Author Topic: Just fell off my Scooter  (Read 6553 times)

DoGOV

• View Profile
Just fell off my Scooter
« on: August 12, 2011, 08:43:14 PM »

bmcafee

• View Profile
Re: Just fell off my Scooter
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 09:37:10 PM »
Holy crap man, how fast were you going?

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 09:49:38 PM »
and your smiling about it. ouch must not hurt to bad. or you are on some dame good meds. lol
so tell us what happen.

Dale4

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 09:51:38 PM »
You gotta tell us the story so we know what to avoid. Wish you a speedy recovery.

jaws

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 11:14:19 PM »
Dayyymmn! Road rash is no fun lol. Hope your ok and your scooter isn't to thrashed. How fast were you goin?

DoGOV

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 03:57:04 PM »
Thanks for all the good wishes. Well, I was coming back from advanced autoparts because I needed a feeler gauge for valve clearance check. I had just gotten back into my girlfriends neighborhood which has a lot of hills and turns. I was going down a hill while turning left and just leaned into it a little too hard. I caught the kickstand and it skid out form under me. i was going about 30+i guess. If I had any advice it would be to wear some real shoes instead of flip flops. Also jeans would have helped. It's just that it was like 100+ degrees outside yesterday and I love flip flops and shorts haha.I was wearing a full face helmet. It didn't hurt at all when it happened. I was just like "sh**, that actually just happened" it felt like I had just fallen of a waterski or wakeboard. But buy the time my GF picked me up and took me to the ER things started to get really bright but that only lasted like 10 seconds. Then the pain started to set in. It was never really that painful except when they were scrubbing my wounds with the soap. Now I'm all bandaged up and taking some motrin to help me sleep. :)

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 04:45:08 PM »
I'm glad there were no broken bones.  I have a friend that wears flip flops even when we go bike riding.  I cringe to think about it...
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 04:50:26 PM »
Thanks for all the good wishes. Well, I was coming back from advanced autoparts because I needed a feeler gauge for valve clearance check. I had just gotten back into my girlfriends neighborhood which has a lot of hills and turns. I was going down a hill while turning left and just leaned into it a little too hard. I caught the kickstand and it skid out form under me. i was going about 30+i guess. If I had any advice it would be to wear some real shoes instead of flip flops. Also jeans would have helped. It's just that it was like 100+ degrees outside yesterday and I love flip flops and shorts haha.I was wearing a full face helmet. It didn't hurt at all when it happened. I was just like "sh**, that actually just happened" it felt like I had just fallen of a waterski or wakeboard. But buy the time my GF picked me up and took me to the ER things started to get really bright but that only lasted like 10 seconds. Then the pain started to set in. It was never really that painful except when they were scrubbing my wounds with the soap. Now I'm all bandaged up and taking some motrin to help me sleep. :)

To treat the road rash:

1. Wash the wounds once per day using hydrous peroxide. It is very cheap and readily available in drugstores. It will wash away all organic waste (puss) and remains of the asphalt. Just pour some on the wound - it does not burn unlike medicinal alcohol.

2. Buy some spray-disinfectant that can be sprayed directly to wounds. They are also cheap and usually include some antibiotic.

3. Finally, in the first week, if you dress the wounds, buy a mesh-gauze soaked in vazeline used for treatment of burns. It looks like a small mesh or grid, you can cut it to dimension and place on the wound. Then you can use regular wrapping over it. It prevents the gauze from sticking to the wound and ripping the forming crust.

4. Ramp up intake of Omega 3/fish oil, protein intake (cottage cheese, lean meat, whole eggs) and you can take 5 g of creatine per day (it greatly helps healing). You can get 1 lb of creatine for 20 US$ in food supplement/bodybuilding stores.

Good luck with healing!
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 06:36:29 PM »
To treat the road rash:

1. Wash the wounds once per day using hydrous peroxide. It is very cheap and readily available in drugstores. It will wash away all organic waste (puss) and remains of the asphalt. Just pour some on the wound - it does not burn unlike medicinal alcohol.

2. Buy some spray-disinfectant that can be sprayed directly to wounds. They are also cheap and usually include some antibiotic.

3. Finally, in the first week, if you dress the wounds, buy a mesh-gauze soaked in vazeline used for treatment of burns. It looks like a small mesh or grid, you can cut it to dimension and place on the wound. Then you can use regular wrapping over it. It prevents the gauze from sticking to the wound and ripping the forming crust.

4. Ramp up intake of Omega 3/fish oil, protein intake (cottage cheese, lean meat, whole eggs) and you can take 5 g of creatine per day (it greatly helps healing). You can get 1 lb of creatine for 20 US$ in food supplement/bodybuilding stores.

Good luck with healing!

I've found it effective to treat the wounds and the pain using alcohol applied internally.  For the best results have your girlfriend apply it while you are soaking in a pool.  If a man approaches you with vaseline then grab your girlfriend and carefully back away from the pool.

Shoes are the thing I won't even ride to the mailbox without.  A helmet for any further.  For short jaunts I put on my fingerless gloves - to me they are more important than long pants because if I fall then my hands always hit the ground (Handy when riding scooters, riding bikes, wearing skates, walking while shewing gum...). 
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 08:30:39 PM »
Ouch. Looks sore. I came off a couple of months ago and im still sore. Hope the scoots not too badly hurt  ;D
Chaos is my co-pilot.

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 09:11:46 PM »
Last time I went over the handlebars it took me a couple of months to get back in the saddle , of coarse I was 57 years old at that time . I healed .

DoGOV

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 10:57:24 PM »
Looks like I have to fix the alignment of the front tire and the handlebars. Anybody know how to do this? :-\

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 12:54:56 AM »
Looks like I have to fix the alignment of the front tire and the handlebars. Anybody know how to do this? :-\

Put it onto the centerstand and loosen the triple clamps and the front axle.  Be careful not to let the bike fall forward.  Wiggle the front end until everything looks straight and then tighten them back up.  You can use a straight 2x4 to ensure the wheels are aligned to each other - or tie a string from the front of the front tire, around the back of the rea tire, and back to the front of the front tire (encircling the tires).  Then sight along the string to make sure everything looks even.  Then just align the bars by sight...
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

mrpackerguy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 11:22:23 PM »
I like quote from the guy somewhere on this forum that said "It's not about the ride, it's about the slide".  I'm 48 but paranoid, so when I take my 50 out, even in the heat we've been having, I put on jeans and a light long sleeve shirt and helmet.  My kids laugh at me and I laugh at them for laughing at me, cause I could really give a crap what they or anyone else thinks :).  When I ride my super 8 150 into work, then they really get worked up when I put my riding jacket on on top of everything else :)

Thanks for the picture - now I can show my 16 year old who just got his license that there's no such thing as too careful, even on an Agility 50.  Hope you heal up real quick!
2007 Silver Agility 50
2009 Green Super 8 150

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011, 11:33:20 PM »
To treat the road rash:

Good luck with healing!

I don't always agree with Axy but in this case I agree completely.  Hopefully, you went to a doc and so do not need this advice.
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()