Author Topic: Need KYMCO Like help!!!  (Read 46641 times)

scootermaven

• View Profile
Need KYMCO Like help!!!
« on: April 03, 2011, 09:38:52 PM »
Can anyone tell me specifically, maybe step-by-step, on how the heck to remove the front cover on a KYMCO Like without damaging it?  I want to remove my stalk-type turn signals and wire-up the integrated ones below, but I can't seem to figure out how to get the front cover off to get to the lower signal housings.  I've never had this problem before on other scooters, but this one seems to be more than I am seeing or can tell how to remove.  I've had another "engineer-type" person, someone who is usually very good with these sorts of things, and he couldn't seem to figure it out either.  Heck, I'll pay someone (other than taking it to the dealer) to tell me the correct way to do this.  I'm pretty mechanically inclined and this one has me scratching my freakin' head.  :-[  Perhaps the photos below may ad some perspective.  Anyway, thanks in advance for any instructions any of you may provide.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 12:56:43 AM by scootermaven »
I may be slower uphill, but I'm quicker at the gas pump!

spr0k3t

• View Profile
Re: Need KYMCO Like help!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 02:30:52 AM »
The Like reminds me of the People I had.  Very similar mount points on the tupperware.  To get all of the plastics off the front of the bike I had to remove the floor panels, glove box, lower fender pieces before I could get to the upper portions where the lights were.  There's a ton of stuff to take off before you can get into that section.  If you could find a shop manual on the People, I'm sure it would get you started in the right direction.

I'd take pictures, but I don't have my People anymore.

scootermaven

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 02:47:28 AM »
I've had a People before and had all the front plastics off it, but this one is more than I've been able to figure out.  I looked at a shop manual online and it doesn't help, at all...not very descriptive.  On most KYMCO's I've had, you have to remove the front forks to remove the front fender.  But, on the Like, the front fender is in two pieces and goes around the outside of the shocks, making it easier to remove.  Perhaps they made the fender this way (easier to take off) because you gotta remove it to get the front bottom piece off and after that, maybe somehow the top front panel comes off.  I haven't removed the fender yet, but I have looked up under the front panel (from the fender perspective) and it looks like this may be the way to try next.  Seems like an awful lot of work just to get the front cover off though.  We'll see what happens.  I'm sure there will be others who want to remove the stalk-type signals, so I'll post-up some instructions on how to get the front panel off as soon as I or someone else figures it out.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 02:49:05 AM by scootermaven »

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 07:49:53 AM »
A large probability that there is a screw UNDER red Kymco badge.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

scootermaven

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 01:52:17 PM »
A large probability that there is a screw UNDER red Kymco badge.

Thanks, I'll investigate that possibility.  I actually thought about that and ultimately decided there was NO WAY they'd make you take off an adhesive-backed emblem to get to a screw.  Now, I'm starting to think they may have.  I'll let you know what I find.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 03:12:53 PM »
Thanks, I'll investigate that possibility.  I actually thought about that and ultimately decided there was NO WAY they'd make you take off an adhesive-backed emblem to get to a screw.  Now, I'm starting to think they may have.  I'll let you know what I find.

There is a somewhat similar plastic tab in the bottom front part of the grille on my P250S that has to be removed to access the screw that is holding the front grille.

I had Piaggio Beverly that had similar brand badge that had to be removed to access bolt/screw underneath.

Maybe it is not adhesive, but slide or pop.

---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

scootermaven

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 03:48:28 PM »
No screw is behind the red KYMCO badge.  :-\  I think I'm gonna remove the front fender and try to go at removing the front panel that way.  We'll see...wish me luck!

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 06:13:20 PM »
This is from the Like 50/125 guide but it looks to be the same.  According to this, you undo the screws from the back and one "blot" bolt that I don't where it is.

scootermaven

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 06:48:40 PM »
This is from the Like 50/125 guide but it looks to be the same.  According to this, you undo the screws from the back and one "blot" bolt that I don't where it is.

The bolt that you don't know where it is I suspect is under the center part of the upper cover.  I'm pretty sure the upper cover on this scoot has three separate components that come apart...the center (elongated) upper cover, the main cover (part the "Like" emblem and bottom signals are attached to) and the bottom part (where the really small grille and chrome accent trim is).  Anyway, I just tried to remove the front headset cover unit and I gave up trying to get it off because I didn't want to break any plastic tabs that attach it to the rear headset cover or risk scratching the scoot anywhere.  I was doing this to see if I could get a better view down into the backside of the front cover, maybe to give me some more clues as to how to remove the front cover.  Perhaps a KYMCO dealer service person somewhere will read this topic and lend some expertise to this situation.  The dealer I got the scoot from said they hadn't had to remove a front cover on this scoot yet, but they would look into it.

scootermaven

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 07:15:18 PM »
OKAY, I figured out how to remove the top front cover and I'll post-up some photos a little later.  Now, I'm gonna see if I can get the main (larger) front cover off the scoot.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 08:51:56 PM »
plastic is a pain in my a-- I hate it when I have to remove mine.just becarefull and dont brake any pegs off that may be there. if so you well be looking for duck tap and zip ties.lol

scootermaven

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 10:00:56 PM »
Okay, I'm back to help.  I finally figured the darn thing out.  See some photos below the instructions for reference.  To remove the front cover you must:

1) Remove the top center front cover first (the one with the red KYMCO emblem)...by removing the two screws closest to the steering column on the top backside of leg shield...then walk around to the front of the scooter, turn the handle bars to your right, grab the inside top of the center front cover and pull it straight back.  It should pop off with a swift pull, so be sure you don't drop it.

2) Remove the side skirts under the floorboard on both sides.  The screws to remove these skirts are pretty obvious except for the one screw on each side at the front of the skirt cover just up on the black splash guard.  Once you get all the screws out, you should be able to figure out the rest to remove them.

3) Remove the bolt in the center (just to the right of the turn signal winker) of the main cover, which is under the center top cover.

4) Remove the 10 additional screws (5 each side) on the backside of the leg shield.  Two of the screws on each side will be down on the black front kick board.

5) Now, there's 1 screw on each side way up under the splash guard at the very top way above where the side skirt front screws were.  Remove these two screws.  This will allow you to tilt/flex the main front cover forward enough for the next step.  NOTE: You might want to put a rag or cloth on top of the fender to prevent scratching when tilting the front main cover.

6) Remove the 4 plastic fasteners (2 on each side) on the bottom of the main front shield by pushing in the plunger all the way till it snaps and then pull or push out the fasteners.

7) Unplug the running light wires and remove the cover.

Hope this helps!  Now, I have to figure out how to wire-up the lower turn signals, in which I'll have to somehow fabricate some bulb sockets.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 11:59:25 PM by scootermaven »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()