Author Topic: Headlight switch / bulb issue  (Read 6183 times)

truthseek3r

• View Profile
    • Last.FM
Headlight switch / bulb issue
« on: September 09, 2012, 01:56:02 AM »
Well, i'm having trouble with my front headlight. I had trouble in the past with the switch flicking off whenever I switched low beams - high. Then for awhile my low beams stop working and I had to rely on my high beams for a good month or so. After a hiatus (and bulb burning out) I took my scooter in to be repaired for a number of things, including the headlight.

Afterwards it was working, but unfortunately the mechanic accidently kept my rain cover - and after a 2-days of showers my scooter headlight stopped working.

Whenever I turn the switch on, nothing. no low or high. I'm not sure if its a bulb issue or not. Every other light does work, brake, signals, even the indicator for my high beams turn on.

???

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Headlight switch / bulb issue
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 06:18:34 AM »
Try spraying wd 40 into the switch, and really soak it up while moving it about. It sounds like dirty contacts. They will draw more current, and blow bulbs.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

truthseek3r

• View Profile
    • Last.FM
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 10:23:09 PM »
thanks for the reply - I tried the wd40, nothing. well, guess its times for another bulb/headlight.

What headlight should I buy? or what is the default type - Im looking in my manual and see nothing.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 11:29:11 PM by truthseek3r »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 04:44:10 AM »
http://www.stadiumyamaha.com/   This site has all the parts breakdowns. Mention the forum for 15% off your order.
These bikes have a Module that controls the light, and I understand they are quite unreliable. There are a few threads here about by passing the module with a couple jumpers to eliminate any more issues. It's a simple un plug, and match the colors with short jumpers. I hope some of this helps.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

truthseek3r

• View Profile
    • Last.FM
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 02:28:39 AM »
http://www.stadiumyamaha.com/   This site has all the parts breakdowns. Mention the forum for 15% off your order.
These bikes have a Module that controls the light, and I understand they are quite unreliable. There are a few threads here about by passing the module with a couple jumpers to eliminate any more issues. It's a simple un plug, and match the colors with short jumpers. I hope some of this helps.

Thanks for the link, i'll bookmark it.

I'm going to replace the bulb will this do? (http://www.amazon.com/Chinese-Scooter-Light-150cc-Jonway/dp/B008C8WDR0) I believe I have the S2.

truthseek3r

• View Profile
    • Last.FM
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 10:00:26 PM »
Success! for at least 1-week - until the DOWNPOUR of RAIN.

Ever since it started raining for the past 3-days my switch no longer response to my headlight (neither high/low beams) but the indicator lights up.
Granted this is when my scooter was covered up in a rain case, sigh.

Guess on to replacing that Module that controls the light.

kalamajo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 04:42:59 AM »
I have had major issues with my headlight.

here's my story, I hope it helps:

I bought a new 2012 Kymco scooter. The low beam bulb burned out after 1 week. I used the high beam for 2 weeks with no issues. Keep in mind that I use the scooter everyday. The bulb eventually burned out completely. Upon closer inspection, the inside reflective housing melted onto the bulb. The bulb broke upon removal from the housing. I took the scooter back to the dealership and told them about the problem. They told me that the scooter was still under warranty and could order parts. They said they can do only one "tear-down" per warranty transaction. This means that they could not do a comprehensive inspection, I told them just to order a new bulb, socket assembly, and the reflective shiny dish thing. The parts have been on order for 2 weeks. I am a very impatient person, so I went to Wal-Mart and bought a 55w 12V fog light from the automotive department. I think this is what I bought:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Blazer-OE-Driving-Light-Kit/15111228?findingMethod=rr#Product+Reviews
So, what I did (kind of redneck), I cut out part of the already ruined reflective headlight dish thing to fit the foglight. I hard wired the light into the scooter's headlight electrical system. So far, it has worked great. The parts are still on order and I plan to replace everything once they arrive. However, the system I made works pretty good.

mr stiffy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 12:47:59 AM »
So the current electrical can handle 55w no prob?
Just wondering because the stocker is pretty weak

truthseek3r

• View Profile
    • Last.FM
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 12:42:16 AM »
Thanks for the advice kalamajo - I was one step away from mounting one myself!

Today a good friend of mine took a look at it, turns out my regulator was bad. He is going to replace it for $50 this monday, hope thats the only problem!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()