Author Topic: bet and win 250 dashboard backlight  (Read 28435 times)

Rudolf

• Born to be wild!!!
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: bet and win 250 dashboard backlight
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 06:54:27 AM »
The whole dashboard. (Grand Dink/Grand Vista 250)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 06:57:01 AM by Rudolf »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2012, 01:11:39 AM »
Yeah... That would be in the garbage. Wouldn't think twice...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Rudolf

• Born to be wild!!!
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2012, 05:35:25 AM »
We Romanians are kind of "Do-it yourself" type of guys, we tend to try to repair things by our selfs before considering discarding them...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2012, 07:06:17 AM »
Us Irish Americans throw it out at the store. Don't even take it home.   Just joking man. I respect the fact you WANT to fix it. It's a matter of time for me. I'd install a few 3-4 led's and be done with it. On to the next project...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

bobmoorman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2012, 12:53:23 AM »
Good Afternoon  Rudolf,

Did you you add a power supply to the illumination element? I am interested in your final outcome. I have a Bet Win 250 with the same problem. Thank You

Bob

Rudolf

• Born to be wild!!!
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2012, 06:46:21 AM »
The illumination element runs on 80 volts A.C. at 600Hz. I need an inverter that generates 80v A.C. at 600Hz from 5V or 12V D.C., the power needed to activate the light element. The inverter code is EPICENTER E5-652Z. My dashboard's backlight sometimes lights up, and sometimes turns its self off. I'm suspecting the circuitry powering the inverter may be faulty or a loose contact on the circuit board. When the inverter is running i can hear a continuous, low-intensity, high-pitched hum or buzzing. I also found out that there is a solid-brown wire witch comes from the light switch on the right handlebar, the same wire is powering the rear light and the backlight circuitry in the dashboard.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 07:04:34 AM by Rudolf »

Rudolf

• Born to be wild!!!
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2012, 07:06:19 AM »
Here are the two contacts of the illumination element.

bobmoorman

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2012, 04:20:57 PM »
Hello Rudolf, Still working on the problem. I removed the unit and reinstalled and now the lights come on intermittently. I wonder if it might be as simple as a loose wire. The complexity of this is above my pay grade.

Rudolf

• Born to be wild!!!
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2012, 04:24:26 PM »
Maybe a loose soldering on the PCB.
I also found out that in moist and cold weather the backlight comes on but turns itself off shortly.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 04:31:33 PM by Rudolf »

Rudolf

• Born to be wild!!!
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2013, 10:10:38 AM »
Solved somehow: I've bypassed altogether the original backlight and installed two strips of blue lighted LED's inside the dashboard. From the dashboard's PCB I've cut away the brown + wire coming from the light switch and powering the back light and the tail light and connected-it to the LED strips. The - wire from the LED's connected to the green/black wire from the PCB witch is the negative terminal.

impeeza

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2013, 02:47:08 AM »
Hi everyone, it is my firts post  8)

recently i toked appart three dashboards, for that i use a heat gun in low temp, heat all the way of border between the two parts (black  and transparent), after almost cooking my fingers the two parts come away very easy, then using a little extra heat removed all the remaining glue.

the electronics is other jam.  the back-light is called ElectroLuminiscent strip, they uses 80 AC Volts at very high frequencies y the element used to invert the electricity  is the big "ballast" at left these element is so faulty what was stop produced for the factory,  in my case two of ballast was OK the other was faulty, in the two where the ballast is ok the problem was the contact between the board and EL Paper, so i re-solder the connectors and using a pair of tweezers to reinforce the contact between the paper and the wires.

for the one with the bad ballast i could use a pair of EL drivers what was rounding on my electronics elements. but if you haven't an EL driver the use of led strips, or led and fresnell lenses (like the LCDs for electronics) is amazing.

Does anybody know how to fix a dashboard with problems in the clock,  I did double check the Brown/Blue cable and get +12V until board, when i turn on the motorcycle always the clock is 0:00  if i set the clock and turn off the motorcycle and then turn on quickly (less than 30 secs) the clock still set but if i turn off the motorcycle more than 30 sec the clock get reset.  any ideas will be appreciated.

regards.

Rudolf

• Born to be wild!!!
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2013, 06:51:40 AM »
I think that there is a small rechargeable battery soldered on the dashboard's PCB. So it may be faulty or disconnected. The battery keeps the clock running.

Denis Ri

• Kymco B&W 250 (2006)
    • View Profile
    • My Scooters
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2013, 11:45:49 AM »
Hi,
I have the same problem on my B&W 250. Three months ago dashboard backlight just went out. I was check all the connections in relation to the wiring diagram, but the problem remains. Tried with another dashboard, which is 100% OK and works on other B&W without problems. I am now convinced that the failure is on my bike (electrical compounds...) and not on a dashboard. Because of that I decided to finally solve the "mystery", and if I fix it, I will be happy to help anyone who has the same problem.
Greetings!
Denis
Rijeka, Croatia
(2006) Kymco B&W 250

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2014, 08:35:19 PM »
Solved I've bypassed altogether the original backlight and installed two strips of blue lighted LED's inside the dashboard...

Thanks for posting the pictures and your progress / solution.
PaulC

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2014, 08:38:00 PM »
... if I fix it, I will be happy to help anyone who has the same problem.

Did you ever solve it?  I have the same problem on my 2005 GV.  It started when I bought it 3 years ago with 2600 miles.  It would go from bright to very dim.  Now I have 13K and around 12K? 

I looked at it last night and I see that it still works but it is so dim you can barely see it.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 06:47:16 PM by mrbios »
PaulC

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()