Author Topic: rear wheel removal  (Read 12753 times)

jomama

• View Profile
rear wheel removal
« on: June 02, 2012, 01:09:42 AM »
OK Lads I need some advise here. I am about to replace the rear tire on my 08 S125. Now the instructions on my CD says to remove muffler, shock and this bracket ( which I cant remember the name) any way it goes on the rear axle. Then just remove the wheel. Mine wont budge After removing the axle nut and above mentioned bracket, there appears to be a spacer on the axle shaft that wont budge. Is this in fact a spacer or a machined part of the axle? I think its a spacer. Any ideas here. I have tried a little heat ant rust buster but no movement . THe axle stays in place affixed into the rear gearbox and the wheel slides off right ? Any help greatly appreciated.

racewalker

• View Profile
Re: rear wheel removal
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 02:36:15 AM »
Pictures would help but it sounds like the wheel bearing came out of the swing arm. If that is it you will have to use a bearing puller to get it off.
It also has brake shoes which you may have to loosen to get the wheel off.
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

jomama

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 12:36:36 PM »
Ya know, as  I am sitting here this am and having read your post it makes perfect sense. It is verry possible that is what happened. As soon as the torrents of rain stop, I will make it to the garage and check. The piece I was refering to would be the center race of the bearing and then being its right up flush to he wheel its going to be nearly impossible to get a puller behind it.

jomama

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 06:11:59 PM »
I did find out that the piece in question is a spacer which had just enough rust to freeze it on the axle. After soaking it and letting it sit overnight, a little heat from a propane torch and vice grips got it to come off. Now I would to shake  the hand of the genius that designed this setup. It says to remove thge shock. Well it looks like the whole under the seat compartment and who knows what else is going have to come off. I have never seen anything so dumb . My full dresser HD isn't this bad. I would never recommend one of these to anyone .

jomama

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 01:49:03 AM »
Well I finally got er done but I will also restate its the dumbest setup I have ever seen . I have been riding and wrenching for 50 yrs on everything from Aeriel square fours to Zundaps this design is rediculous .

Tri750

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 07:11:03 PM »
Not sure if it applies to the 150, but for my s200, I drilled a 1" hole in the right panel to access the shock bolt. After the tire change, I popped in a 1 dollar hole plug from the hardware store.

marktmaxwell

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 07:03:13 PM »
Changed my rear tire yesterday, what a lot of disassembly just to get the wheel off!  Jeeze already.  I was however, able to use a deep socket on the upper shock bolt; 3/8 drive 14mm.

Maybe better than taking off the plastic or drilling an access hole?!??

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 03:36:33 AM »
Guys, before I purchased a scooter, I studied all of the pros and cons of owning one.... and now, all the trouble in changing tires, removing plastics, removing and assembling this and that never bothers be a bit... I love my ride!

SUPER 9 MANN

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2015, 03:02:04 PM »
all that to remove for a tire change, oh noooooo. who kymco designed that

Abner_Bjorn

• 5280 Scooter Group Rides on FB
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 09:56:10 PM »
I just went through this today.  Was the toughest rear tire change I've ever done.  One of us had to work on the spacer with a pipe wrench while the other hit the wheel from the other side with a block of wood and rubber mallet.   Did it for a friend who is getting ready to sale the scooter.   I remember getting to the spark plug was difficult as well.   Will be glad to see the scooter go.
Less chit chat, more riding.

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2016, 12:02:51 AM »
I just went through this today.  Was the toughest rear tire change I've ever done.  One of us had to work on the spacer with a pipe wrench while the other hit the wheel from the other side with a block of wood and rubber mallet.   Did it for a friend who is getting ready to sale the scooter.   I remember getting to the spark plug was difficult as well.   Will be glad to see the scooter go.

I've taken off a few at this point, & all of 'em seem to be the same to me the first time around.  Subsequent removals were pretty easy, just used a smidge of grease on the axle (you don't want any getting on the brakes so be real real sparing with it)

Not sure about an S150, but the S200 plug was easy after taking off the plastic (~5-10 min, & same to put it back on once you know how).  I just remember to check the valves and give the belt a once over while I have it apart.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()