Author Topic: How do you remove rear wheel?  (Read 3941 times)

superseagulls

• View Profile
How do you remove rear wheel?
« on: March 17, 2012, 12:32:06 PM »
Any advice on how to get the rear off for new tire time?

It looks like quite a lot may need to come off, any easy tips greatly appreciated!

sissy mary

• View Profile
Re: How do you remove rear wheel?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 01:33:10 PM »
It's really not that bad. You do have to take out the bolt from the top right shock, (right-throttle side). And also take off the swing arm. And drop the brake from rotor. I know it sounds like a crap load of work, but really its just a few bolts and its done. The shock bolt is a little hard to get to, but other than that, it go's very fast and is easy to do. :-*

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 02:03:00 PM »
Take off muffler -- three bolts and loosen allen bolt.  Take off caliper as Sissy said, taking off 3 brake line retainer bolts too.  Two swing arm bolts as Sissy says.  An alternative to taking out top shock bolt is to take off the bottom one only.  Then you'll have to take out the under seat storage compartment which means taking loose the courtesy light and phone charger connections too.  Swing shock up out of the way. 

Getting the axle nut loose requires a nice BIG breaker bar or impact wrench.  If using breaker bar, do before taking caliper off so you can lock wheel by parking brake FIRMLY.  I've had to jump on the breaker bar to break nut loose.

Pay attention to how spacer behind swing arm comes off -- don't want to put in backwards. 

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 12:12:54 AM »
Yea, I forgot to mention the muffler, but that takes 1-2 minutes at most.  :-*

superseagulls

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 01:32:42 AM »
Thanks for the info guys. I finally got round to stripping it down today, ready for new tire coming in tomorrow.

All very easy with a selection of metric tools (8, 12, 14mm) I think were the main ones. For future reference for anyone doing it, you need a 27mm socket to remove the wheel nut.

Thanks
superseagulls

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2022, 04:11:45 PM »
If one plans to DIY it ...checking out the service manual and parts availability before purchasing is a good idea .

Not liking the color after the purchase is.....
You do not seem to be happy with Kymco - or your Kymco product.
Stig

« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 04:31:51 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()