Author Topic: hot exhaust  (Read 6229 times)

dirtymudflap

• View Profile
hot exhaust
« on: February 28, 2013, 05:36:48 PM »
hi guys bike been running well recently now on a short run of say about 5 miles the exhaust gets very hot towards the end any ideas its a 55 reg a/c super 9

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: hot exhaust
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 06:20:31 PM »
If anything like my first Kymco, an Agility 50, it is restricted in a number of ways, including jetting on the lean side which skyrockets the exhaust heat dramatically.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

dirtymudflap

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 06:48:54 PM »
yea the exhaust still has all the restrictions on it i am still getting full power 40 ish mph just the end of the exhaust is extremely hot was thinking blockage but i would have thought it would slow down maybe the cat is blocked i am at a loss cannot take it too far worried about something melting lol

thebatman

• The Bat lives on... like the fkn Energizer Bunny
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 02:38:20 PM »
drill a hole in the rear of the exhaust to see if it helps...

Upjet as well??...
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:
"A goal without a plan is just a dream"......

naughty lee

• 64 mph and pushing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 07:25:10 PM »
Exhausts are supposed to get hot ffs!

They are taking red hot gasses directly out of the engine.
Do not be alarmed by this. I've burnt myself lots of times on hot pipes.
Some bigger bikes, the pipes turn blue with the heat. Even tail pipes will take your skin off after just a five minute journey.

Don't sweat it ! Forget about drilling holes or altering jets

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 02:37:15 AM »
I was a victim of a hot pipe... took my ankle skin off like a baked potato... dang! 

dirtymudflap

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 01:00:42 PM »
yes i know exhausts are supposed to get hot FFS THAT DOESNT HELP just after a bit of friendly advice.
and for those interested i think it wasnt getting enough oil mix so was running hot so i am putting oil in fuel for now.
thanks to all for positive or helpful posts

naughty lee

• 64 mph and pushing
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 09:05:56 AM »
I think that you are worrying about nothing. Just because your pipe is red hot, it does not mean your bike is not getting enough oil. Stop worrying! In sure your bike is fine.

thebatman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 01:11:20 PM »
and for those interested i think it wasnt getting enough oil mix so was running hot so i am putting oil in fuel for now.

Sorry but I cant help but wait to see who blows first from sh** being to hot....
Dirtymudflap...yeah, I know as well pipes get hot as well BUT the fks can be tooo fkn hot.
When you see "blue" pipes... sh** is to hot...to lean... Should be a "gold" color. If the cat gets clogged, the pipe can run to hot that'd why I mentioned drilling a hole. (I have an extra hole in BOTH the oem pipes.. Hey, it gets extra gases out and sounds better...lol (drilled 5 in the ags pipe)

Temp on the pipes are why someone made the EGT sensor... BECAUSE it's not suppesed to be too hot.  ;)

Glad you figured the oil mix was incorrect.. good job.  ;) Keep us posted
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:

naughty lee

• 64 mph and pushing
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 03:39:41 PM »

Sorry but I cant help but wait to see who blows first from sh** being to hot....
Dirtymudflap...yeah, I know as well pipes get hot as well BUT the fks can be tooo fkn hot.
When you see "blue" pipes... sh** is to hot...to lean... Should be a "gold" color. If the cat gets clogged, the pipe can run to hot that'd why I mentioned drilling a hole. (I have an extra hole in BOTH the oem pipes.. Hey, it gets extra gases out and sounds better...lol (drilled 5 in the ags pipe)

Temp on the pipes are why someone made the EGT sensor... BECAUSE it's not suppesed to be too hot.  ;)

Glad you figured the oil mix was incorrect.. good job.  ;) Keep us posted

You know something, you are offering information to someone who is impessionable, on something you clearly dont understand.
Drilling holes in pipes means they are no longer "gas tight" they will fail the uk annual test for this.
There's also likely to be a drop in back pressure which will lose the scoot power.

Here's the problem with advice on forums, you never know the credentials of the person offering it!

I'm 42 yrs old. Military background, I've owned half a dozen two stroke bikes if varying capacity and a dozen 600cc-1000cc
I do my own servicing and repairs on my motorcycles and jeeps.
I'm telling the original poster that every exhaust gets hot, damned hot !
Drilling holes in it and meddling with mixtures etc because of this, is a schoolboy error !

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 01:39:07 AM »
Before any further arguments... I have one question... How hot is the hot we are talking about here? dirtymudflap, can you elaborate more on what you mean by hot? because all exhaust pipes are supposed to get hot....very hot... 

PassedByAScooter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 02:25:53 AM »
I'm so happy the riding weather is coming and I'm back on the boards. It's heated (pun intended) debates like these that makes it hard to shut off the computer.   ;D

2010 Kymco Yager
2009 Kymco Agility 125

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 02:31:31 AM »
this is hot!!!!

or this!!!

« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 02:33:24 AM by Vivo »

PassedByAScooter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 02:33:27 AM »
Yes! I agree! Let's all debate over her!  :o

2010 Kymco Yager
2009 Kymco Agility 125

thebatman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 11:52:24 AM »

You know something, you are offering information to someone who is impessionable, on something you clearly dont understand.
Drilling holes in pipes means they are no longer "gas tight" they will fail the uk annual test for this.
There's also likely to be a drop in back pressure which will lose the scoot power.

I must f***ing know something there naughty... I ride 5 god dasm kymco's and here in the shiny state of N.C. I have a hole drilled in the oem s9 pipes.. BOTH BTW... I have holes in the ag pipe.. SEVERAL  other memebers have done the same mudda fkn  thing.. No body said you HAD to do it... It was a suggestion. The fkn EGT gauges are made and fitted so YOUR GOD DAM PIPE DOESNT GET TOOOOOOO FKN HOT. yes, DUH pipes get hot but the gases are NOT suppose to be overly hot... What the ever dude...

I am glad the original poster found out that he WAS NOT getting enough oil... which would make the pipe OVERLY HOT smart ass
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()