Author Topic: People S 125 hard starting  (Read 2535 times)

sonofbc

• View Profile
People S 125 hard starting
« on: October 23, 2011, 03:12:40 AM »
I have a 2010 Kymco people S 125 scooter. I bought it new and have had it back to the dealer three times for hard starting issues when cold (engine not ambient temperature). These trips to the dealer did not solve anything. (They would tell me that everything checks out and that they did not have any issues starting it??)
The machine will fire immediately when the starter is engaged but dies within 2 seconds. It will then not fire again unless I let it ‘rest’ for 30 seconds or so. It will then fire and die once more. If I repeat this long enough it will finally catch. When it initially starts and stays running the idle is very low and then after about 10 seconds of stumbling it comes up to standard idle speed. All this must be done with the throttle in the fully closed position. If I crack the throttle before it runs up to standard idle speed it will die. Once I have it running it is good for the day. If I use it every day it starts almost immediately although sometimes it takes a few cranks. If I leave it for a week then starting is very frustrating.
I disassembled the carburetor and checked all the ports and all are clear. There is a very small pin hole in the port that feeds the bystarter and I ran a small thin wire through it to make sure it had no obstructions. I also placed a drop of oil on the port and then blew compressed air back through the bystarter circuit and it blew the oil free from the port. I therefore feel the bystarter circuit is open. (cold). I then pulled the bystarter, put 12V across the terminals and observed the needle come out about 1/8” or so. I then reassembled everything (hoping that I had ‘fixed’ something) but still the problem exists. I then reapplied the 12V across the bystarter terminals for about 3 minutes and surprisingly the bike acted exactly the same. (hard starting but eventually caught). Makes me think it is not getting choke enrichment but all ports seem clear??) The bike is still pristine as I have only run it since new in warm dry weather and all the vacuum hoses and wiring look like new.
I do not know for sure if the engine is starving for fuel or getting too much. Is there any way to tell?
I am not sure what I should try next.
Anyone have some suggestions?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 03:14:59 AM by sonofbc »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()