Author Topic: Too Long to Warm Up  (Read 15587 times)

yvg

• Kymco Agility 50, Kymco Super 8 50
    • View Profile
Re: Too Long to Warm Up
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2009, 06:26:10 AM »
Well... in my case after 30 sec I can not even go slight uphill of 5%...

I plan to make a simple test - to warm up a carb with electric air heater to, say, +15. I believe that we have complications with a) rubber membrane that controls vacuum inside carb - it is becoming too hard, and b) casoline is evaporating quite slow from cold carb. So I think that the scooter does not run well until carb is getting warmer, and this is slow because of we have termal insulator between cylinder head and carb entry pipe.

Yury

OldGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2009, 02:53:40 PM »
Might work, but I'd be awfully leary of doing that since gasoline has a flash point of about -40 degrees. (Interesting side note: -40 C. = -40 F.) Has anyone tried bringing your scoot inside overnight?
OldGuy
Wanna be GrandVista rider

Inside every old person is a young person wondering,
"What the heck happened?"

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2009, 03:04:38 PM »
It's up over 50 deg. F here today for the first time since I wrote
the first entry.  I'll be going out to the storage shed to see if there's
a significant difference in the Temp. vs. Start performance.

The "Choke Instructions" are most appreciated.  By the way,  this is
a 4 Cycle.  In the original entry,  NO power could be gained when
giving it any throttle.

redlights

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2009, 01:43:32 AM »
Hi I am new to the forums. (found them through twitter- anyway)  I have the same problems starting up in the morning here in Maryland and unfortunately have to go up hill to get out of the neighborhood. I have to say that I like the advice that "Oldguy" gave and hope to use it later this week.  (I am also fortunate enough to work at the same place as my wife - so we can carpool at times.)  I'll definitely keep an eye on this thread.

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2009, 07:59:17 PM »
Since I originally entered this thread on Jan. 3rd.,  there have been a lot of good comments.
Here we are,  March 25th. and the weather here is now 60 -70 degrees F.   Now....Let's take
about two weeks ago on Sunday morning.  About 35 degrees.   My driveway is downhill and several
hundred feet long.  Should be enough to warm up without using much gas because it's rolling.
Then I hit the sidewalk to ride an 1/8 mi. to the gas station to get a paper. (Not worth pulling
onto 5 lane highway to go that far.)  Had to constantly mess with the throttle to keep it
even running.  Now let's take a warmer day (50 or above).  Starts and runs super.

This has the cut CDI wire and came home close to 50 mph.  Again, I  appreciate the comment
and instructions about the choke.  Will be doing this in the near future.

Heck.....It's really not a warm-up issue or idling or whatever,  It just plain won't run when it's cold.

You know,  I've been thinking about the Grandvista 250,  but everytime I ride this 50,  I just love it.
At least when it's warm.

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2009, 08:10:00 PM »
You might want to read the posting by cmike in the people 50 catagory . I think it is relevent . Good luck .

ltf3

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2009, 08:31:39 PM »

Heck.....It's really not a warm-up issue or idling or whatever,  It just plain won't run when it's cold.

HI

Any more on this?

I've had my Agility 50 (unmodified) for 2 years now, through 2 winters. Urbestfriend is right. If it's cold the scooter just won't go. In temps below 40F I usually have to pump the throttle many times (usually 50x if it's below freezing) to get a quick ignition. Then I have to leave the engine idling for at least 10 minutes. If I try to ride before this time the engine dies as soon as any load is applied as the throttle increases.  If I do get off, I might lose power abruptly at any time for the first 10-15 mins of the ride. It becomes a game of throttle control!

I'm sure a heated garage would be great... but it isn't likely!

So, bad for the engine or not, the warm up period is compulsory ... unless someone discovered something?

Thanks

Lee

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2009, 11:35:45 PM »
You hit the nail on the head with that post oldguy. For auld.nick The 10? would be ten ohms restistance, measured w/ an ohm meter between the terminals. For the cock,and bull about melting a wax part, I believe the reference was to a wax expansion plug. All automotive thermostats are controlled by the expansion of a wax nodule inside the thermostat. Oldguy referred to a bi metal switch which MAY be inside the choke control, I do not know. The kymco dealer was most likely referring to a wax nodule controlling the choke. Most all of our scoots. have a jet/atomizer that IS the fuel supply for the choke circut. The plunger simply opens or closes the passage to this jet. Oldguy is exactly right in stating the warmer the intake system gets the better the burn. Also cold air is quite a bit denser than warm so many border line running scoots. will not perform well at all in cold weather. There is a world of info. on this forum. YOU GUYS ROCK!!!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2009, 12:35:44 AM »
I have learned this trick from having to do it on my car because of a cold air intake.  I let the engine warm up at idle for maybe 3-5 min then I kill it and let it sit for another few minutes.  While it is sitting the heat from the motor slowly warms the surrounding metal including the throttle body, or in this case the carburetor.  Actually warming the intake happens very slowly while the engine is running due to the constant stream of cold air being draw in and accelerated through.  ;)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2009, 10:49:53 AM »
I have learned this trick from having to do it on my car because of a cold air intake.  I let the engine warm up at idle for maybe 3-5 min then I kill it and let it sit for another few minutes.  While it is sitting the heat from the motor slowly warms the surrounding metal including the throttle body, or in this case the carburetor.  Actually warming the intake happens very slowly while the engine is running due to the constant stream of cold air being draw in and accelerated through.  ;)

..That's been my S.O.P. for the last two winters...I ride 16 miles at 5:30 every morning...year round...

..in the winter, I warm her up...shut her down..adorn my head-sock, wind deflector, helmet, gloves..etc..

..when I'm all bundled up i just fire the ol girl up and put'r in the wind...

peace
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

ltf3

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2009, 03:00:16 AM »
..That's been my S.O.P. for the last two winters...I ride 16 miles at 5:30 every morning...year round...

..in the winter, I warm her up...shut her down..adorn my head-sock, wind deflector, helmet, gloves..etc..

..when I'm all bundled up i just fire the ol girl up and put'r in the wind...

peace

Thanks for the suggestion! It worked great this morning .... not too cold but a nip in the air that normally would take a long warm up.  Unfortunately  my joy was short lived... 2 hours after arriving at work I went out to scoot across town for an appointment and my scooter was gone!! Stolen I guess ... the giant 1/2 inch braided steel cable and block 'o steel lock nowhere to be seen. Right out of the parking garage ... no one saw a thing.  What kind of cutters can slice a chain like that so quickly?

And if they can is there any point getting another scooter. They'll take that too ! :-(((((((((

Lee

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2009, 03:19:53 AM »
Man, that really sucks! Truth is just about any lock can be broken if you have some decent cable cutter though!  We have a small pair called Knipix no bigger than a pair of pliers at my shop we use to cut locks off when customers lose the key.  They will cut through those big 3/4" steel braided cables in 2 snips!  The hardest ones to cut off are big chains, and U-locks.  We use an angle grinder for those!  If someone wants something bad enough, all it takes is the right tool!  Best of luck!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2009, 05:11:18 AM »
That TOTALLY SUCKS!!! It really makes you wonder what the f is wrong w/ people. That is the kind of thing that would never happen if the criminal justice system wasn't a revolving door. It may have gone straight into a van/ pickup. Perhaps your town has " Traffic" cameras that could be checked. (If you can get a doughnut eater to check it out) Freon is commonly used the freeze those big locks. One shot w/ a hammer and they're toast. I truely hope they get caught!!!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2009, 10:40:05 AM »
...dang..It's sad, and it happens all the time..I live in a good neighborhood, and my scoot still sit's in my living room every night...when I get to work in the mornings..right inside the building we go...Two guys can heft one of these into the back of a pick-up truck before you can blink an eye...

..I feel for y' man...Damn the criminals....
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()