Author Topic: Can anyone tell me if their CDI whines/ buzzes when you just turn the key to on?  (Read 1936 times)

mjcharger

• View Profile
When I turn the key to on, I noticed my CDI makes a high pitched whining sound with kind of a buzz sound mixed into it. Can anyone put their ear to their CDI and tell me what they hear?

Thanks everyone.

axy

• View Profile
When I turn the key to on, I noticed my CDI makes a high pitched whining sound with kind of a buzz sound mixed into it. Can anyone put their ear to their CDI and tell me what they hear?

Thanks everyone.

The same.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

mjcharger

• View Profile
Thanks Axy. Glad thats normal

Agent Bob

• View Profile
That high pitched whine is an oscillator that converts your 12v battery voltage to alternating current and applies it to a transformer and rectifier to step it up to a high DC voltage and charge a capacitor. The capacitor discharges into the coil to provide spark. Google CDI for a more deatailed description.

hexnut

I don't hear my CDI, but then I don't stick my ear to it...I do carry an extra CDI in the tool kit for both my scooters. They do go out. My other scooter is a Honda Passport/Fly Scout hybrid.

Cardie

• View Profile
Basically 12v turning into about 30,000 volts, gonna be some sound there :)

hexnut

Basically 12v turning into about 30,000 volts, gonna be some sound there :)

No, thats the coil that does that...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()