Author Topic: White 2005 refurb and build (lots of pics!!!)  (Read 4883 times)

ScooterTweaks

• Official scooter nerd
    • View Profile
White 2005 refurb and build (lots of pics!!!)
« on: November 29, 2012, 04:49:19 AM »
Hello gang!

Long time lurker first time posting.  I own a scooter service/performance shop in San Marcos, Tx. and specialize in Chinese and Taiwanese scooters.  I truly love the GY6 based engines, very fun and powerful.  However, I am a bit of a snob...  My favorite bikes are by Derbi, Aprilia, and Kymco by far.  I have owned 8 Derbi scooters so far and currently own 2, and 6 Aprilias total owning 2 now.  I also like Kymco particularly.  I feel this brand is by far the best bang for the buck and possibly under rated!  I have owned 7 Kymco scooters so far and currently own 3, currently looking for a good deal on a Venox 250.  Ok, so now you know a bit about me, including how much I love two strokes damnit!!!

ON TO THE SCOOTER AT HAND!

So I recently found this gem of a deal,  2005 Kymco People 50, $50 no title or keys but all complete and in great need of clean up.  

Buddy seat removed and bike washed

Then after getting the fuel flushed, replacing the fuel/vacuum lines, flushing the oil tank and pump, flushing the gear oil, replacing the plug, replacing the belt, flushing the brake fluid, and all the other little misc things to maker her safe I went ahead and put a healthy 100 miles one it.  Top speed via gps was about 46mph.

Now on to the changes and customizing!!!  First I pulled the headset and am replacing the handle bars, grips, and gauges with downhill bars and a KOSO DB01R digital gauge with tach, speedo, and all the little indicators as before.  The bars and grips on are on order so I don't have pics of those yet, instead, you will see pics of my stock bars stripped down.  Also, since I am ridding of the whole top set I am putting a new headlight on the bike mounted to the frame and poking through the front plastic cover.  I will be doing some fiberglassing to make the finished cover plate using the chrome plastic cover.

The headlight mounting

Then a shot of the light mounted with and without mock up bezzle

I pulled the wiring harness at the main plugs to remove lots of not needed wire and the gauge lighting.

Here is the gauge I am using, better pics soon once mounted on bike.  I will do my best to offer more.  Also some of you may have noticed the missing blinkers etc, that info is coming up.

I hate hate hate the chrome bling trim on these bikes, so, I have taken it all off and prepped it for black paint.  First remove all the trim.

Then scuff with a paint scuff pad

Scuffed on the right, stock chrome on the left.  Personally I actually like the scuffed look, kinda like aluminum and would look good on a dark colored bike.  Ready for paint!

Took the parts home and cleaned them with hot water and soap after being scuffed.

Adding LED bulbs to the rear, no real modifications needed, adding LED bulbs to the front, requires drilling new holes, running the wire, and mounting.  I am choosing to run my blinkers as running lights on all the time, but still blink using one relay per right/left side activated by the blinker relay.  Simple and accurate.
Here is the particular items for the front.

Bulb socket

Front LED

Load sensing blinker relay

Mounted front LED

If you notice I bent the LED bulbs on one side inward toward the reflective are, this made a huge difference in how bright its total output is.

The rear was simple, just replace the bulb dummy!

I have a Tecnigas pipe for it, a 17.5mm and 19mm Delorto carb that I will try out as well as a new intake manifold and reeds.  Eventually this bike will get the Malossi 70 kit and Malossi full transmission.  For now I will be running the stock engine with higher compression, light exhaust porting, and 6g Dr. Pulley sliders in the stock variator.

Tomorrow I will be finishing the wiring harness and I will share the details of how to wire that up as well as the finished painted trim parts.  Later I will show the finished product in good outdoor light so you can get a good idea of the changes.  Hope you like what I have going on here.  Any questions about what I am or have done are very welcome.

More to come...

Update:

Got the painting done and it looks great!  This particular black looks a lot black powder coating.  I'm very pleased.

And I got my relay pack for the blinkers setup and finished as well.  I will make a small write up in the middle of this for how to wire this up including a wiring diagram in case anyone wants to setup running lights as well.

Here is the gauge and bracket for this temporary setup with the stock bars.

I used the stock threaded hole for my bracket that the stock plastic headset bolted to.

I am pretty happy with the outcome so far.  I'll try my best to have a relevant write up on the blinker/running lights over the weekend.  Should have the plastics cleaned and buffed along with the newly painted parts installed by this weekend as well.  The goal is for this to be done and driving by Monday.  My final finishing work will be molding the chrome plastic cover over the new headlight and painting it black.  Later I will take on painting the wheels, trans cover, and front shock down tubes black.

Stay tuned!!!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 05:31:33 AM by ScooterTweaks »
1985 Honda Aero, 1987 Honda Elite, 2002 Aprilia SR50, 2002 Kymco B&W 250, 2003 Derbi GP1, 2003 Aprilia Scarabeo 150, 2004 Derbi GPR50, 2005 Kymco People 50 & 150, 2007 Suzuki Burgman 650, 2008 Honda Metropolitan 250, 2009 SYM Mio 50, 2009 TaoTao (Dio clone), 2009 Frankenscooter 150, all modified.

Vivo

• View Profile
Re: White 2005 refurb and build (lots of pics!!!)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 06:59:58 AM »
Pictures?

Zimmerman

• ---------
  • Northeastern Pennsyvania USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 10:31:42 AM »
ST,

Great write up !

Some of the pic's had broken photo bucket links.

I'd like to know the details on the reverse turn signals, I'll do the same to my P150.

KZ
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 06:41:36 PM by Zimmerman »
Kymco Yager GT200i
Kymco People 150
Yamaha Riva 125

ScooterTweaks

• Official scooter nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 02:24:47 PM »
Ahhhhhhhhhh thanks!!!

I'll be sure to do a write up on the lights.  I'm pretty sure the wiring on the bikes is identical on the 50/150 with the addition of a few wires on the 50.  I'm going to do this on my 150 as well, I just beat myself to the punch with the new 50!  If you're not in a huge hurry I'll do a write up on my 150 too.

I know one pic link was broken but I fixed it last   night, all other pics show up on my phone and PC...  Let me know if it's still down.

Thanks again!
1985 Honda Aero, 1987 Honda Elite, 2002 Aprilia SR50, 2002 Kymco B&W 250, 2003 Derbi GP1, 2003 Aprilia Scarabeo 150, 2004 Derbi GPR50, 2005 Kymco People 50 & 150, 2007 Suzuki Burgman 650, 2008 Honda Metropolitan 250, 2009 SYM Mio 50, 2009 TaoTao (Dio clone), 2009 Frankenscooter 150, all modified.

climbamt

• At Indian Summer 7
    • View Profile
    • Alpine Inspirations
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 05:20:22 AM »
Any updates or new pictures?

;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D
Baltimore, MD

06 Vespa GT200
03 Genuine Stella 2T
06 Kymco People 150
03 Kymco People 50 2T
03 Honda Metropolitan 50 (SOLD)
11 Kymco Super 8 50 (SOLD)

Areomyst

• Scootin' America!
    • View Profile
    • American Scooter Forum - Scooter Invasion
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 09:22:05 PM »
Hey Tweaks, good to see you here!  I recognize you from Apriliaforum (which I no longer subscribe to).  A while back I had a Scarabeo 150 in the shop for some heavy work on the coolant system, and when researching the melted impeller pump, melted dipstick, and other odd and end ruined parts, I found some of your posts.

Nice project!  I've got a People 50 that I ride all the time.  They're great bikes, and you're clearly doing a fine job on this one.

Best,

~Josh

PS: My brother-in-law is in Austin.  Seeing as your'e only about 40ish minutes away from there, if I make it to TX next year I'd love to stop in.
www.scooterinvasion.net - Tech help, repairs & tuning.

climbamt

• At Indian Summer 7
    • View Profile
    • Alpine Inspirations
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 07:05:26 AM »
Looks great.

Would like to see more pictures and additional details on the lighting mods when you get a chance!

Baltimore, MD

06 Vespa GT200
03 Genuine Stella 2T
06 Kymco People 150
03 Kymco People 50 2T

ScooterTweaks

• Official scooter nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 05:35:06 AM »
Well I have been quite busy with this bike, mainly riding it! I'm uploading pictures to photo bucket now and once it's all tidy tomorrow I'll slap some more up with info for everyone. Thanks for keeping an eye out guys, sorry I slacked...

BTW, it's going in a really fun direction!

ScooterSteve

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 08:27:23 AM »
Great job! Thanks for sharing!!..  ;)

climbamt

• At Indian Summer 7
    • View Profile
    • Alpine Inspirations
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 03:28:26 AM »
Looking forward to the updated pictures!!!
Baltimore, MD

06 Vespa GT200
03 Genuine Stella 2T
06 Kymco People 150
03 Kymco People 50 2T

paper

• I like naps
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 03:10:45 PM »
Looking forward to photos..
I found a theft recovery 05' People 50 early this winter. While it runs fine, it's got some cosmetic issues.
A box arrived this week with a new seat, levers, headlight trim ring, and a few other fasteners. I'm going to basically repaint it with Krylon black gloss plastic paint.
I haven't owned a 50cc scooter in years and look forward to wandering with it. :)

donandrews

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 04:00:42 PM »
Tweaks - I don't get any pix - only a message from Photobucket that the pix have been moved or deleted. It's a great post. Nice work. Really would like to see your pix.
Peace and Ride Safe
2012 Like 200i   
Lusting for People 300GTI, but recently purchased Vespa 250GTSie instead.
Brownsville OR 
Home of Willamette Country Music Festival and
movie "Stand By Me"

Normal is Relative

stl mike

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 05:20:10 PM »
Are these pics posted anywhere? I just bought my first People 50 2T and I'd really love to see them!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2014, 08:02:36 PM »
Nope! He took them all down. Some fella's do that if they don't get enough "love".
Must be an only child.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()