Author Topic: Electrical issues  (Read 6825 times)

abaig

• View Profile
Electrical issues
« on: June 09, 2011, 04:14:55 AM »
Hi, this is my first post so I hope I'm in the right place.  I have an 07 Agility 125 that I bought in 09, and it runs great.  However, I have had a problem with the electrical system.  My battery used to give me troubles, it would die out in the slightest of cold weather, but that has been working fine for the last month.  However, all at once my turn signals went out, all 4 of them.  Someone suggested changing the switch on the handlebar, so I did that, but still no luck.  Someone else told me it could be the winker relay, and I located that inside but have not been able to find anyone who stocks that part, assuming that even is what the problem is.  I know this sounds silly, but I was not sure if there are fuses as there are in a car that might just need to be replaced.  The only fuse I have ever located was the one for the battery under the floorboard. 

The other problem I am having now is that ever since I took the front cover off to get to the relay, my passing (bright) lights do not work, although my regular headlight still works fine.  Everything seems to be hooked up tight and correctly, as I did not undo anything while taking out the relay except for the relay.  No one in my area works on scooters, especially Kymco, so I'm all on my own here and I am not a "car" guy, so this is a whole new world to me.  I would really appreciate any help you have.

Portland Steve

• View Profile
Re: Electrical issues
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 03:17:23 PM »
Here is a link to the service manual for starters.

Kymco Agility 125 Service Manual

It sounds like you have a short in there someplace.
Take the front plastics off and have a good look for exposed/melted wiring.
There should be a fuse box in there someplace.  I didn't have time to take a good look at the manual but I can't believe that there isn't one.
Electrical problems are the worst.
Your battery may need replacing too given the age of the bike. 

mjcharger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 04:14:56 PM »
Quick question. Do all the other 12 volt devices work on the scooter (turn signals, gas gauge, horn, brake light)? Or all they all dead like the passing lights? On my agility the engine powers the headlight and instrument panel lighting and the battery provides power to gas gauge, horn, brake lights, turn signals, passing lights and relay.

Double check the connections on your battery and make sure they are tight and clean. There are only 2 fuses on the bike which are down in the floorboard. They take 7 amp fuses. The fuse connected to the black wiring powers all the 12 volt stuff listed above. The fuse in the red wiring controls your battery charging.

Finally when I was working on the electrical system of my bike I had issues with pinched wires from when I was putting the plastic cowling on. I buttoned everything up and then my winker relay didn't blink. I just had solid lights. I assume it was just from pinching the wiring when I jammed it all in. Try taking the plastic cowling off the handlebars and see if everything works fine. Just putting the wiring in weird may be giving you problems.

Let us know what you find out.

jeeves

• Dubrovnik, Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 07:36:08 AM »
Have you fixed the problem?
Had similar problems as you, my electrical regulator/rectifier was to blame. It had a short circuit somewhere inside it and blew the fuse.
The first symptoms were a weak horn sound, turn signals not working properly and not being able to to start the engine with the starter button.

The scoot can still work without the regulator/rectifier as long as there is enough power in the battery, but that doesn't last for long. 
Agility City 125

kickman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 08:23:16 PM »
I too am having electrical issues...just purchased an 05 Super 9 and had to put a new battery in.  The bike started fine for three days but the next day when I turned the key to the On position...nothing...starter wouldn't work, no lights lit up on instrument panel...bike still kicks fine but the blinkers don't work with only a "buzzing" noise and the brake light flickers when brakes are depressed...any ideas on where to start would be greatly appreciated...fuses down by the battery look fine BTW...thanks!

math334k

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 08:33:17 AM »
hi there, i have got this problem with my kymco agility 50. The horn and the passing light stopped working at the same time, witch is a bit frustrating. the braking lights and turning signal works perfectly fine. :)

eamartin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 02:39:10 PM »
"hi there, i have got this problem with my kymco agility 50. The horn and the passing light stopped working at the same time, witch is a bit frustrating. the braking lights and turning signal works perfectly fine. "

Are they in the same switch housing?

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 03:23:25 PM »
My guess, in these cases might be intermittent faults, as opposed to shorted wires.
Bad connections.

The least expensive machines do not use the highest quality components.
Components are sourced from the lowest bidder and contact surfaces within connectors may be marginal, at best.

While inspecting for physically shorted wires due to some sort of damage, it might be a good practice to disconnect things, 1 x 1, clean, and apply a quality dielectric grease to the contacts within the connectors.

This would also bring a level of familiarity with your machine.
Begin with the simplest ones to access !
redk

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()