Author Topic: ZX 50 4th/or 7th/ or umpteenth build...  (Read 64330 times)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
ZX 50 4th/or 7th/ or umpteenth build...
« on: May 16, 2012, 12:27:35 AM »
I just finished building the Polini stroker for the zx. This one is the Corsa race jug at 47mm 72cc. I haven't done the math yet but with 4mm more stroke you all can fiqure the new cc's. Polini uses an aluminum base gasket so I replaced it with some soft 2.8mm stock to get a dead even deck, and a .5mm squish. This head has a 5.5mm squish band as well as a controlled combustion chamber design. Pretty cool looking head in my opinion. I know everyone will want to know the timings on the jug but I have no idea yet. I am using a Tech next pipe because of the low power band for now. I only want to break in the jug before I throw the good stuff at it.
I used my Ruima 44mm stuffed crank w/ new bearings, and some drastic case flow porting. This WAS an OEM case before today. I opened the intake completely (no bridge) and drilled the crank oilers/removed all the bracing at the top of the crank charge loop, and polished the top 1/2 of the case. The bottom is scotch brite finished to hold the oil down there. Boost port was cut, and the piston was skirted 3mm on each side to reduce spinning weight, as well as reduce drag.
I am using the CT intake with Boysen (0.030") reeds. I did something special here too. I drilled 4 1/4" holes in each of the four petals and covered the holes with 0.08" reed stock to make my version of 2 stage reeds. These are set into a CT stuffer. The carb is the 24mm OKO with as of right now unknown jetting. (I just forgot what's in it).
4 heat cycles, 2,  5 minute runs, and I rode it the 6 miles home from the shop. I NEVER went past 1/8th throttle. This case now has the unknown 8.3:1 secondary gears from my other case, and the Malossi primaries. It final drives at 7.1:1. The Malossi's are not as low as I wanted so I have some polini's ordered to get me to 6:1 final.
At 5,200 rpm 1/8th throttle I am cruising 45mph. The mph is from the clock, and the rpm is from a DMM with an inductive wire pick up. It is Slightly lean but ridable at low rpm. I have 2 boxes of jets to use after I cut/solder to find which jets to use for now.
The Scorpion pipe is in customs in Honolulu, and the MSD cdi is almost ready to ship. HGT is setting up a Malossi Rep. bike using the MSD to dial it in, and when he finishes this week it will be in the post. I will set up my OWN timing curves to elimenate the sustained hi heat from long wot runs. The New curves, and some crafty needle tapers WILL result in the forums first DOCUMENTED 80-90mph ZX. I have one of those Krazor phones so I can do a vid to back up this claim. This Won't be a wheelie popper but it will be a top end cruiser. Looking for 60 all day, 70 to pass, and 90 on the true 1/4mile. Since the gearing gets me 45 at 5200 I think this is doable. Haven't even come NEAR the pipes 7g's. If the Scorpion wont get it at 8500 the Windjammer will at 9500 with some minor port raising.
Wish me luck Bros! The next week end will tell. (or whenever I get the MSD) I'm NOT beating this build without it... I also have a 60,000 volt Granatelli coil from a Mustang application because of it's small size to fire gap less plugs.
http://www.mpsracing.com/instructions/MSD/4217.pdf
http://www.jegs.com/i/NGK-Spark-Plugs/739/R847-10/10002/-1?parentProductId=753645#moreDetails
http://www.jetav8r.com/Vision/Ignition/CDI.html
http://www.stage3motorsports.com/c=KRdEXp9LkI3AXOdpG1W2aOBwV/product/GMS-28-1697CP/1999-2004-Mustang-GT-GMS-2V-Pro-Series-Coil-Packs-Set-of-8.html  The price is 1/8th the total shown as I only need one. These fire a 12 heat range gap less plug, and are Supposed to keep it under control.... We'll see.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
Re: ZX 50 4th/or 7th/ or umpteenth build...
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 11:58:08 PM »
Day 2:   So far so good. It was running lean, and I found time to do the pilot jet. The jet in the OKO 24.. was a 42. I am now on a 52, and 2 1/4 turns out. Hit 50 miles on the clock so I drained the tank, and added my Golden spectro synth. Still haven't twisted past 1/4 throttle but with the new jet, and proper oil it is now spinning 5,200 @ 47mph. I've been soooooo tempted to twist it but there is too much left to add before I start looking for results.
Found a cross refference # for the NGK gap less race plug too It is a Champion 831 UL77V. http://www.amazon.com/Champion-831-UL77V-Racing-Series/dp/B001HBSUCQ These are 1/10th the cost of the NGK. I get them for 2.27@. They are the plugs used in Mercury offshore racing, and that is good enough for me. They are considered a 15 heat range so LONG WOT is not an issue anymore. The 60,000v coil will make short order of idling issues along with the MSD CDI. I'm soooooo tempted to tromp this thing but will wait for the pipe. I also found a GREAT shop last night... http://www.treatland.tv/Articles.asp?ID=138 These guys have EVERY OKO part made. I have a ten pack of OKO needles coming to Really dial the pig in.
Stoked!!!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 11:59:36 PM »
Looking for 60 all day, 70 to pass, and 90 on the true 1/4mile.

..i bow down in honor.....
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 12:09:09 AM »
Doesn't mean I'll get it but with the right gears, and piston.... Maybe,?,? It's at 45 with out even touching the Main jet circuit.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 12:10:10 AM »
I'm soooooo tempted to tromp this thing but will wait for the pipe.

..WAIT!!!....lol...patience, grasshopper....

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 12:12:26 AM »
I should have said... I have NO intension of running those speeds on the road. Our town has made an agreement w/ the airfield for sunday hot rod time trials. NO RACING. Just time/speed. The local cops are donating time, and radar equipment for the runs. They all know my scoot is not restricted but 90 will blow their minds!

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 12:22:11 AM »
Of course you do realise that once you do finally hit 90mph then the only next logical step is to aim for the big 100..............
..........the quest for higher speed never ends, we all know that  :D

"just 5 another mph and i'll be happy, i know i can get there"
"you said that at 40mph?"
"no i didnt. Shut up and pass me that wrench"
Chaos is my co-pilot.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 12:22:26 AM »
Our town has made an agreement w/ the airfield for sunday hot rod time trials. NO RACING. Just time/speed. The local cops are donating time, and radar equipment for the runs. They all know my scoot is not restricted but 90 will blow their minds!

..i expect some goddamned video!!!

..also, i love your town...

..and cows.......

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 12:38:07 AM »
The 100 mark is slated for a Minarelli engine design I am putting together. I have an aluminum frame drag scoot that I've been building in stages by gaining info everywhere, and experience from the ZX.
This is right now... a pipe dream, as NO parts have been bought, or pen to paper. But I am setting feelers for the parts I need.
90 is THE goal for the ZX. Too many others have claimed it but "I" have not seen ONE! I bought a smart phone to document my results. You all know I hate dealing with taking/up loading/downloading/posting Picts. So I realize this MUST be proven.
90 for the ZX, and 100 for a custom Mina. I may just ride a home brewed chopper after that. There will be nothing left to prove!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 12:44:56 AM »
Forgot...
DUDE! We should seriously talk about a weekend/week long trip down here... I have everything a red neck boy could ever want within 5 miles of my house. Boats/Bayou's /unexploded ordinance galore/some of the best country/seafood you could ever eat/beer grows on trees! Every person I know is country to the bone, and is Proud of it. Just the fact you can ride 120 miles with NO traffic light is enough for me. 5 miles north, and you are in Tate's Hell. Hippie grass is EVERYWHERE! (just gotta avoid the farmers)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 12:55:30 AM »
Forgot...
DUDE! We should seriously talk about a weekend/week long trip down here... I have everything a red neck boy could ever want within 5 miles of my house. Boats/Bayou's /unexploded ordinance galore/some of the best country/seafood you could ever eat/beer grows on trees! Every person I know is country to the bone, and is Proud of it. Just the fact you can ride 120 miles with NO traffic light is enough for me. 5 miles north, and you are in Tate's Hell. Hippie grass is EVERYWHERE! (just gotta avoid the farmers)

..it might be possible for me in august, for real...

..i have commitments at work pretty much up until then...

..i'll be ready for some time off by then, and i have 18 days vacation still left...

:o

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 12:58:58 AM »
Did someone say Hippie grass?   ;D
Chaos is my co-pilot.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 01:02:56 AM »
..puff-puff-pass!..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 01:15:44 AM »
No passing Bro's. There's Plenty!
By August I'll be good, and ready for a week of f***ing off. I'd say for sure to bring swim sh** for spending at least 1/2 the time shark fishing/gator wrangling. My best friend owns Pockets in Talli so the other 1/2 could be spent F'n off. http://www.pocketspoolandpub.com/

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 01:21:04 AM »
..likes pockets scenery!!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()