Author Topic: Mongoose 90 Starting Problems.  (Read 10025 times)

Moyyom

• View Profile
Mongoose 90 Starting Problems.
« on: January 19, 2012, 11:15:25 PM »
We bought a Kymco Mongoose 90 last summer(I believe it's a 2005, but I can't be certain).
When we bought it, it ran great, started no problem, kids loved it. However, When we tossed it out into the shed for the winter and are trying to pull it back out now, it is giving us the biggest problems.

We've tried the basic tricks to get it started, however neither myself nor my dad are mechanics so we don't really know where to go. Luckily, the people who bought it from are friends so we have had them trying to help us(also not mechanics).

We've tried Topping off the tank(The obvious), checking the spark and making sure it had compression.

However, it fails to do anything.
The old owners told us to send some starter fluid into the "Two holes" beneath the seat and now we are getting a *chug chug* sound however it doesn't sound like it wants to start. I've been told that they start no problem in the cold(it's about 35 degrees F here so I wouldn't even call that "cold").

I was just wondering where I should go to next, we're all out of ideas and we're really not happy about having a quad that we can't ride around.

Handlebar switch is on, key is on, fuel is set to ON(Res also doesn't work), we're using the choke like the manual says... Just lost at where to go next.

Snerb722

• View Profile
Re: Mongoose 90 Starting Problems.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 03:04:12 AM »
I came across this post when I was researching the exact same issue with my son's mongoose 90 (2013). We bought it in the summer and it ran fine, started everytime. We stored it for the winter being sure to add stabil to the full gas tank. Went to start it a day or so ago after it had sat for about 6 months and it wouldn't start. I spent some time researching common problems with these things and didn't come up with much. I think the automatic choke on these things is not the best because all it took was taking apart the air box and spraying some gas directly into the carb from the air intake and it started right up. Now each time I go to start it, it turns right over.

Anyway, I know this is an old post but hope it helps someone else that is having the same issue.

aaron8

• View Profile
Re: Mongoose 90 Starting Problems.
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 03:54:16 AM »
first thing to do with anything that has been sitting is drain the gas out of the carburetor bowl.  flat screw driver is all you need

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()