Author Topic: My Kymco Agility 50 Starting Problem??  (Read 33958 times)

micoman

• View Profile
My Kymco Agility 50 Starting Problem??
« on: February 19, 2012, 01:49:18 PM »
Hello Everyone ;)

I bought my Kymco Agility 50 just over 2 years ago now and apart from the starting problems it has done me well. It’s done about 4500 miles now.

I use it to get to work 5 days a week with just a 5 mile trip each way. For safety reasons I use my full lights all the time. To save the battery I usually kick start it in the morning and electric start at night and this worked well for a while.

At first it would take one for two kick starts or electric starts to get going but now it’s more like 10+ before it runs? The battery had to be changed at 1 year which has helped a bit but over this year I had to have the starter switch replaced as it locked on when starting one day. I had to remove the battery connecters to stop it turning over? It was still the same the next day so I got the dealer to collect it from my house. At the dealer it worked fine but after a few weeks I managed to show them the starter switch would not work all the time, so they changed it.

The last few months the scooter has got even worse at starting. Mainly when its wet or damp it can take me 10-15mins to get it going with me trying both kick and electric start. Again, every time I take it in to the dealer it works fine! I have also noticed that when its damp, and when riding it feels like the engine is hunting (holding back) for a few miles before it goes back to normal? .  The bike is outside all the time, but I do use an Oxford bike cover at night.

I have just had the 2 year service and its now got even worse for starting with it taking 10+ starts to get it running in all weathers! My dealer was supposed to be picking it up Friday from my work but forgot! I hope to get it looked at Monday so would appreciate any one with any advice I can give my dealer as he can’t  find the problem?  Says he will try and get it repaired under Kymco warrantee even though it’s just outside as it’s been a problem for a while.

I just checked the oil level today and looks over the max mark? Would this effect starting? Does anyone thinks it needs a new starter?
Any help appreciated :)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: My Kymco Agility 50 Starting Problem??
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 02:30:40 PM »
...it would probably be a good idea to get the valve clearance set...

..should be set at .04mm

..sounds like classic examples of clearance being out of spec...

..welcome to th' forum!

..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

micoman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 06:27:14 PM »
Thanks, Will mention to my dealer ;) (sounds like I'm on drugs!! :D)

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 09:40:40 PM »
Thanks, Will mention to my dealer ;) (sounds like I'm on drugs!! :D)

lol you must be on drugs if you expect the dealer to help you very much.

micoman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 10:02:16 PM »
My dealer has been great up until now with him even getting my bike collected from work when I had a funny turn ::)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 11:07:00 PM »
DRRUGS?  Scooby Snacks...
 Just sounds like simple maintenance issues... New spark plug/remove, and clean the carb jets/replace the air filter/adjust the valves, and change the engine oil. ROLL EM
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

micoman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 09:34:50 PM »
Just had 2 year service so all done.

Electric start working but not starting this morning but got it going with kick start ok.  Filled up with fuel 1 mile from house and then electric start worked. Also same after work at 6pm as in the morning. ???

Dealer collecting tomorrow hopefully ???

REDKYMCO

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 09:51:39 PM »
Maybe the auto choke is not coming on especialy on the cold mornings when you need it most. Asda is selling redex at £3 pounds a bottle at the moment maybe worth throwing a few cap fulls in the petrol tank to clean the fuel system through, its worked for me in the past gave my old honda express a new lease of life and made it start first time were before redex it was a battle to get it to run and ride....
IF IT IS NOT BROKE DONT FIX IT:)

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 11:10:44 PM »
Just had 2 year service so all done.

Electric start working but not starting this morning but got it going with kick start ok.  Filled up with fuel 1 mile from house and then electric start worked. Also same after work at 6pm as in the morning. ???

Dealer collecting tomorrow hopefully ???

Sounds like the battery maybe, the short ride may have been enough to give it a bit of a charge.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 11:31:07 PM »
Does anyone know if the agility is a dc or ac fired cdi. If it is dc the scoot will not start w/ a dead/weak battery.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 11:47:50 PM »
Maybe the auto choke is not coming on especialy on the cold mornings when you need it most. Asda is selling redex at £3 pounds a bottle at the moment maybe worth throwing a few cap fulls in the petrol tank to clean the fuel system through, its worked for me in the past gave my old honda express a new lease of life and made it start first time were before redex it was a battle to get it to run and ride....

kymcos are fussy when it comes to the cold weather mine well turn over fine in the cold with the kick start then after its wormed up the elc works great. no worrys its just a kymco think .just like you have to let it worm up befor takeing off on cold days.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 11:48:50 PM »
Does anyone know if the agility is a dc or ac fired cdi. If it is dc the scoot will not start w/ a dead/weak battery.
D.C cdi im sure.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 11:52:42 PM »
Most likely the problem then... Maybe>>>

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 01:59:21 PM »
..its dc, and yes cold kymmis are hard to start...

..valve adjustent makes a big difference, and i swapped out my starter motor with one from my 05ppl..

..it's smaller in diameter, but turns up much quicker!!
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 03:15:32 PM »
I got to say i havent had any issues with starting up in the mornings even when its near 0°. This morning it was about 4° and i hadnt riden since last Wed but she fired straight up within a second or so on like on the 2nd or 3rd crank on electric start, i cant remember the last time i had to use my kick start. Even when its frosty on the ground and i have ice on my gauges and seat it still fires up easily.
Not complaining, just sayin........

Now of course i prob hexed it and it wont start tomorrow morn  :D
Chaos is my co-pilot.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()