Author Topic: Tires  (Read 17293 times)

Vivo

• View Profile
Re: Tires
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2013, 05:13:40 AM »
I just want a tyre that can perform in both dry and wet.

Me too....

shineabove

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2014, 06:54:40 AM »
check out mine... 120 70 14 front
                         140 60 14 rear
nothing to loose, perfectly matched, you can try 150 60 14
pirelli diablo scooter...

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2014, 10:33:28 PM »
I really like the feel of the stock tires, but I'm not that confident of their traction, especially in the rain.  I am concerned that putting a wider tire in the rear will make for some funky handling.  For those of you who put a wider tire on and also ride on curvy roads, how does the wider tire, especially a 140, affect the handling.

BTW, the stock tires don't last forever.  I wore out my first rear in 8500 miles.  The front has 14,600 miles on it.  It's not worn out but is cupped and starting to handle funny. 

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

PeTroL42

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2014, 08:59:57 AM »
I really like the feel of the stock tires, but I'm not that confident of their traction, especially in the rain.  I am concerned that putting a wider tire in the rear will make for some funky handling.  For those of you who put a wider tire on and also ride on curvy roads, how does the wider tire, especially a 140, affect the handling.

BTW, the stock tires don't last forever.  I wore out my first rear in 8500 miles.  The front has 14,600 miles on it.  It's not worn out but is cupped and starting to handle funny.

It's too bad that we don't have any other choice for rear tires due to it's funky size.

I wouldn't mind running a 140 rear tire but the sidewall is awfully close to the shocks.

mrpickem

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2014, 11:14:23 PM »
Needing a rear tire for my 2013 S8.

Was considering http://www.bikebandit.com/michelin-city-grip-scooter-tire 140/60-14 for $64  Thoughts?

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2014, 07:18:35 PM »
I have a City Grip on the front of my Sport City 250.  I like the tire but I'm not sure what putting a much wider than stock tire will do to the handling of the Super 8.  Also I'd go with a 140/70-14 to be closer to the height of the stock tire.

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

tetsixty8

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2014, 04:10:45 AM »
Hello Everyone!
Good info here on reading tire specs.
http://heidenautires.com/specifications/

Has anyone tried this setup yet? on a Super 8 ( I live in the Pacific northwest = lots of rain )

Part Number: 2731878  Michelin City Grip Scooter Tire, Front, 120/70-14, 14, Tire, Tube/Tubeless, Bias Ply, 55, S
Part Number: 3151644  Michelin City Grip Scooter Tire, Rear, Reinforced, 140/70-14, 14, Tire, Tube/Tubeless, Bias Ply, 68, P
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 12:31:36 PM by tetsixty8 »

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2014, 10:11:15 PM »

Has anyone tried this setup yet? on a Super 8 ( I live in the Pacific northwest = lots of rain )

Part Number: 2731878  Michelin City Grip Scooter Tire, Front, 120/70-14, 14, Tire, Tube/Tubeless, Bias Ply, 55, S
Part Number: 3151644  Michelin City Grip Scooter Tire, Rear, Reinforced, 140/70-14, 14, Tire, Tube/Tubeless, Bias Ply, 68, P

I have considered this setup but I don't know that going 2 sizes larger (120-140) on the rear is a good idea.  The tire is not designed to be mounted on such a narrow rim and may end up with funky handling.  I don't think it would be unsafe but it may give the scooter a weird feeling in curves.  I know that some people have put a 140 on the rear but so far no one has answered the question of how it affect handling.  I'm on my second stock rear tire and will need to replace the front soon.  I may just get another OEM tire.

BTW, I ride regularly in the rain.  I take it easy and haven't had any problems with the stock tires. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Nori

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2014, 06:43:27 PM »
had serious problems last year , and continuing them this year ...
everytime on spring and summer the fireman washes the roads at 10-11 PM and that's the time i hate riding my kymco
it doesn't matter how careful and slowly you take the ride its about a small reflexive reaction and you're done...

tetsixty8

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2014, 06:57:25 PM »
Klaviator, found a few posts:"New Tires", some feed back on 120/70/14/140/70/14

http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=9019.msg97428#msg97428,

http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=8791.0

The 70 series tire is taller and affects ride quality...ride is harsher... Taller also increases your braking distance because more force is needed to stop a tire with bigger radius.  Taller tire also means poor acceleration... However, taller tires give better mileage but poor handling...  I would go for a wider and and lower tire.... they look cooler... ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 07:11:31 PM by tetsixty8 »

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2014, 04:27:40 PM »
Klaviator, found a few posts:"New Tires", some feed back on 120/70/14/140/70/14

http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=9019.msg97428#msg97428,

http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=8791.0

I have read all those threads.  People say the tire fits if you remove the hugger and it "looks cool"  No one has said anything about how it handles.  As for this statement:

"The 70 series tire is taller and affects ride quality...ride is harsher... Taller also increases your braking distance because more force is needed to stop a tire with bigger radius.  Taller tire also means poor acceleration... However, taller tires give better mileage but poor handling...  I would go for a wider and and lower tire.... they look cooler... ;D ;D ;D"

It makes no sense.  A taller tire will normally give a smoother ride.  However, if you go with a taller and wider tire and run the same pressure, it may degrade the ride and it will weigh much more than the stock tire.  The brakes on my super 8 work fine, I doubt a taller tire will affect braking enough to notice.  Poor handling?  How?  A taller tire will increase cornering clearance, something the super 8 is short of.  Also, it is likely to increase mileage slightly since you will lower RPMs.  He is correct about less acceleration.

My experience with putting a taller tire on the rear of my Aprilia is no noticeable change in handling and or ride.  Reports from people putting a wider tire on is that it makes the bike want to stand up in curves.  And this is with a one size wider tire.  Normally going up one tire size is fine but 2 sizes may not be. 

The stock rear tire is 120/80-14.  If I could find a 130/80-14 I'd go with it.  A 140/60-14 will be wider and shorter than stock.  It will increase your engine RPM at a given speed, decrease cornering clearance, and maybe give a harsher ride.  I wouldn't be surprised if it made the scooter handle like sh**, but I don't know because no one has commented on this.  I couldn't care less that it looks " cool".  I want a tire that works.  I ride my scooter.  I don't stand around looking at it.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 04:30:37 PM by klaviator »
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

james_bandido

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2017, 10:41:13 AM »
hi there from the Philippines :-D

just got my Super 8 150 before xmas :-D

i was considering of changing the stock tires as i was told it is very difficult to handle specially on wet roads.

someone suggested i go to 120/70-14 and 140/70-14 for the front and rear respectively.

do i need to do some mods on my ride so that these tires would fit ?

btw, the brand suggested to me was either a FDR, Mizzle or Shinko.

i wanted the Michellin but cant find the appropriate size.

any advice, comments, suggestions (or even violent reactions) are much welcome.

thanks in advance.

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2017, 01:58:59 PM »
hi there from the Philippines :-D

just got my Super 8 150 before xmas :-D

i was considering of changing the stock tires as i was told it is very difficult to handle specially on wet roads.

someone suggested i go to 120/70-14 and 140/70-14 for the front and rear respectively.

do i need to do some mods on my ride so that these tires would fit ?

btw, the brand suggested to me was either a FDR, Mizzle or Shinko.

i wanted the Michellin but cant find the appropriate size.

any advice, comments, suggestions (or even violent reactions) are much welcome.

thanks in advance.

Hey James. Try opening up a new thread under the Super 8 Forum. You are piggy-backing on an old thread. You should get a better response. Best of luck!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 02:04:42 PM by Mr. Paul »
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2017, 06:39:40 PM »
I just replaced my rear tire with an Avon Viper Stryke 120/80-14 FRONT TIRE.  It's the correct size and I can't say I feel much difference from the stock rear tire but I have only gone out for one short ride.  I doubt it will last as long as the stock Chen Shin's did but it was also much less expensive at 60 bucks vs over 100 for the Chen Shin. 

I'll update after I have put some miles on it. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()