Author Topic: Tough Starts in Warm Weather  (Read 3318 times)

PassedByAScooter

• View Profile
Tough Starts in Warm Weather
« on: April 16, 2012, 07:32:19 PM »
Scoot came out of a 65 degree garage and started right up... of course!  :)
This afternoon I had to run an errand at work. The scoot was sitting in full sun. 85 degrees. Hop on to start her up, and just - zing, zing, zing, zing, zing. Gave her some gas, then tried to start. Same result. Seemed as though I wasn't getting a spark? Remembering a thread I read about earlier (see, wife, spending so much time reading KymcoForum.com does instill SOME knowledge!) that there could be some vapor issues. So I opened the gas cap and let her "breathe" for a second.
Gave her starter a push and again just the same noise. I'll shorten this: I had to stay on the throttle half a turn and press the starter for anything to happen. The first time it just stalled. The second time I stayed on the throttle up to 4k rpm for about 5 seconds and it finally started to idle on its own.
Just curious if coming in to the warmer months I can resolve this warm weather starting by changing out my spark plug or some other component. This will be my daily commuter, so I cannot have any concerns regarding starts. The Yager has to be dependable.

Thanks in advance for the knowledge!

PBAS

2010 Kymco Yager
2009 Kymco Agility 125

PassedByAScooter

• View Profile
Re: Tough Starts in Warm Weather
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 10:02:16 PM »
Still doing the same thing. I think it has to be vapor lock. I open my gas tank up and it will eventually start and idle like normal. The problem is that it is doing this any time I shut the bike off and then come back in just a few minutes to continue on my way.

2010 Kymco Yager
2009 Kymco Agility 125

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 10:24:17 PM »
I hate to ask, but all systems are go? Starter switch on, brake control squeezed, side stand up? Also, is your battery fully charged?

-Wolf

PassedByAScooter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 10:31:49 PM »
I hate to ask, but all systems are go? Starter switch on, brake control squeezed, side stand up? Also, is your battery fully charged?

-Wolf

Don't worry, I've had my share of "duh" moments when teaching others to ride  :D    Everything is normal and in the correct position, though. I've been able to ride it when I can finally get it to start. But have the same problem starting even if I shut it off for a couple of minutes and come back. The more I read, it could be a vapor lock issue, but I find this ridiculous if it is so because it seems like there isn't necessarily a fix for it other than leaving your gas tank open for a few minutes for the vapors to escape (well, or drilling a hole in the cap  :o )

2010 Kymco Yager
2009 Kymco Agility 125

YagerMySter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 08:24:41 PM »
Don't know what to say.

However, I have noticed that cold weather starts on my Yager are flawless.

In warm weather, 75 plus, there it is a little rougher to start.  It starts but I've got to give it a little gas to keep it going.

Brand new 2012 bike.  Kind of wierd to me.
I did it and I'm glad.

ddrg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 05:08:58 AM »
I have exactly the same problem with my 2010 Yager.  Drive to work at 8am where the air temp is around 85F.  Leave work at about 5pm where the air temp is now around 110F.  Scooter usually won't start until I open the gas cap for a couple of seconds.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 09:40:46 AM »
In cold weather, air is more dense and has a higher volume, thus, more oxygen per area, equals the one click starting.  In hot weather, "you have to give it some gas to start", or "I had to stay on the throttle half a turn" actually, what happened here is you opened up the throttle plate, thus, air passed in and it started. It's an air issue and nothing more.  So, try this, stay on the throttle (don't pump gas unless you have to, just twist to open the throttle) then start the scoot. You can try opening the throttle more than half turn, but don't pump. Works for me everytime.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 09:55:33 AM by Vivo »

YagerMySter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 02:54:11 PM »
I have exactly the same problem with my 2010 Yager.  Drive to work at 8am where the air temp is around 85F.  Leave work at about 5pm where the air temp is now around 110F.  Scooter usually won't start until I open the gas cap for a couple of seconds.

110?  OMG they're covering me up with dirt by then.

Ring ring...  Hello?  Hey boss, it's me, it's 110 today and I'm not coming in ok?
I did it and I'm glad.

Fej

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 03:24:11 PM »
I've noticed the same thing.  I usually just open the throttle a little and hold it there for a few seconds after starting and then I'm usually fine.
Jeff T.

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 10:56:37 PM »
I've never had that problem with my Yager, oops I wasn't even touching wood.  Has anyone with the problem checked the fuel tank vent?

Richard L.
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 01:23:53 AM »
I've noticed the same thing.  I usually just open the throttle a little and hold it there for a few seconds after starting and then I'm usually fine.

Like I said, It's an air issue and nothing more... It's true for a lot of scooters and not only the Yager.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()