Poll

How do you cut the cdi unit I don't know which part to cut :( please help thanks

Help
0 (0%)
Me
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: How to cut the cdi  (Read 14862 times)

Charlie_edwards

• View Profile
How to cut the cdi
« on: June 08, 2011, 11:44:39 AM »
How do you cut the cdi like which part and which jet should I use in the carb

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
Re: How to cut the cdi
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 12:33:51 PM »
If you look here, on the 2nd page, wordslinger has posted a photo of a cut cdi, I didnt actually cut it I used a large flat file,  http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=1728.15

I followed his advice and mine is fine. I was worried cos I was cutting deeper and deeper into the cdi and saw no wire, was about to stop and give up just when I had one last file and found the thin wire. Cut it and I now have no rev limit, woohoo. I cut into the cdi 1st but had no luck so resorted to the file which was much better.

I have read that you must also change the variator boss to a flat unrestricted one or you may over rev the engine due to the restriction there. I cut mine and rode like that for 2-3 weeks till I got my smooth boss.

Also you will need an #82 main jet after doing the boss.

The photo or the cut cdi here, http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1728.0;attach=740;image

http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=1639.0

Hope that helps.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Charlie_edwards

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 02:42:21 PM »
Thanks and can you send me a link for what I need like the variator and carb?  And do you keep fileling until you hit a wire then cut the wire
 Also can I use it without the variator thing

Dale Genther

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 06:11:40 PM »
I just cut the CDI wire on my 2006 Agility 50 two hours ago. 15 seconds with a hacksaw and it was done. I had to dig into the cut a bit to see that I actually cut a wire. Picked up about 6-7 MPH on a straight, flat street. Now does 40 MPH with no other modifications.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 06:32:46 PM »
@dale, thats a good gain, I think I only got 4-5 mph at most from my cdi cut.

@ charlie, Will try find links for your boss and post them. I got my bits from Taipai Scooter Assassins, you need an unrestricted boss and an 82 main jet for the carb. Your engine is a gy6 139qmb for the agility 4t 50cc.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 06:40:18 PM »
Oh, and you probably will want lighter rollers, stock weight is 6.5g, i use 5.5g. The weights are size 16x13, plus your roller weight, ie 16x13, 5.5g rollers. You may as well do them when you have the variator off to do the boss. If your doing it yourself you will probably need an impact wrench to remove the variator nut too.

You may want to look at fitting a race variator too, gives faster, smoother acceleration and higher max speed too. Race variator gave me 5-8mph more after I did my derestrict. Now I get 45-48mph on flats and 50 or just over down hills. Again I got mine from Taipai Scooter Assassins.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Charlie_edwards

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 05:39:15 PM »
Thanks guys all done great help

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 06:26:40 PM »
No probs, glad your sorted. You can soon have some fun riding your scoot instead of being overtaken by cyclists ;D
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Charlie_edwards

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 06:59:18 PM »
Yeah thanks and another question how do I change the variator and which sizes do I use and do you think you can send me a link on which parts I need

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 07:09:14 PM »
Why dont you just give me your address and i'll come fit it for you too?  ;D LOL

Will have a look and see later if I can find the links, just about to have dinner.

You should search on youtube for "how a variator works" theres a good vid to explain it if your not sure yet.  if you look for "gy6 variator" or "gy6 variator removal" and you will see there how to remove it, pretty easy if you have an impact wrench, a nightmare if you dont, imo.

You will find a vid on how to change the main jet too under "gy6 main jet" surprisingly enough ;D

You will need an #82 main jet. If I see links later tonight I will post them for you.

As long as you are ok working on basic mechanics and can use tools etc you should be ok to change it, if your not happy doing it then better to get someone to help out or do it for you tho.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Charlie_edwards

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 07:46:52 PM »
Yeah thanks cheers mate

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 10:38:01 PM »
Ok, so these are the parts I put on my scoot to derestrict it after I cut my cdi,

Boss - http://www.exportstrength.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_44_332&products_id=403

Rollers - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Variator-Rollers-16x13-5-5g-Speedfight-Vivacity-Trekker-/270713882746?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3f07ce087a#ht_15006wt_1046

main jet - #82 ( not sure what mm it is, I just took my old stock #80 main jet out and drove over to my kymco dealer to get one and compared the thread on it to mine) email taipei scooter assassins or any ebay seller to check it fits.

The above gave me better acceleration and top speed of about 43 I think.

Next i fitted this race variator but you may not want to bother with this right now, up to you. Or you can get many other makes at different prices, malossi etc. This is mine anyway, gave smoother and quicker acceleration and some more top speed too.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RACE-VARIATOR-GY6-50-KYMCO-BAOTIAN-LIFAN-Chinese-/300540989339?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item45f9a38f9b#ht_1861wt_685

After this I now get about 48mph on the flat (on the clock, prob 43mph actual since speedos are generous). Changing my torque spring in the clutch at the weekend to a 1000rpm to improve my uphill speed a bit too. Maybe think about that after you derestrict it, see how you feel once you try it, you may not need it.

You can get the same bits elsewhere too but if you use Taipai S A then remember the delivery can be slow, usually 1-2 weeks to the UK.

Get tuning and good luck! If you get no luck on main jet size post a new thread to ask the mm diameter and someone should tell you.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Encya

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 10:57:04 AM »
Let us know how that torque spring works out.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 11:06:56 AM »
Will do Encya, if it ever arrives from taipai, been waiting 2 wks so far. Just about to finish work for the day so im hoping the spring has been delivered today and is at home waiting for me, been saying that every day this week tho. Let you know how it does once I try ordered the 3 spring set so I can try 1000, 1500, or 2000rpm spring. Everyone seems to favor the 1000rpm spring  from reading up on this forum tho, so going to try that 1st.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

hungryrussian

• Kymco Agility 50 "Sonic"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 12:15:30 PM »
Taipei has an 88 main jet for the agility on their site so i would imagine they can get any size here's the link http://www.exportstrength.com/index.php?cPath=22_45_905 it also has measurements in the picture 4.85mm thread diameter
'08 Agility 50, 72cc BBK, Naraku HS High Speed Variator, some clutch tweaking, UNI filter with homemade cold air setup, Leo Vince Handmade Titan exhaust, lots of random upgrades i'll never be able to remember.. the look on people's faces when i put a knee down through a curve makes it all worthwhile

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()