Author Topic: Super 8 150 light cutting off when acelelrating  (Read 9760 times)

sentinex

• View Profile
Super 8 150 light cutting off when acelelrating
« on: February 28, 2013, 11:39:23 PM »
Hi guys for the last week i notice something funny about my lights, they will work fine in idle (both low beams and high beams) but once I throttle up the light's will die and they will comeback again once the bike is in idle again. If I turn the bike off and on the lights will work fine for 10 seconds then it will cut again. This problem has me baffle, I checked the battery, the cables charge and I haven't been able to pinpoint the problem.

When I talked to my dealer he recommended I get the bike in, sadly they are 70 miles form me and it will be a major problem getting the bike to them, specially since they might keep it for a week, so let me ask you, does anyone had this problem before and what was the resolution of it, maybe is something I am over looking.

I think you in advance for any help provided, hopefully the resident geniuses will be able to sterr me in the right direction. I included a short video of the issue

Vivo

• View Profile
Re: Super 8 150 light cutting off when acelelrating
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 01:24:09 AM »
Well, hello there Sentinex! Welcome back....  I think your problem is a faulty light control module... try by-passing it and see if the lights work... if it does, then that's the culprit...  Normally, the light control module is the one dimming your lights when you are at idle. 

Report back on the status.. ;)

sentinex

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 04:21:24 AM »
hi vivo great to see you again, yup I am back. Listen would you be able to tell me or point out where is the light control module and what it looks like? because i looked in the manual and I couldn't find it.

Thank you again in advance

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 06:02:18 AM »
It's just in there.... Remove the socket and place two jumper wires like in the picture...

Here's another picture..

« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 06:15:01 AM by Vivo »

sentinex

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 07:04:29 AM »
thanks vivo once again you the best!!!! i will try to do this, I wil let you know how it went.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 08:02:19 AM »
You are most welcome! ;)

blitzjb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 08:41:39 PM »
Is he starting the scooter in a shut garage?
2012 Kymco Super 8 150

sentinex

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 10:10:18 PM »
no blitz i just started that time with the garage door closed so you can see the effect, i don't have a dying wish trust me :P.
Vivo I have another question when u jump the connector do i jump white to white and blue to blue and make sure other cables are unplug? I ask because in the first try the 7 A fuse went bye bye in the battery compartment.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 01:25:03 AM »
Yes, blue to blue, white to white... If the fuse popped, must be your jumpers are not snug.....or...might be a short....somewhere.  The idea here is very simple...just to by-pass that box... the lights should light up normally unless there's another problem...

DoubleSC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 10:07:58 AM »
Sentinex, if you've got a US bike, the lights may be wired a bit different.  The headlights here draw power around 5.8A from a dedicated 7A Headlight fuse (that is fed into the Light Control Box).  The headlight Hi/Lo switch just passes only control signal into the Light Control Box (probably around 0.1A?), and it draws power from a different 7A "Accessory Fuse" that is shared with other things like brake/tail lights, turn signals, instrument panel, CDI, etc.. 

What this means is that if you simply jumper the Blue-to-Blue and White-to-White wires at the connector, you'll risk overloading the 7A Accessory fuse.  The set of blue/white wires that come from the hi/lo beam switch actually go into a circuit in the Light Control Box, along with a sense of the engine RPM, triggers a relay.  The relay then allows power from the dedicated 7A Headlight Fuse to flow through and out to the other set of blue/white wires that are connected to the headlights.  I've attached a rough schematic.

If you're bike is under warranty, I'd suggest just send a link of the video to Kymco USA.   They may be able to send you out a new Light Control Box since it's pretty clear from your video that its likely faulty.

DSC

« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 10:09:35 AM by DoubleSC »

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 01:17:33 AM »
Sentinex, if you've got a US bike, the lights may be wired a bit different.

Damn! I forgot about that! U.S. bikes don't have parklights and headlight switches even...

sentinex

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 04:12:09 PM »
yup doubleSc and vivo are correct US bikes are wired differently, there is no way to bypass the assy light control unit without blowing fuses. I ended up taking the bike to the local bike shop where they diagnosed the light control unit as defective (there is the pulse sent from the cdi to the lights) Then called my dealer and a new light control unit is on their way.

Sometimes I wish all bikes where one single standard, but that only wishful thinking, thank you to all the members of the kymco forums for they help and input,

sentinex

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 09:50:26 PM »
Well after Taking it to the local bike shop where it diagnose it to be the light assembly unit, 2 wrong parts from kymco (the 2012 super 8 150 uses the 2011 light ass unit) i finally got the correct part and after I changed it still doing the same. >:( 

It seems i ran outta options i am going to have to take it back to the dealer. I keep you all posted what was the issue.

Nori

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 09:53:57 PM »
well guys by the way , i got also the problem with my headlights [short] they go off after 2 seconds automatically..

only in long lights its stays on  , 2 weeks ago i started my scooter s8 50cc 4t 2007 without battery went for a ride
and there is no issue with lights , but with battery it comes back , so the cdi box :/
bypassing the light control would that have any risk ? even my s8 is a way older 2007 model ?

spongella

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 12:41:45 PM »
sentinex,

Had the same problem the first year I had my Super 8, took it to the dealer and he couldn't believe it, very weird, but he changed the light control module and it's been good ever since.

Sponge

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()