Author Topic: Lights mods to my scoot - front end  (Read 1960 times)

AVGuy

• View Profile
Lights mods to my scoot - front end
« on: October 15, 2012, 01:11:08 AM »
Here's the front side of things with extra lights from superbrightleds.com.

The front turn signals on the Grandvista are very low, so I added these marker lights and wired them in as turn signals. They aren't very bright, but show up well at night.

These fog/auxiliary lights are so I can be seen better, but they also light up the area right in front of the bike and also to the sides so I can see that possum before it starts to cross in front of me. If you look closely you'll see s little white led reflection in the front fender. This is a light I stuck under the cowling that shines down on the fender.

And you'll also see a white strip behind the grill. It's just a flexible strip I zip-tied to the wire mesh behind the grill for that sexy look.

And I stuck 2 white strips under the bike to shine on the street.

In the winter I ride home after dark and wanted to maximize my visibility to others. I probably look like a UFO from Close Encounters riding down the road. I didn't put any of these on separate switches, they're wired in so when the scoot is running all the lights except for turn signals and brake lights are on day or night.
The laws in Indiana are specific as to what colors can be used where on the bike. No blue, red only for brakes, amber or white just about anywhere. So if you want to do something similar, check your state's laws.
Grand Vista 250
"Big Scoot"

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
Re: Lights mods to my scoot - front end
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 08:28:30 AM »
Very cool. Im thinking of fitting some driving lights on a seperate switch on mine. Or i may just take it off the full beam circuit.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 06:45:55 PM »
same place I put my lights for road kill.   lol

Mike Green

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 08:56:46 PM »
AVGuy! beautiful job! I would really like to upgrade the lights on my XC500, especially after a night time accident that almost killed me.
I have no tech skills or very little. Did you photograph any of your installation techniques? I would just about completely copy the mods you did. Was it very difficult to do, I mean connecting to the existing light harness and getting power to those new lights. Any tips or
guidance you can give I would really appreciate it. Thanks,
Mike

AVGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 10:27:26 PM »
It really wasn't that difficult, the hardest part was getting plastics off and figuring out which wires to splice to though that's pretty obvious. For most of it I used these connectors from Auto Zone or any other parts store and also 2 different colors of 18 gauge wire.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Dorman-Conduct-Tite-18-14-gauge-blue-weatherproof-wire-quick-splice-terminal/_/N-25oe?itemIdentifier=88098_0_0_

These go over the existing wire on one side of the connector, slide in the new wire on the other side and squeeze with a pair of pliers on the metal tab & snap the cover shut. The metal tab cuts through the wire insulation and allows the current to go to the new wire. You'll use one of the blue connectors for positive & one for negative. Then I'd run the newly spliced wires to where the led would be installed and cut them, leaving some extra. The led's come with short wires attached - 1 positive and 1 negative. I'd connect the led to the wires and test. If it didn't come on the polarity was wrong so on I'd swap the colors and test again. I'd then make sure the connections were tight and wrap good with electrical tape. Some people are good with soldering so they'll solder the connections and finish with heat shrink.

What wires to use is very simple. For the back brake light I spliced into the factory rear brake, turn signals from turn signals. For front lights I used the running lights circuits on either side of the headlights. Room is kind of tight in some areas, so it can be a little difficult making the spice. Test everything as much as you can before putting plastics back on. These scoots make it challenging just to get to some areas to do the work.

The great thing about led's is the low current draw. I didn't run a separate circuit back to the battery for any of the lights, but I did for the Wolo Bad Boy air horn I added. It pulls quite a bit of power but uses a relay.
Grand Vista 250
"Big Scoot"

Pimpy1

• Mo Hoes Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 05:42:59 PM »
Lights look nice. Good looking scoot.
2011 Kymco Super 8 2t
2006 Kymco People 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()