Author Topic: How do you de-restrict the CDI on a Like 50 2T  (Read 2520 times)

Mattl.

• View Profile
How do you de-restrict the CDI on a Like 50 2T
« on: October 21, 2011, 02:20:05 PM »
I have already done the jet and the variator.  It goes 37-38 on the flat and 41-42 downhill.

scootermaven

• View Profile
Re: How do you de-restrict the CDI on a Like 50 2T
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 04:09:51 PM »
I have already done the jet and the variator.  It goes 37-38 on the flat and 41-42 downhill.

As I understand it, you can't de-restrict the stock CDI unit.  It has to be completely replaced with a new, unrestricted unit, which can be purchased online.  After the "speed kit" (what a joke) from KYMCO has been put in, consisting of an unrestricted boss drive and a slightly larger main jet, to get any real significant increase in performance one really needs to go with a good performance exhaust.  All the performance exhausts usually come with various jets for up-jetting that will be needed, stiffer clutch springs and lighter variator weights.  If you get the right performance exhaust and it is installed/tuned correctly for the scoot, it will perform much better, especially during acceleration and hill-climbing.  In my experience with the Like 2T to this point, one must also consider replacing the stock carb to one that is slightly larger and one where the fuel/air mixture screw can be used for fine tuning.  The fuel/air screw on the U.S. Like 2T's are not adjustable...I guess to pass EPA/Fed DOT regulations somehow.  Once you have installed a good performance exhaust, there's a glued-in restrictor on the front side of the air box where the fresh air hose attaches to the box that should be removed along with proper up-jetting to get the correct fuel/air mixture.  I installed a LeoVince SP3 exhaust on mine and after removing the air box restrictor I had to go up to a size 94 or 96 (can't remember exactly at this point) jet to get the scooter to run correctly.  The moral of the story here is that the U.S. Like 2T is all bogged-down with so many restrictions it's ridiculous all that has to be done to get some respectable performance out of the scooter, however it can be done with some time and money.  I've got a 2003 KYMCO ZX-50 that will absolutely run-off-and-leave the Like 2T, but back in 2003 there weren't nearly as many restrictions needing to be removed outside of changing out the boss drive and easily splicing a couple of wires together on the OUTSIDE of the CDI unit.  Best of luck! 
I may be slower uphill, but I'm quicker at the gas pump!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()