Author Topic: Front Brake Squeak/Grind  (Read 5536 times)

Bradders2125

• 2010 Agility 50
    • View Profile
Front Brake Squeak/Grind
« on: April 10, 2011, 12:44:23 PM »
I have recently noticed my front brake making a squeaky grinding noise under braking. I have noticed some rust dots on the disc and a possible groove, running all the way round, present when I run my finger over it. It doesn't sound good to me.

The scoot is only 7-8 months old.

If its just a case of needing new pads, is there any UK based suppliers?

Thanks
Brads

blue

• View Profile
Re: Front Brake Squeak/Grind
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 12:50:58 AM »
check the brake fluied check and see if you are geting brake fluied comeing out when you apply the brakes.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 09:36:15 AM »
check the brake fluied check and see if you are geting brake fluied comeing out when you apply the brakes.

Blue, NHF, but what does brake fluid have to do with grinding noise and why should he check brake fluid for this problem?

If there is a groove present, it could be two things:

- a small piece of sand or solid dirt is stuck between disc pad and disc, it will wear off soon
- worn disc pads, so metal back plate of the pad is grinding against the metal surface of the disc: replace the pads

It cannot be anything else.

---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Bradders2125

• 2010 Agility 50
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 12:20:20 PM »
i'll check fluid and pads soon.

Can you see pad wear without removing them or do they have to be removed.

Thnks Brads

Bradders2125

• 2010 Agility 50
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 12:28:47 PM »
Just checked the scoot.

Fluid level looks fine, covering the inspection hole when steering centred and on main stand.

Without removing the pads they look like they have plenty of life in them, but they look very close to the disc, almost touching.

Thanks
Brads

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 12:36:04 PM »
Blue, NHF, but what does brake fluid have to do with grinding noise and why should he check brake fluid for this problem?

If there is a groove present, it could be two things:

- a small piece of sand or solid dirt is stuck between disc pad and disc, it will wear off soon
- worn disc pads, so metal back plate of the pad is grinding against the metal surface of the disc: replace the pads

It cannot be anything else.

you could be right but at the same time running a scoot dry with little fluid would make your brakes go bad. if you didnot catch it in time.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 03:21:38 PM »
Just checked the scoot.

Fluid level looks fine, covering the inspection hole when steering centred and on main stand.

Without removing the pads they look like they have plenty of life in them, but they look very close to the disc, almost touching.

Thanks
Brads

If there is enough "meat" on the pads other than the back plate, this "grain" stuck between pad and disc will probably wear off in a few dozen/hundreds kilometers. I would not worry about that, I just hope that you have properly identified what is the friction surface of the pad and what is the back (foundation) plate.

The pads are supposed to "almost touch" the disk.

Btw. take a look at this pic, I have changed pads on my P250S few weeks ago when I was changing both tires.
The second pad from the top of the front right disc was worn out completely in the upper right corner and it caused grinding noise when braking, similar to the one you have described.

You say that your scoot is 7-8 months old. My gf's Agility 125 has the same front brake as yours, it has 24.000 kms on it and it still has factory front pads. So, I would say that pads will last longer than the scoot and your willingness to drive it and stick to it. :)

---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Bradders2125

• 2010 Agility 50
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 08:09:52 PM »
From the edges I can see I think they had grooves. I gave it a poke and it didn't feel like metal. I'll try get some pictures tomorrow to help.

But, Typically as soon as I ask for advice it seems to of eased off.

I also got round to the CDI cut today, and OMG. Am I right in thinking its best not to keep the throttle fully pinned now.

Thanks
Brads

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 08:41:48 PM »
good job with the up grades with the brakes that should be warrenty work if the scoot is almost new.and free of charge manly with the brakes its a safty thing.

Bradders2125

• 2010 Agility 50
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 09:04:56 PM »
Could it be small rust dots being slightly raised above the disc, that are getting ground down by the pads.

Brads

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 11:43:25 PM »
could be. clean with brake cleaner see if that helps.

spsntnwga

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2018, 01:43:49 AM »
New to forum because of this issue which I also have. My Kymco dealer said that Kymco has recently starting using more metallic brake pads and tightened their brakes, maybe for safety? So the answer to this is to have your dealer replace the brake pads with less metallic pads, and/or adjusting the brakes to reduce their contact and thus noise.

It's a problem for sure that Kymco needs to address, as users don't feel safe on a vehicle that is squeaking and grinding.

c.stroe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2018, 01:57:31 PM »
I had the same problem. Just spray some WD40 over your disk and around it. Everything will be fine, this way, you are removing the rust and greasing the pieces. The squeek will dissapear.

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2018, 02:03:36 PM »
I think the original pads might be the problem. Mine are squeaking like hell too. I'm going to try and get them off (pins might be seized, though) and try some softer ones, and I'll report back.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2018, 04:25:31 PM »
I have recently noticed my front brake making a squeaky grinding noise under braking. I have noticed some rust dots on the disc and a possible groove, running all the way round, present when I run my finger over it. It doesn't sound good to me.

The scoot is only 7-8 months old.

If its just a case of needing new pads, is there any UK based suppliers?

Thanks
Brads
Might try scrubbing the disc with a green kitchen pan scrubby. The rough green or blue fabric-like thing. I keep a new one in my tool box. Noise or jerking from my LIKE200i brakes.... I firmly grab the disc with the pad and spin the wheel. Works for me.
My brakes are 5 yrs old, with 14000 miles....
.look to be 30% worn.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()