Author Topic: Things Not in the Manual  (Read 3720 times)

Mike Mc

• View Profile
Things Not in the Manual
« on: September 12, 2011, 02:57:11 PM »
 Every service manual misses SOMEthing. Here are two things not in the Kymco documents.

1).  To change the air filter cover, it says to remove 6 screws. True, but that still leaves a metal strut/bracket in front holding the cover in place. I undid the bolt holding the bracket to the frame, leaving the bracket attached to the cover. Somewhat hard to get back in place (you need to get the bracket back behind some other metal tabs near it), but at least it will come off.

2). In order to change the spark plug, the instruction says "remove frame cover".  Even after you figure out that it is the black plastic vertical piece behind your calves, you will not see a single screw to undo. Fear not, first just lift up the rubber floor mat (it snaps in place)
and you will see two inviting-looking screws. After you undo them, it still won't come out. Open the seat and you will see a VERY large screw holding the back of the frame cover on. Take this off,  and the only thing holding it in place now is friction on the snaps.

Please add and modify this thread as you find out new "gotchas".

Doug9678

• View Profile
Re: Things Not in the Manual
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 01:14:08 AM »
Good points Mike Mc!
2009 GrandVista 249cc
Amsoil 10w-40
Iridium Plug

schmarkeep

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 09:51:05 AM »
Perfect! Fantastic info.  I haven't had my GV250 in my possession for over two years, but it's back! And time for a tune-up!  This GV250 will be riding the great state of Alaska this year!

Rudolf

• Born to be wild!!!
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 07:04:03 AM »
Also i had problems of removing the cylinder head from the engine while it was in the frame. There is a crossbar welded on the frame that holds up the trunk and seat assembly and when i try to extract the cylinder head, the bolts holding the intake manifold are hitting the crossbar. I have to unscrew from the cylinder head the two bolts holding the intake manifold and unmount the bike from it's center stand, so the engine lowers itself only than i can extract the cylinder head. If the engine is too low the cylinder head as it comes out hits the gas tank, so it's very tricky to extract the cylinder head and also the the cylinder.

Rudolf

• Born to be wild!!!
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 10:58:38 AM »
Another thing missing from the manual is how to bleed the air out from the waterjacket.

Rudolf

• Born to be wild!!!
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 05:49:30 AM »
What is the toque for tightening the rocker arm adjusting nut and bolt?

Candoman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 12:49:53 AM »
I found that metal bracket attached to the air filter cover to be such a hassle that I just left it off.  Now it is held on by 6 screws just like the manual indicates.   :)

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 08:01:06 AM »
I found that metal bracket attached to the air filter cover to be such a hassle that I just left it off.  Now it is held on by 6 screws just like the manual indicates.   :)

The trick I used is to disconnect the other end.  Then put the bolt in that holds the air cleaner then the lower bold on the other end of the thin metal piece (just above the drive belt cover). The metal piece does not seem like it is made correctly or is designed like the exhaust to make it hard to get the bolts started so you take it to the dealer more.  Oddly, my bolt was missing but the filter still had the original factory date stamp.

PaulC

Rudolf

• Born to be wild!!!
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 07:58:16 AM »
How to tighten the bolts from the bottom of the front shockabsorbers, The bolts seem to be spinning endlessly without tightening? The tube of the piston is spinning.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 04:17:35 PM »
How to tighten the bolts from the bottom of the front shockabsorbers, The bolts seem to be spinning endlessly without tightening? The tube of the piston is spinning.
I've had this happen once before, you need needs shocks if that's the case.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()