 10th post you crapped all over Kymco. I order parts and there here in 3 days. Try getting parts for your Silver wing in 3 days! That is the biggest reason why I do not buy Jap bikes. They make to many models and don't stock any parts. The last 2 Jap bikes I had my parts had to be back orderd from japan. I had a Kawasaki that blew a head gasket, (yes the head gasket), the gasket had to be sent from Japan. Almost 3 months latter, and with the riding seaon gone I was on the road again. All this for a 2 buck piece of card board? I should have made one my self. And this was a brand new bike. But do I crap on Kawasaki on a Kawasaki forum to Kawasaki owners, NO. I rode my old crappy, almost 40,000 mile carbed 2007 X500 the other day in cold weather for over 100 miles. It started right up, purred like a kitten, and got 50 MPG. I suggest since you no longer own a Kymco you leave the forum. Good by, & good luck with your purchase. I think the Silver wing is a very fine scoot. :-*

Oldscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2013, 02:11:54 PM »
I think my 500 is one of the best and most reliable bikes I've owned.  I had to replace the fuel pump and O2 sensor within the first 1000 miles.  That happens to new bikes (and other vehicles) from time to time.  I had to replace the starter in a new Aprillia and replace the fuel pump in a new Vespa 300 GTS.  Sylski could have taken his bike to the dealer and let the dealer fix it. That is what warranties are for.  It's a shame he bailed out so soon. I hope the SW doesn't develop any problems; it could get really expensive.     
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 01:30:01 PM by Oldscoot »

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2013, 10:13:08 PM »
I agree, Honda parts as well as the other 3 Japanese brands are very $$$$. The italians bikes are real high to, and getting parts can take for ever as well. Almost every new car or bike I have bought have had some sort of issue with in a short period of time. But was covered by the warranty, and were generally fine after that. I had a new Harley dresser that was a 2 year night mare. You name it and it broke down. A real lemon. I went back to BMW's after that. This is why I never take a new vehical on a long road trip untill it has been broken in, and has had time to sort out any issues like a bad electrical/mechanical part that gives up the ghost with in the first few miles. These things happen all the time. :-*

ScooterCommuter

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2013, 10:38:49 PM »
Personally, I've found kymco build quality and reliability to be way up there, but more than that kymco just seem to build scoots that fit me. I just found myself in the market for a new maxi and spent two weeks sitting on and test riding a many as I could find.  Tried a Bergman, a Tmax, a Majesty, even a Silver Wing - nothing fit me as well as the Xciting, so that's the one that won.  The used tmax I tried came close but didn't feel as comfortable. So I'm buying my third kymco vehicle :)

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2013, 12:48:09 AM »
I agree. My longest day on the X500 was 1004 miles. I never did that on any of my several Harley & BMW full dress touring bikes. That says a lot! :-*

SylSki

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2013, 10:58:33 AM »
The X500 was my 3rd Kymco and I've had no problem's with any of them until the X500. Put put thing's straight on this Forum, I never
"bailed" out on Kymco as it was put. I simply went for what I think is a step up for me and not due to the "no start bit". Someone else
put word's down to their own understanding of thing's which were un-correct. Never-the-less it was nice being with most of you in this
Forum and wish you the best with your unit's.

mrjlube

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2013, 04:55:16 PM »
Thanks sylski !! I dont think anyone ment to sound rude though! I hope you will still be a part of our forum. You enjoy that new honda, very nice machine....... please let us know how you like it! Also I would love to see some pics of it!!!!

Stay safe.......Happy riding!!

SylSki

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2013, 06:31:49 PM »
Mrjlube, thank you for that post. I did feel bad when one said not to come back here and had done nothing to that individual. Anyway, I don't mind at all coming back in to talk about my progress with the new wheels. The problem I have is such as I always had with automobil's and that is when I go in for repair's or service, I like to walk around and look at the stock! If something strike's me and I can manage the switch..there I go. So, of course this is the same with my new hobby, "scooter's". I honestly think this is my top buy and I like the new thin's that are included on it. I am 6' 1" at 250 lbs and I need either a X500 or the now SWing. I purchased the unit, went out the door as they had it waiting and darn if it didn't start raining as soon as I got out. Riding home anyway, I had a total of 5 miles on it and didn't get the feel of it of course. I will say, the brakes ABS, I never had and they are really great. I don't want to make comparison's really but one thing I have to mention is that the control especially going around corner's and such is much easier for me. The power is un-real! I have to be careful not to do wheelies! Anyway Mrjlube, much remain's to be seen, I did get a very good deal on the exchange of scooter's being I purchased my previous one's from them and Honda has a great drive on right now..money wise.

Oldscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2013, 09:47:51 PM »
The X500 was my 3rd Kymco and I've had no problem's with any of them until the X500. Put put thing's straight on this Forum, I never
"bailed" out on Kymco as it was put. I simply went for what I think is a step up for me and not due to the "no start bit". Someone else
put word's down to their own understanding of thing's which were un-correct. Never-the-less it was nice being with most of you in this
Forum and wish you the best with your unit's.

SylSki - that was my language and it was never meant to be rude. I said it was a "shame" that you sold your Kymco to change to another brand.  My statement expressed a sense of loss that you sold your Kymco.  This is a Kymco forum and we hate to lose a fellow Kymco brother or sister.  Sorry my friend - no insult intended - only an observation from someone who has had a lot of new bikes with a lot of new little problems that had to be worked out.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()