Author Topic: Bet & Win 150 oil change interval?  (Read 5249 times)

scootermaven

• View Profile
Bet & Win 150 oil change interval?
« on: October 09, 2012, 01:45:49 AM »
How often do you Bet & Win 150 owners change the engine oil?  I know the owner's manual suggest every 2000 km, but that seems too often.  I know it's pretty easy to do, but is 2000 km overkill?  I am using Amsoil 4-stroke Full Synthetic Scooter Oil, so what do you all recommend?  Please chime-in on this.  Thanks!

I may be slower uphill, but I'm quicker at the gas pump!

Vivo

• View Profile
Re: Bet & Win 150 oil change interval?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 03:44:47 AM »
Personally, I change the oil not based on the mileage reading but also on the condition of the oil itself. I also monitor the kind of riding I had during the last 1,000 or so kms. Using synthetics versus mineral is also a factor. Greater intervals when using the former. I use mineral because of cost concerns. I change every 1,000 - 1,500.

You change oil of a small engine more often than a bigger engine, say a car, because there is more stress on oil in a small engine than in a big engine and also there is more oil in a big engine.  When the oil circulates in a big engine, the oil has more time to "rest" and cool before going back again to circulation. In a small engine, the oil is really beaten-up hard.

scootermaven

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 04:11:21 AM »
Better safe than sorry, I suppose.  I think I will err on the side of caution and change the scooter's engine oil every 2000km, as the manual recommends.  It just seemed a bit too often when I first read the manual.  I had a SYM Fiddle II 125 at one time and I believe the manual on that scoot recommended engine oil changes every 3000km/1800mi, so that's what I ended up doing.  Oh well, thanks!
I may be slower uphill, but I'm quicker at the gas pump!

jbignell

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 05:38:28 PM »
Hi there,  my B&W has a little green light that turns red when it's oil change time.  Also, as Vivo said,  according to oil condition is best.  Kymco was nice enough to encorporate a sight window so it's easy to see the condition of the oil at a glance.  Plus, for the .9L it takes, the five dollars it costs to change the oil is negligable to peace of mind and longevity.

JB

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 05:54:54 PM »
It seems strange to change it at 1200 miles but there's not much oil in there.
I think if you had 2 or 3 quarts in there you could go 5000 miles but there's only
one so you have to change it sooner.

I do about 2000 miles per year so might go to 2000 miles with full synthetic
(once broken in), though the full synthetic you buy today might not really be
full synthetic...
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()