Author Topic: Engine at Idle shuts off/stalls. HELP!  (Read 7116 times)

thatguy

• View Profile
Engine at Idle shuts off/stalls. HELP!
« on: September 28, 2012, 04:37:12 PM »
Hey all,

New member here and stumbled across this site. I have no technical knowledge of scooters so please bear with me.

Just purchased a Vitality 50 (2008) with approximately 4000 miles from a friend who had it for a few years on Wisconsin's campus. She runs smoothly and starts ok generally (although have to sometimes give it a little gas for it to catch). My problem is, when I come to a stop and idle, if i don't have a little bit of the throttle turned a little it either idles very quietly or shuts off. Also, sometimes when i give it gas, it will stall for a few seconds and then go.

Is this a sign that I need my carbs cleaned? Slightly clogged fuel lines?

Thanks for the help.

skippy

• View Profile
Re: Engine at Idle shuts off/stalls. HELP!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 04:55:22 PM »
could be carb needs cleaning. but on the carb should be an idle ajustment screw next to throttle cable. tweek that 1/6 of a turn may need more  and see if that sorts it.
welcom to kymco land.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 02:06:37 AM »
Yes, may just be a too low idle speed... Welcome!

fabio

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 12:25:05 PM »
Idle jet blocked??? - have you cleaned it?

The problem is that if you've got an idle jet that is really gunked up from standing for a good period of time, no amount of carb cleaner or compressed air or bits of copper wire will do the job.

What I've found is that with the tool that i bought it cleans the jets out pretty much straight away (a bit of soaking in carb cleaner always helps) and the design of the wires in the tool actually help to clean the bore of the jet without damage.

Here's the link - it may be of use to you... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160943325772?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649

Current Stable: Kawasaki GPZ500, Honda CB125TDC, Piaggio NRG MC2, Kymco Agility..................Previous Rides: Vespa ET2, Vespa GT125, Vespa PK125, Lambretta Cento

naughty lee

• 64 mph and pushing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 10:13:08 PM »
Clean your air filter in gasoline, clean your spark plug with a wire brush and put some fuel additive such as redex in your fuel

thatsdax

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 05:17:55 AM »
Pull your fuel line off the carb and  hit the starter button and look for fuel to come out of the fuel line. If no fuel comes out, then check your vacuum line to fuel actuator.  If fuel does come out, check for spark. If you have spark and fuel, then you need to pull and clean carb.  If you have fuel and spark, spray some ether into intake and crank.. If engine runs for a few seconds, then you know you need to pull and clean carb.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()