Author Topic: Battery draining issue  (Read 8047 times)

DaveABQ

• View Profile
Battery draining issue
« on: May 10, 2012, 06:05:27 PM »
I bought the Yager recently, traded in to a dealer that wasn't a kymco dealer, guy dropped it over on its side, so had some scrapes on the right side, ordered all the parts for it and dealer said it also had a battery draining issue.  I paid less than half the cost of a new one, scooter was mint shape other than the scrapes which I already ordered the panels, $184 shipped, and the battery draining issue.

So I pulled off the negative wire on the battery, put a test light between the battery terminal and the wire i pulled off, it is not lighting up the test light, could be the 12v/5w light needs to be less.  I put a DVM on it set on amps, measures .003 amp drain.  So may put on a LED to see if it lights it up, need to run to radio shack to pick one up.

I left the key in last night after putting the wire back on the battery, put the key in the lock position, and had no drain overnight.  I've seen problems on motorcycles where the ignition caused the drain, but not sure yet what is draining the battery on the yager.
The yager is charging the battery correctly, but when sitting has a slow drain.  Just wondering if anyone has seen this on their vehicle or another Kymco?

I did read about someone removing the bulb for the light in the met-in box, but thats not the problem on my machine, it is something else.

If I can get a constant drain and be able to see on the test light, I can remove fuses one by one to figure out the area that is causing the drain and go from there, just looking for advice or anyone else that has experienced this.

Thanks.
Dave.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Battery draining issue
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 09:01:25 PM »
Not on mine, Dave. But you are on the right track in finding the problem. Guessing it could be a bad rectifier in the regulator.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

DaveABQ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 09:41:47 PM »
Not on mine, Dave. But you are on the right track in finding the problem. Guessing it could be a bad rectifier in the regulator.

Karl

yea Karl, that could be the problem.  This morning I used some CRC Electrical Cleaner and sprayed in the key hole, man they put that dielectric grease in there too, rotated key back and forth several times to all positions, the battery is not draining.  Will keep and eye on it and report  back, the yager only has 108 miles on it.

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 05:01:15 PM »
I'm the one who removed the met-in bulb, (I still don't miss it, I carry a flashlight).  I don't know about the drain problem but I just had to replace my battery.  What is the thought on the grease?  I found a creamy colored grease? surrounding my fuses.  If it is a conductor it could be draining my battery.  Should I clean it all out or leave it there?   I don't know how it can be helping unless it is to control corrosion.

Richard L.
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

S/W

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 02:46:26 PM »
clean the top of the battery if it looks dirty or moist. that can cause a small drain.

DaveABQ

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 06:49:19 PM »
fshfindr, it is a dielectric grease, non-conductive, they get carried away with it, it is in all connectors, it won't short anything, but since it is non conductive, it can actually cause a poor connection from my experience

ok, mine is fixed, there is only two things I did, i had disconnected the battery, first the negative cable to use a 12v troubleshooting light, and I cleaned the connections, a poor battery connection will affect other things, however it will not cause a battery drain

second thing I did was to clean out the ignition with CRC Electrical cleaner, that same dielectric grease was in the key hole, when I sprayed it in, that crap came out....

Been riding it around a few miles and checking the battery, it is working fine, it is charging good when the machine is running, and not drain on the battery....

the drain was one of the reasons I got it for cheap, less than $1800 out the door.  The dealer was not a Kymco dealer, they took it on trade, so worked a deal with them. 

So far so good, will report back if any other issues.

S/W, battery is new in the machine, the only thing the dealer did was swap the battery twice with new ones.

S/W

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 12:27:01 AM »

(a poor battery connection will affect other things, however it will not cause a battery drain)

True, but, this fools alot of people into thinking it is a battery drain, when actually the dirty terminals are preventing a good charge. I have had guys clean terminals and still not get a good connection. No matter who worked on a problem before you, always start from the beginning.

ailixhomes

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 04:47:06 PM »
It is not a big problem regarding Battery Draining Issue from your motorbike.  I would suggest every one that servicing your bike regularly. Go for authentic service center. The solution of Battery Draining is to be change battery with in 6 months.

DaveABQ

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 09:29:01 PM »

(a poor battery connection will affect other things, however it will not cause a battery drain)

True, but, this fools alot of people into thinking it is a battery drain, when actually the dirty terminals are preventing a good charge. I have had guys clean terminals and still not get a good connection. No matter who worked on a problem before you, always start from the beginning.

yep, seen the same thing, i ride ATV's alot, with mud, dirt, dust, routine maintenance is good.  I use Penetrox on the battery connections.

ailixhomes

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 03:59:54 PM »
I bought the Yager recently, traded in to a dealer that wasn't a kymco dealer, guy dropped it over on its side, so had some scrapes on the right side, ordered all the parts for it and dealer said it also had a battery draining issue.  I paid less than half the cost of a new one, scooter was mint shape other than the scrapes which I already ordered the panels, $184 shipped, and the battery draining issue.

So I pulled off the negative wire on the battery, put a test light between the battery terminal and the wire i pulled off, it is not lighting up the test light, could be the 12v/5w light needs to be less.  I put a DVM on it set on amps, measures .003 amp drain.  So may put on a LED to see if it lights it up, need to run to radio shack to pick one up.

I left the key in last night after putting the wire back on the battery, put the key in the lock position, and had no drain overnight.  I've seen problems on motorcycles where the ignition caused the drain, but not sure yet what is draining the battery on the yager.
The yager is charging the battery correctly, but when sitting has a slow drain.  Just wondering if anyone has seen this on their vehicle or another Kymco?

I did read about someone removing the bulb for the light in the met-in box, but thats not the problem on my machine, it is something else.

If I can get a constant drain and be able to see on the test light, I can remove fuses one by one to figure out the area that is causing the drain and go from there, just looking for advice or anyone else that has experienced this.

Thanks.
Dave.

I am totally agree with you that Battery Draining Issues are to be consider as a most awaiting for every one. It could be healthy discussion  about this topic.

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 01:45:44 PM »
A bad battery can drain itself. Maybe the PO let it sit a lot?

Has anyone replaced the Met-In light with a LED?

You can check the alternator by running it and use a meter to read the voltage.
It should read around 14V, 16v will boil the battery and 13v will not charge enough.
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

eakins

• Butler Motorcycle Maps
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2016, 04:59:33 PM »
I bought a used 2010 and have the same issue.  >:(
2 new agm batteries tried so those are good.
Met in light gone.
Ground and positive wires all cleaned, di-electric greased & tight.
Charging system works. Rests at 12.5v Charges at 13.75v.

I need to attach a battery tender each night or starting is weak. When weak, When I press starter the starter pauses for a second then cranks, almost like there is a tight bind somewhere. If it sits for a week starting impossible till I charge it again.

Starting is hard and inconsistent too. Does not fire every time & just cranks. Has 1000mi & new NGK iridium plug.

If I attach my lithium jump start battery she fires up strong & fast every time. Thought about putting a lithium battery in there but a new agm battery should start this anyway. It's a new scorpion agm with 175cc so a solid battery.

Any ideas before I get rid of this thing???
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 05:03:30 PM by eakins »

eakins

• Butler Motorcycle Maps
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2016, 05:10:37 PM »
So maybe my charging system is not putting out enough as I read charging at 14.5v is the norm? Still have other issue, maybe connected, because if it sits for a few days the starting is weak.

I either have a slow drain or something in the motor/starter is tight & binding. Any ideas???

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2016, 09:12:52 PM »
Maybe some bad grounds where there are supposed to be good grounds: grounding points. Usually studs welded to frame with several lugs held on with a nut. There is one usually close to the battery, starter and start relay (solenoid). There is a big, fat one on the engine, usually on the right-hand side. Older bikes prone to funky grounding points. Make the battery look bad. Take 'em apart, clean 'em, slather some dielectric grease on 'em and re-assemble. Check where the terminals are crimped on the wires. re-crimp if you see any green or white corrosion. You may have to replace a lug if the corrosion is really bad.

Karl

Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

eakins

• Butler Motorcycle Maps
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2016, 04:38:42 PM »
I've cleaned all the electrical connections I can find.
Is there another ground to the engine besides the one to the starter? If so, I don't see it.

This is frustrating as it's so inconsistent. Sometimes it starts strong and fires up fast. Sometimes the starter stalls when starting then turns over but then does turn over & fire up. Other times it just cranks and does not fire. It's like it's flooded and I need to hold open the throttle & crank to fire it.

I'm my searching I did find the hose/vent from the intake up to the rear was cut open. This hose Ts into the intake hose and is the one closest to the throttle body. It then runs up the side frame and back near the rear light. What is it? It was rubbing against the round frame bumper assy and was cut open. The metal on the edge is very sharp. I taped & shrink-wrapped it and moved it away.
Check yours! Still runs the same...maybe slightly better idle.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 07:32:00 PM by eakins »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()