Author Topic: The starter button is not working on my Kymco 150.  (Read 11532 times)

devimei

• A picture of me during cider pressing.
    • View Profile
The starter button is not working on my Kymco 150.
« on: March 15, 2011, 08:26:24 PM »
Hi Kmyco Owners Forum.  I'm new to the Kymco site, but not to Kymco Scooters.  I have owned this 150 B&W since 2006.  It's been a great scooter, practically trouble free for as long as I have owned it.  Recently, though I have had to charge the battery every time just before I went out for a ride.  I replaced the battery last year, and it has worked fine up to now.  I have to mention that I transport it down to FL each winter for riding down here.  There is always a lot of salt on the roads in NY and PA in January.  I wash it all off when getting into WV - both the scooter and the Van.  OK - recently though, I have had trouble starting the Scoot because I thought the battery was down.  The charger (trickle) was on through lunch and wala the battery was charged.  Still didn't start with the starter button.  So I pulled the helmet box, battery, unplugged the light and removed the box.  I cleaned both of the battery terminals, the starter solenoid and another unit that was connected to the starter system.  Aha, now I've got it and to my disgust, still the starter button didn't work after putting everything back together.  Here's my question - any simple way to get to the starter button without taking all the windshield, the top on the speedo, and all that stuff off first?  Thanks for your response.  D
Ike from "the Pond"

mjcharger

• View Profile
Re: The starter button is not working on my Kymco 150.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 04:23:48 AM »
I took apart my entire electrical system on an Agility 125. My wires were eaten up by rats. Upon inspection I found that all of the wires are attached to the harness pretty tightly. If you want to check the wiring then yea I think you have to take the windshield and body off. If you just want to check the killswitch then read on.

I removed the mirror and unscrewed the killswitch/ starter button assembly via the two screws on the back. The throttle grip hangs loose and the assembly opened up to two pieces. Inside that were another two screws that you could remove to access the kill switch components. Watch out when you start taking apart the killswitch for the springs, BB, and metal contact that completes the circuit. Putting it all back together was a pain because you have to put all the spring loaded parts back together and get the throttle and cable to fit perfectly back in.

Are you sure its the kill switch?  I just spent 2 weeks messing with my scoot because it wasn't sparking. Turns out all it was was a blown CDI. Good luck.

devimei

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 05:46:55 PM »
Hi MJ - Thanks for giving me some advice.  I thought for a while I wouldn't get any response.  I can start it with the kick starter and it runs well.  If the Electronic Ignition Module is bad, I don't think it would start.  I will try the mirror off though and see if I can get the switch apart.  I'll be back on and let you know how things turned out.  Another thought was to get some brake cleaner and spray the switch to clean it up first?  Thanks for the reply - Ike
Ike from "the Pond"

devimei

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 01:50:25 AM »
OK - MJ - I finally got the time to pull the 150 apart.  We were in FL and with company, I didn't have a chance to do it down there, so after we got home I finally had time to do it.  I got all the screws I could see out, but the top (that surrounds the speedometer) just won't let go, and I don't dare force it in fear of breaking something.  What is the secret of getting the top off????  thanks in advance for your response.  Ike
Ike from "the Pond"

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()