Author Topic: Kymco People 50  (Read 10688 times)

Brian1

• View Profile
Kymco People 50
« on: November 15, 2008, 10:51:28 PM »
Hi all:

I just bought a used Kymco people 50 (2005) for a few hundred dollars because it is banged up, has high mileage, (a minimum of 9,000 miles) before the odometer broke and has a broken front fender, broken signal lights (both left and right), yet everything else seems to work.

Here's my questions:

1)  The spark plug gets dirty quickly and it doesn't start if it's been only run a short time.  What's the likely cause considering the high mileage on such a little engine?
2)  Can larger Kymco engines (say a 125/150 or 200cc) engines be swapped without getting too technical?
3)  What should I do for winter storage (I live in Toronto Canada) and the bike will be stored in an outdoor garage?

I'd Appreciate any pointers

yajblackburn

• 2004 ZX50, 2000 People 50, 2002 Yup50
    • View Profile
Re: Kymco People 50
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 01:52:15 PM »
A 2005 People for a few hundered dollars is a great deal first of all.  As for the mileage, it really doesn't matter how many miles are on the bike as long as it has been taken care of.  I have a 99 People 50 with 12,000 miles and a ZX50 with 11,000 and they both run fine.  The only vehicle I had to do work on was the 99 People 50 because it was stored on a beach for over two years, there was sand inside the motor so I had to tear it apart and clean everything and replace the crankshaft bearings.  Even after that the vehicle started right up.  If I were you I would not be concerned with mileage.  If the plug is getting fouled up, take a look at the following:  Take the spark plug out of the cylinder head and crank it over without the plug installed and see if there is a gas cloud escaping whilie it's cranking.  You should'nt be able to see any.  My advice would be to completly clean the carburetor, install a fuel filter, new spark plug, new air filter and replace the fuel lines.  I bet you after all of that has been done, the vehicle will start.  I'm not sure if a 125-200cc motor will fit on the bike.  With the 50cc motor, you will be able to hit 50mph when it is derestricted.  As for winter storage, take the spark plug out and put a small amount of two stroke oil into the cylinder and crank it over a few times.  I wouldn't reccomend draining the fuel tank, I would fill it up completly and add some two stroke winter additives to the fuel, let it run for a second or two to let the additive flow into the carburetor and the rest of the fuel system.  That should be fine.

OldGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 05:18:08 PM »
One more comment. If you're a newbie to 2 stroke scooters they do use plugs rather quickly. KYMCO says every 2000 Km.

Another possibility comes to mind; Is it the correct plug? I believe the specified plug is an NGK BR8HSA.
OldGuy
Wanna be GrandVista rider

Inside every old person is a young person wondering,
"What the heck happened?"

yajblackburn

• 2004 ZX50, 2000 People 50, 2002 Yup50
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 01:21:07 AM »
Spark plug NGK BPR8HSA.  The HSA is kind of hard to find, I use NGKBR8S and have used them for the past two years on my Kymco's without problems.  I would purchase several of them.  Sometimes the solution is just a simple spark plug away.

OldGuy

• View Profile
Spark Plug Update
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 02:14:08 AM »
I queried NGK tech support about the difference between the BR8HSA and the BR8S. Here's their response:
Hello,

The H in the part number stands for the thread reach which in this case
is 12.7mm (1/2"), so that part of the number needs to stay. The S stands
for standard plug. The A stands for a special design which in the case
of the BR8HSA gives the plug 2.5mm more insulator projection than the
regular BR8HS.

For this application that extra long insulator helps to reduce fouling,
ease starting, and increase throttle response. So if possible using the
recommended BR8HSA will be better for overall engine performance. Hope
this helps, thank you.

Regards,

Brandon Peeler
Technical Support Representative
Aftermarket Division
NGK Spark Plugs (U.S.A.), INC.
46929 Magellan Dr.
Wixom, MI 48393

« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 02:15:51 AM by OldGuy »
OldGuy
Wanna be GrandVista rider

Inside every old person is a young person wondering,
"What the heck happened?"

verles1998

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 11:04:59 PM »
  Hi got a kymco people 50 in April 20, 2009 it started up whan i got it. how much is a keyswitch
05 Kymco People 50

swmjason

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 02:22:20 AM »
Remove the ignition, 2 bolts aprox 10mm, and wire harness..... take to nearest locksmith, aprox $15.00 NEW Keys MADE @_@

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 04:00:24 AM »
Hey yaj, good to see you posting! I have been using the BR7S For exactly the reason you stated (hard to find), and the reason for the 7 vs 8 is the reason oldguy posted. The 7 is one step hotter, and gives back the throttle response the HSA had. True it takes 2 kicks to fire vs one. I can live w/ that. I can get the plugs in town, instead of on line ordering them. I have also taken 2mm of my Malossi head (just enough to keep the gasket allignment ring) so the shorter tip is a non issue.. To sum up Plugs can be swapped out , If you have a game plan. (or lots of time for trail & error)
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 04:53:50 AM »
Zombie- How & why did you take 2mm off your head?  Higher compression?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2009, 05:47:29 AM »
ZACTLY... I didn't have a formula, or a model to follow, but I do have a 12" sanding table. I just kept taking a little at at time untill i had just enough of the ring seat for the gasket to hold. I did this when I found the burnt piston. (cheap sh>t 2t oil). I also have a '78 nc50 honda (stock) and one I have been modding. I did the same w/ the modded honda first and got a better throttle response across the board, so I figured what the heck. I did get some pre ignition at first, so I went up 2 steps w/ the tourch tip cleaner on both the main, and idle jets. To be on the safe side I changed to the BR7 plug, because as the previous post they are shorter (trying to keep the ign. of the pist dome. All this did nothing for the top end (65-67) but it did give a little quicker time getting there. Right now I have NO packing in the silencer, and I don't think I could force another 1/4 horse out of it. I just don't think I can move any more air though it. I am keeping my eyes/ears open for a scrap super fever engine to build a stroker 125 though! Besides the cvt work the BEST money spent was on the Sutia programed cdi
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()