Author Topic: Transmission fluid change  (Read 2461 times)

Popsharp

• View Profile
Transmission fluid change
« on: June 14, 2012, 06:56:29 PM »
I just got a 2010 People 150.  This is a sweet bike.  I am changing fluids.  It says in manual .2 quart of fluid for gears.  I have no idea how to measure that from a squeeze gear lube bottle.  My old scooter (Chinese Schwinn 150 - you see why I am happy the Schwwinn engine blew and I got to purchase the Kymco.)  On Chinese scooters you just squeeze and fill gear lub to the level of fill hole.  Is this the same concept with the People 150.  Otherwise I have no idea how to get a measured 6.4 oz. into filler hole, other than with plastic tubing. 

I also notice that the engine oil is red in color and almost looks like car transmission fluid.  I'm wondering if this is special oil or synthetic and I should be using something similar.  What I bought was Lucas semi sythetic 4 stroke. 

old geezer

• View Profile
Re: Transmission fluid change
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 09:00:03 PM »
In a kymco only put in what the manual calls for. If you fill to the fill hole you will overfill and the over flow goes to the air filter. I had a People 150 and used a small funnel and plastic tubing that would fit in the fill hole. It would take a while to get it all in.

The oil from the factory is just mineral oil, nothing special. it just has a red dye in it. I used to use Rotella 15W40 in mine.
I use Mobil 1 4T 10W40 synthetic motorcycle oil in my 250.

MikeKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 07:58:09 AM »
This is a sweet bike.

It IS a sweet bike, isn't it?

I used a 100cc syringe to put exactly 180cc of oil in the tranny.  My understanding is that you do NOT fill to the bottom of the fill hole.  Just put in the 0.2qt/180ml and leave it.  And make sure to spin the rear wheel while draining to get all the old stuff out.  Any 80w90 gear oil should be OK.  Given the long service life, it might not be a bad idea to get expensive/synthetic.  At least, that's what i usually do with the longer interval fluids.  Not trying to start an oil thread here.

For the motor, I used Rotella 15w40 in the white jug.  The manual calls for 15w40, and those Diesel oils are the best for the price.  The Chevron Delo or Mobil 1 Delvac 1300 should be as good for the same price.  Or you can pay for scooter-specific marketed oil.  Again, not trying to start an oil thread here.  Oh, and I found two places in two manuals for my ('07) P150 that called for different volumes of motor oil.  One said 980ml, which overfills mine, and the other called for 800ml, which seems about right.

And if you can drain the oil without making a mess of the rear brake cable and/or centerstand, I'd like to know how.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 08:08:38 AM »
It IS a sweet bike, isn't it?

I used a 100cc syringe to put exactly 180cc of oil in the tranny.  My understanding is that you do NOT fill to the bottom of the fill hole.  Just put in the 0.2qt/180ml and leave it.  And make sure to spin the rear wheel while draining to get all the old stuff out.  Any 80w90 gear oil should be OK.  Given the long service life, it might not be a bad idea to get expensive/synthetic.  At least, that's what i usually do with the longer interval fluids.  Not trying to start an oil thread here.

For the motor, I used Rotella 15w40 in the white jug.  The manual calls for 15w40, and those Diesel oils are the best for the price.  The Chevron Delo or Mobil 1 Delvac 1300 should be as good for the same price.  Or you can pay for scooter-specific marketed oil.  Again, not trying to start an oil thread here.  Oh, and I found two places in two manuals for my ('07) P150 that called for different volumes of motor oil.  One said 980ml, which overfills mine, and the other called for 800ml, which seems about right.

And if you can drain the oil without making a mess of the rear brake cable and/or centerstand, I'd like to know how.

+ 1    ;)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()