Author Topic: Gas leaking from air cleaner housing  (Read 1821 times)

PeterB

• View Profile
Gas leaking from air cleaner housing
« on: September 08, 2012, 06:53:13 PM »
My People S200 has twice now leaked about a cup of gasoline from the air cleaner housing.  These have been isolated events about 2 months apart.  Both times I could start it but the engine seemed flooded and after the engine ran about 30 seconds it ran fine and there was no further gasoline leak.  This second time occurred yesterday and I was able to take the air cleaner housing off while gas was still leaking.  The gas was dripping out of the 1.5 inch diameter tubing the runs from the air cleaner into the engine.  The leaking occurred after the engine had completely cooled.  The scooter has 11,000 miles on it and has been carefully maintained and there hasn't been any other problem.  Any suggestions about what the cause might be and how to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

racewalker

• View Profile
Re: Gas leaking from air cleaner housing
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 09:18:08 PM »
I would run a carb cleaner through it such as gum out or seafoam. Sounds like the float valve is sticking.
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

PeterB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 09:49:47 PM »
Thanks for the advice racewalker...do you know if gum out or another carb cleaner can be run through the gasoline or must a carb cleaner be poured directly into the carb?

racewalker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 12:28:38 PM »
I use Seafoam and run an once per gallen to keep it clean. to start with I would run twice that much and let it sit over night in the carb. You don't need to run it all the time but once in a while is good.
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

abobotek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 09:10:22 PM »
There is a fuel shutoff valve that's in line between the gas tank and carb.  If this is flakey (mine was), fuel can leak into the crankcase and/or airbox. 
Red 2007 People S 200
Black 2008 Yamaha Majesty

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()