Author Topic: Maintenance Record - VIN RFBT 9H154AB210136 - FEB 2011  (Read 31888 times)

Yager200i

• View Profile
Re: Maintenance Record - VIN RFBT 9H154AB210136 - APR 2014
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2014, 11:24:08 PM »
More pictures...

Yager200i

• View Profile
Re: Maintenance Record - VIN RFBT 9H154AB210136 - APR 2014
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2014, 11:25:11 PM »
More pictures...

Yager200i

• View Profile
Maintenance Record - VIN RFBT 9H154AB210136 - MAY 2014
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2014, 04:41:35 PM »
-----
07 May 2014:
My 51st fuel up, I filled up with 87 AKI octane fuel from Costco.

Mileage:   7598.0 miles
Miles Ridden:   170.6 miles
Fuel:   2.527 gallons
Price/Gal:   $4.069
Total Cost:   $10.28
Fuel Mileage:   67.51 MPG
-----

Yager200i

• View Profile
Re: Maintenance Record - VIN RFBT 9H154AB210136 - JUN 2014
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2014, 09:04:20 PM »
-----
07 Jun 2014:
My 52nd fuel up, I filled up with 87 AKI octane fuel from Costco.

Mileage:   7770.8 miles
Miles Ridden:   172.8 miles
Fuel:   2.543 gallons
Price/Gal:   $3.979
Total Cost:   $10.12
Fuel Mileage:   67.95 MPG
-----
09 Jun 2014:
I performed the 7800 mile service today, which was inspecting the brake system. Nothing much to report here, except that the paint continues to peel off little by little from the left-hand brake master cylinder cover, and there was a bit of gunk on the rubber boots where the hand-operated brake levers meet the master cylinder... most likely road grime. I'll order new master cylinder reservoirs, wheel caliper assemblies, brake discs, hand levers and brake lines (basically the entire brake system) at 25,000 miles just to be on the safe side (if they're still available, that is... if not, I'll figure out something), so the paint peeling isn't a big deal.

I went to Kragen and bought a mild degreaser and a vinyl restorer / protector. The degreaser is for cleaning up the tougher grime that gets on the bike that the regular wash liquid (ZipWax cleaner and wax) can't remove. The vinyl restorer / protector is to try to get the seat back to its original black color. It was coated with a thin film of hazy stuff, probably more road grime from riding in the rain.

I cleaned the bike for about 2-1/2 hours, top to bottom, front to back, inside and out. It's cleaner now than it's ever been.

I ordered an 1157 High Power 5630 Chip Cree LED Red Turn Signal Brake Tail Lights Bulb from the same eBay seller that az_slynch recommended here:
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=11926.0

Item number: 231028588922
Order number: 0608-7720-7571-0988
Cost: $22.88 (including sales tax)
-----
10 Jun 2014:
I ordered a new brake light lens. In trying to remove the brake light cover to figure out what the bulbs were, I cracked it.

For future reference, there are 4 screws on the brake light cover. Remove those, and the cover slides straight back. It might take a bit of prying backwards, because there's an o-ring type seal along the edge of the cover, and mine was stuck together. DO NOT twist, lift or push down on the brake light cover... slide it straight back.

Ordered from:
Sloan's Motorcycles
2233 NW Broad St
Murfreesboro, TN 37129
United States
http://www.sloansfastandcheap.com/
800-342-1681

Order Number: 3778428
Lens Comp Tail Light: $35.14
Shipping: $11.75
Total: $46.89
-----
18 Jun 2014:
In preparation for ordering LED turn signals, I ordered a new turn signal flasher module.

NO LOAD LED TURN SIGNAL FLASHER 2 WIRE
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NO-LOAD-LED-TURN-SIGNAL-FLASHER-2-WIRE-Cures-the-issue-of-no-load-LED-lamps-/201097255283?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ed2549973
Price: $15.95
S&H: $3.86
Total: $19.81
Seller: superdealsfastshipping
Seller: Vintage Impressions
Seller: Jeff Molstrom
Receipt ID: 4322-4013-9929-1163

This is a 2 wire flasher module, but it'll work with our 3-wire system because one of the wires on our OEM flasher module is a ground wire, which isn't needed for an electronic flasher module.

According to the seller, this flasher module will work from 0.02 - 10 amps load, flashes 90 times per minute, and the flash rate isn't load dependent.

The brake light (1157 High Power 5630 Chip Cree LED Red Turn Signal Brake Tail Lights Bulb) ordered on 09 Jun 2014 arrived in the mail.
-----
19 Jun 2014:

I purchased two LED bulbs for the front blinkers.

For the record, the OEM front blinkers are marked on the bulb base:
12V10W CD12V RY10W 37R E13 2F6 9A

So it's an RY10W bulb, which has the same BAU15S bulb base as the rear PY21W blinker bulbs.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/s-series-bulbs/led-product/527/
BAU15S-x18-T:18HP-LED 7507 (PY21W) LED Tower bulb - BAU15S-A18-T:Amber
$17.95 each
$2.99 shipping
$38.89 total
Invoice Number: 1403198449-65844

And I ordered a T10 wedge LED for the license plate light.
T10 Wedge 5 Ultra Bright SMD LED Bulb
http://www.ledlight.com/t10-wedge-5-ultra-bright-smt-led-light.aspx

$3.69 each
$6.06 shipping
$9.75 total
Order Number 63586
-----
21 Jun 2014:
I ordered the LED lights for the rear blinkers.

For the record, the OEM rear blinkers are:
PY21W 581 BAU15S 7507 (21W)

http://www.amazon.com/Jtech-BAU15S-Power-Yellow-Signal/dp/B00C16FS1C
Jtech 2x 1156 BAU15S 13W High Power LED Yellow Signal Light

Items:   $19.99
Shipping & handling:   $5.29
Total before tax:   $25.28
Order total:   $25.28
Order Number: 116-7740688-0642642
Ordered from Amazon.com reseller JTECHnow.

I also think I've come up with a way of upgrading the electrical generating capacity of our bikes, while at the same time lowering the power waste that we experience with the existing ground-shunt voltage regulator.

I plan on buying a small (20, 25 or 30 amp) brushless alternator, and mounting it outside where the existing generator stator resides. I'll remove the existing stator, and fasten a disc with magnets in it onto the alternator shaft. The alternator shaft will go through a hole drilled in the case in the exact center of where the existing stator resides.

The magnetic disc affixed to the alternator shaft will be turned by the magnets in the existing flywheel, allowing power to be generated without any physical connection between engine and alternator. This also allows for a small amount of misalignment, and it should act as an additional flywheel weight / vibration dampener, suppressing engine vibration a bit.

Because it will be an alternator with a proper regulator, when current draw is minimal, power drawn from the engine is minimal, as well. At full tilt, the existing generator requires about 1/4 HP. With all LED lights and a proper regulator, I should be able to cut that in half. Not much, but every little bit helps. And the extra generating capacity will allow for heated clothing and other accessories.
-----
21 Jun 2014:

The bulbs for the Kymco Yager GT 200i (incandescent and LED):

Headlight (white):
  Incandescent:  H4 (60/55W)
  LED:  H4 9003 High Power COB LED Light 3200lm High Low HeadLight 40W Bulb Xenon White
  http://www.vleds.com/headlights/led/h4-9003-hb2/h4-mtg2-moto.html
  http://www.vleds.com/shop-bulb-numbers/h-series/h4-9003-hb2/h4-mtg2.html
  NOTE: VLEDs.com says they're not sure if a headlight modulator will burn out their LED driver.

http://www.lifetimeledlights.com/H49003-LED-headlights-_p_59.html
  http://www.lifetimeledlights.com/H4M-motorcycle-headlight_p_76.html
  NOTE: Kisan Tech says my headlight modulator *will* work with a 30 or 40 watt LED headlight.
  NOTE: LifeTimeLEDLights says the headlight modulator will burn out the LED driver.

http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/3600-Lumen-H4-H6M-LED-Headlight-bulb-_p_83.html
  http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Universal-Car-Truck-H4-1800LM-50W-Cree-LED-HeadLight-Head-lamp-H-L-Beam-W/371030888877

Position Lights (white):
  Incandescent:  T10 501 (5W)
  LED:  W5W 501 T10 5W 5 WATT CREE LED (white)
  http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-W5W-501-T10-5W-5-WATT-CREE-LED-Wedge-Car-Light-Bulbs-Xenon-White-6000K-/181212193050

License light (white):
  Incandescent:  T10 501 194? (5W)
  LED:  T10 Wedge 5 Ultra Bright SMD LED Bulb
  http://www.ledlight.com/t10-wedge-5-ultra-bright-smt-led-light.aspx

Brake light (red):
  Incandescent:  P21/5W-12V 380 / 1157 (21/5W)
  LED:  CREE LED Q9 1157 Red
  http://www.ebay.com/itm/1157-High-Power-5630-Chip-Cree-LED-Red-Turn-Signal-Brake-Tail-Lights-Bulbs-/231028588922

Turn signals (orange):
  Incandescent:
  F - 12V10W CD12V RY10W 37R E13 2F6 9A
  R - PY21W 581 BAU15S 7507 (21W)

LED:
  F - AMBER 7507 BAU15s
  http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/tail-brake-turn/filter/Cross_Reference_Number,BAU15S,21,196:
  R -  Jtech 2x 1156 BAU15S 13W High Power LED Yellow Signal Light
  http://www.amazon.com/Jtech-BAU15S-Power-Yellow-Signal/dp/B00C16FS1C
-----
23 Jun 2014:
The NO LOAD LED TURN SIGNAL FLASHER 2 WIRE ordered on 18 Jun 2014 arrived in the mail. So, only 5 days shipping. That's pretty good.
-----
24 Jun 2014:
The Jtech 2x 1156 BAU15S 13W High Power LED Yellow Signal Lights ordered on 21 Jun 2014 for the rear blinkers arrived in the mail.

The T10 Wedge 5 Ultra Bright SMD LED Bulb license plate light ordered on 19 Jun 2014 arrived in the mail.

The new brake light lens ordered on 10 Jun 2014 arrived via FedEx.

So I'm just waiting on the front blinkers now.
-----
27 Jun 2014:
The front blinkers ordered on 19 Jun 2014 arrived in the mail.
-----
29 Jun 2014:
I installed all the LED lights and the new blinker module today. Everything works! Even the Kisan Tech T50W TailBlazer brake light flasher still works.

What I learned:
1) The LED lights I'd ordered for the front blinkers were too long to fit in the front blinker housing, but they fit in the rear blinker housing. Just barely... there's about 1/4 inch between the LED heat sink housing and the clear plastic lens.

2) The LED lights I'd ordered for the rear blinkers fit in the front blinker housing.

{NOTE: I've corrected the posts above regarding front and rear blinker LEDs, to reflect what I learned.}

3) The OEM blinker module is at the front of the bike, just behind and above the radiator, right in the center. It's the only black and round module with wires coming out of it. The rest of them are square.

4) There are 3 wires for the OEM blinker module, gray, green and black.
Green = ground. You don't need this wire if you use an electronic blinker module.
Black = hot. This wire comes from the battery via the keyswitch.
Gray = blinkers. This wire goes to the turn signal switch on the handlebars, which then goes out to the blinkers.

5) The turn signal module has the following printed on it:
CF12ANL-01 Flasher for LED, 12V 0.02A-10A, Made In Taiwan

6) Save yourself the trouble of taking off the rear brake light / blinker housing cover (the red and clear cover over the bulbs) with all the Tupperware on the bike... you'll have to take the Tupperware off the entire back of the bike just to get to the license plate light anyway, and once you've got the Tupperware off, it's *much* easier to change the brake light and turn signal lights.

7) The blinker module comes with a couple of wires just in case you need to jumper from a fuse block to the blinker module. I cut the male spade connector off each and stripped back the wire. I left the OEM plug for the OEM blinker module intact, and just cut off a short section of insulation on the black and gray wires, then soldered the jumper wires to the black and gray wires. Thus, if I want to go back to the OEM blinker module, I can.

8) On those two jumper wires, I scavenged a couple of rubber insulating boots off some small test lead alligator clips I had. The boots fit perfectly over the spade connectors so they can't touch any metal on the bike or get wet.

9) After I'd soldered the jumper wires onto the existing gray and black wires and hooked it up to test that the blinkers still worked, I gave it a couple coats of liquid electrical tape, waited for it to get tacky, then wrapped regular electrical tape, then dabbed a bit more liquid electrical tape to ensure the regular tape never came loose.

10) If you do like I did and solder those jumper leads onto the existing black and gray wires, it helps to unscrew the radiator mounting nuts and swing the radiator to one side a bit. It gives you enough room to get a soldering iron and both hands in there.

11) The electronic blinker module has some double-stick tape on the side of it. I stuck it to the same place where the OEM blinker module used to be.

12) The electronic blinker module doesn't have the "TOC TOC TOC TOC" sound that the OEM blinker module made when you turned on your turn signals. I don't really miss the sound all that much, but some people rely upon it as an indication that they've left their blinker on.

13) The LEDs put in the front blinkers are just a bit brighter than the OEM bulbs. The LEDs put in the back blinkers are ungodly bright, as is the tail/brake light. The brake light and rear blinkers can easily be seen even when the sun is shining directly on it... especially if you've got the Kisan Tech T50W TailBlazer brake light flasher. The license plate light is much brighter than OEM.

14) A Leatherman is invaluable for getting the covers off the front blinker assembly. The front blinker assemblies have got the plastic snap-together tabs *and* screws, *and* you've got to slide it off in one specific direction (the same direction the screws point) after popping those tabs out, to get it off. It's not easy to do.

15) J-B Weld is useless for fixing screw holes in plastic that are worn out. It dries rock hard, but doesn't really bond to the plastic very well, so it just screws out like a screw does when you try to drill a pilot hole through it.

16) For that o-ring type seal around the tail light / brake light / blinker cover (the red and clear cover), I put a very thin film of white grease on the edge of the cover before putting it back in. Hopefully, that'll keep it from sticking to that o-ring type seal next time I want to remove it.
-----
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 05:03:19 AM by Yager200i »

Yager200i

• View Profile
Re: Maintenance Record - VIN RFBT 9H154AB210136 - JUL 2014
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2014, 11:29:41 PM »
-----
01 Jul 2014:
My 53rd fuel up, I filled up with 87 AKI octane fuel from Costco.

Mileage:   7953.3 miles
Miles Ridden:   182.5 miles
Fuel:   2.534 gallons
Price/Gal:   $3.979
Total Cost:   $10.08
Fuel Mileage:   72.02 MPG

My best fuel mileage ever! Somewhat strange, considering that I hit the last bar on the fuel gauge at only 150.1 miles. When it dipped to that last bar, I was thinking to myself, "Oh great, I've only got about 15 miles before I have to fill up. Another tankful that didn't get very good mileage."... but it was a warm day and I wasn't doing anything, so I went for a joyride to test a few things out.

I found that this scooter must have phenomenal fuel mileage if you take long trips (so the engine is warmed up, I think mine runs rich when it's cold, so the many short trips (~8 minutes) I take to go back and forth to work must be affecting the fuel economy) on warm days, and keep the engine speed below 6000 RPM, because I rode for 32.4 miles before that last bar on the fuel gauge went away. I ended up putting just about the same amount of fuel in as last fillup (2.543 gallons on 07 Jun, 2.534 gallons this time).

So I think once I swap in taller rear gears, my fuel mileage should increase a good bit. The exhaust heat recovery unit should bump it up a good bit more. I'm trying to design it so it all fits in the muffler, so it all looks pretty much stock.

I'm researching the Dr. Pulley HiT clutch as a swap-in. The part for the Yager GT 200i is the Dr. Pulley HiT Clutch 201502+Bell 130R. But I'm going to set mine so it's got an engagement speed of about 2750 RPM, to make low speed riding more controllable. With the 4000 to 5000 RPM engagement speed of the OEM clutch, at speeds below 20 MPH I have to get on and off the throttle to regulate speed, rather than holding one set RPM. The takeoff is almost too harsh with the OEM clutch... today I lifted the front wheel for a split second on a hard takeoff from a stoplight to get ahead of the impatient driver of a large pickup truck who got mad because I lane-split to the front. I was through the intersection before he even fully entered it.
-----
08 Jul 2014:
I received the final part I'd ordered from KymcoPartsOnline.com on 01 Oct 2013, a cooling fan motor. That makes my transaction with them complete after 281 days.
-----
10 Jul 2014:
I performed the 8000 mile service on the bike today, which consisted of:
Replace engine oil and filter
Clean engine oil filter screen
Replace gear oil
Inspect suspension
Inspect tires
Replace air cleaner
Inspect drive belt / variator
Tighten nuts / bolts
Clean crankcase breather
Inspect clutch shoe wear

Engine oil - Royal Purple 15W-40 Fully Synthetic Motor Oil
Gear Oil - Royal Purple MaxGear With Synerlec 75W-140
Oil Filter - HighFlo HF562

So the treatment with LiquiMoly Ceratec is finished, now I'll be treating the oil with ZDDP to protect the cam and lifters.

The old engine oil came out a light brown, instead of the very dark brown it usually comes out as. There were no metal flakes of any size in the oil. I checked with a bright light as I slowly poured the oil into the waste oil container, and there was no metal at all. Nor was there any in the gear oil.

I added a small amount of STP Oil treatment with ZDDP to the engine oil. The result is that the lifters are so quiet that the click of the fuel injector is now louder in a mechanic's stethoscope. It's very thick stuff, so I only added a little (an amount approximately equivalent to four tablespoons), but apparently that's all that was needed.

And I added an ounce of Startron Enzyme Fuel Treatment to the gas tank. It apparently counteracts the effects of ethanol in the fuel. I want to see if it'll clean up the fuel injector to get rid of the slightly lumpy idle when the engine is cold.

The suspension is fine, no problems whatsoever.

The tires are really starting to show wear, and both the front and back have cupping almost all the way over to the edge of the tread. They'll be changed at 10,000 miles.

The air cleaner was still clean, it only had 2500 miles on it, but I changed it anyway. I might start changing them every 4000 miles, instead. We'll see how the new one looks in 2500 miles.

The drive belt is starting to show signs of wear, as well. It's not much thinner than new, but the edge of the nubs are fully rounded now. It'll be changed at 10,000 miles, as well. When I buy the next replacement belt, it'll be a Kevlar reinforced belt.

I went through the whole bike and checked all the nuts and bolts for tightness. Nothing was out of sorts here.

The crankcase breather is doing its job. It's much easier to keep it clean now that the collection bottle has been put on the drain tube so that gunk can't back up in the tube. I drained a total of 12 cc of gunk out of it since it's been installed. When I pulled the crankcase breather tube and started the engine, no white smoke came out, and air moved, so my rings are in good shape, and the crankcase breather is working properly.

The clutch shoes aren't showing much wear... probably because the clutch had grease on it for a long time that was saving the shoes from wearing much (but also causing high clutch engagement RPMs). I'm thinking that might not be such a bad thing, if I could find a rheopectic grease that thickens when the clutch shoes hit it, thus locking the shoes solid. It doesn't matter much anyway, as the clutch will be changed out for a Dr. Pulley HiT clutch as soon as I can find a vendor selling the one that fits our scooter (Dr. Pulley HiT Clutch 201502+Bell 130R).
-----
20 Jul 2014:
My 54th fuel up, I filled up with 87 AKI octane fuel from Costco.

Mileage:   8135.9 miles
Miles Ridden:   182.6 miles
Fuel:   2.570 gallons
Price/Gal:   $3.839
Total Cost:   $9.87
Fuel Mileage:   71.05 MPG

I added an ounce of Startron Enzyme Fuel Treatment to the gas tank. I'm not sure if it's simply because the weather has been warmer around here lately, or if the Startron is working, but the bike now starts again with just a touch of the starter button, and the idle is much smoother.
-----
21 Jul 2014:
Today I took apart the clutch and variator. I cleaned everything, then took fine-grit emory cloth to the clutch shoes to remove a bit of glazing on them, and scrubbed the clutch bell where the shoes engage, then roughened it up a bit with some rough-grit emory cloth.

For the variator, I put emory cloth on the garage floor, held it in place, then scrubbed the variator pulley faces against it (rotating the pulley sheaves every minute or so, to make the metal removal as flat and even as possible) until I'd removed about .25mm off the inside faces of each pulley sheave. It took a long time, and my arms are tired.

I did this because during my 10 Jul 2014 inspection, I noticed that my belt isn't riding all the way up on the variator pulley... there's a tiny strip along the outside diameter of the variator pulley sheaves that you can tell there's been no belt wear on (it's not shined like the rest of the pulley sheave face). So I was hoping to get the pulley sheaves to push closer together and push the belt up a bit higher.

I found a new grease that's advertised for high speed, high temperature lubrication requirements. They say it won't melt or fling off up to 525 F, and it's very thick, very viscous, like a thick paste. I applied a very light coat of it on the slider weights, inside the slider weight tracks, on the variator ramp where the slider weights travel, inside and outside the variator boss, on the engine and rear gearset shafts, and inside the hole where the shaft goes through the clutch.

I buttoned everything up and took it out for a test ride. The clutch at first slipped quite a bit more... engine speed was 5000 RPM before it'd even start pulling. After 20 miles or so, the clutch shoes started bedding in, and by the end, it was starting to engage at about 3800 RPM, and was pulling hard by 4500 RPM. And there's no whistle or hard engagement now... it's buttery smooth.

I noticed that at highway speeds, my engine RPMs are about 200 RPM lower now. So the next time I have it apart, I'll take a bit more off the variator sheave faces to see if it'll drop the engine RPM even more.
-----
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 01:33:13 AM by Yager200i »

Yager200i

• View Profile
Re: Maintenance Record - VIN RFBT 9H154AB210136 - AUG 2014
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2014, 11:21:29 PM »
-----
11 Aug 2014:
My 55th fuel up, I filled up with 87 AKI octane fuel from Costco.

Mileage: 8321.9 miles
Miles Ridden:   186.0 miles
Fuel:   2.545 gallons
Price/Gal:   $3.679
Total Cost:   $9.36
Fuel Mileage:   73.08 MPG

I added an ounce of Startron Enzyme Fuel Treatment to the gas tank. Yet again the bike hits an all-time fuel mileage high. I can't say for sure, but that Startron Enzyme Fuel Treatment must be cleaning up the fuel injector or otherwise having a beneficial effect. Either that, or the tiny amount I shaved off the variator sheaves is what did it, or the warmer weather... I've been charting fuel mileage with average temperature over the period for each tank, there's a definite correlation. Either way, it's a step in the right direction.

I just passed $500 in total fuel costs since the bike was new.
-----
17 Aug 2014:
I ordered wheel rim reflective tape to increase nighttime conspicuity. This is supposedly the brightest tape out there.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190998088624

I ordered yellow for the 13" front rim, and red for the 12" rear rim. I wanted to order white, but I think California law dictates that all reflectors be amber or yellow for front and red for rear. The various statutes don't make it really clear.
-----
18 Aug 2014:
I paid the Geico insurance for the scooter for the period 01 Oct 2014 to 01 Oct 2015.
Cost: $78.75
Confirmation Number: 20BA-IFF03B0-328330
-----
20 Aug 2014:
I received in the mail the wheel rim reflective tape. I'll apply it tomorrow and take some pictures.
-----
22 Aug 2014:
I applied the wheel rim reflective tape. Unfortunately, the wimpy flash on my camera and the camera automatically damping down ultra-bright parts of the picture doesn't do the reflection from the tape justice.

When I was in the garage, I closed the garage door and shut off all the lights, then took the dark pictures. The reflection is much brighter than it appears in the picture.

Then I rolled out into the parking lot to take the bright pictures. The yellow tape on the front wheel is much brighter than the red tape, but that may be due to fact that the rear wheel is shaded by the muffler on one side and the air filter housing on the other.

See attached pictures.
-----
24 Aug 2014:
In preparation for converting FrankenYager to a rolling experimental platform, I'm upgrading some of the components.

I found a manufacturer who'll fabricate roller lifters to replace the sliding lifters in our scooters.

Baisley Hi-Performance
www.baisley.com
5511 N. Interstate Ave.
Portland, OR 97217
(503) 289-1251

I ordered two OEM lifters for the fabricator to use as templates for the new roller lifters, along with the rocker shafts. It's not a certainty that they can make a working roller lifter for this bike yet, they've got to get a look at the OEM lifters first... but either way is good. If they can, this'll make the engine a bit quieter and it should last longer. If they can't, I've got spares for a rebuild in the future.

I also ordered a new O2 sensor... I'm going to change it out to see if the rich exhaust smell when the bike is cold is due to a faulty O2 sensor... hopefully that's the problem, as that fix will increase my fuel mileage a bit.

Valve rocker arms (Part number 14431-KKC1-900) $76.50 for two.

Rocker arm shaft (Part number 14450-KEBE-900, aka 14450-KBE-9000) $11.74

Rocker arm shaft (Part number 14461-KEBE-900) $7.66

O2 Sensor (Part number 39450-LEA6-800) $106.44

Subtotal: $202.34 at kymcopartsmonster.com
Shipping: $21.63
Total: $223.97
Order Number: 33903
-----
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 07:49:03 AM by Yager200i »

Yager200i

• View Profile
Maintenance Record - VIN RFBT 9H154AB210136 - AUG 2014
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2014, 06:55:11 PM »
More pictures.

Yager200i

• View Profile
Maintenance Record - VIN RFBT 9H154AB210136 - SEP 2014
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2014, 04:07:25 PM »
-----
01 Sep 2014:
I performed the 8400 mile service, which is inspecting the brake system. Nothing much to report here. I plan on ordering new brake fluid reservoir covers, or finding some paint that can stand up to brake fluid... now the paint's starting to peel a bit on the right-hand brake fluid reservoir cover, too.
-----
05 Sep 2014:
I received the valve rocker arms, rocker arm shafts and O2 sensor I ordered from KymcoPartsMonster.com. I'll ship the rocker arms and rocker arm shafts to Baisley Hi-Performance first chance I get.
-----
07 Sep 2014:
My 56th fuel up, I filled up with 87 AKI octane fuel from Costco.

Mileage: 8512.5 miles
Miles Ridden:   190.6 miles
Fuel:   2.555 gallons
Price/Gal:   $3.579
Total Cost:   $9.14
Fuel Mileage:   74.60 MPG

Yet again I hit a new all-time high on fuel mileage. No idea why, it's been relatively cool here recently, and usually my fuel mileage goes down when the temperature is low.

I added an ounce of Startron Enzyme Fuel Treatment to the gas tank.

I performed the 8500 mile service as soon as I got home, which is inspecting the steering head bearing. It involves twisting, prying and lifting on the front end and handlebars to see if it sticks, wobbles or can move where it's not supposed to. Nothing to report here, although when I have the Tupperware off for retrofitting the experimental devices to the engine, I'll take the steering head bearing out, do a visual inspection, and grease it.

I replaced the O2 sensor and took the bike out for a 30 mile test ride. Other than it having a bit more power, nothing changed... now I have to be extremely careful not to hit the rev limiter... I pegged the tachometer three times on the test ride. It resets after 30 seconds or so of less-than-rev-limiter riding, but it's disconcerting when it happens to see the tach pegged at 10,000 RPM. But pulling up those long hills on Interstate 280 near Half Moon Bay at 70 MPH was fun... the engine's got more in it if I can figure out a way to gear it a bit taller and get it nearer its torque peak.

So the old O2 sensor is still working, the heater still works, etc., so I cleaned it up and stored it in my spare parts box.

The rough idle persisted, so the O2 sensor wasn't the culprit. In doing research, I found it may be the Idle Air Bypass Valve that is sticky, so I cleaned it with some throttle cleaner I bought at Kragen that's supposed to be safe to use in cleaning throttle plates, O2 sensors, fuel injectors and air bypass valves. And I plugged in my Kymco Diagnostic Tool to be sure everything was kosher. Aside from a Diagnostic Trouble Code of 13 (engine overspeed), there were no errors.

I noticed that the engine Idle Speed Setpoint was at 1716 RPM instead of 1660 (factory setpoint), so I reset the APC (Air Per Cycle) valve in the Kymco Diagnostic Tool settings, and that dropped the idle speed back to its factory setpoint. I've got to let the engine cool before I know if the changes fixed the cold rough idle. If not, I'll be changing out the spark coil, spark plug, spark plug wire, and the fuel injector next. I think I'll go with a higher-power spark coil. If none of that works, I'll order a new idle air bypass valve. It can't be a vacuum leak, as it only happens when the engine is cold... when it's warmed up, it idles smooth as silk.
-----
08 Sep 2014:
In chasing down this lumpy cold idle gremlin, I was watching YouTube about motorcycles with lumpy cold idle. One of the guys said it was due to his valves being misadjusted. So I checked the valve clearance, the secondary air injection control valve, the spark plug and the timing chain today.

Nothing out of the ordinary to report.

I cleaned the spark plug, using an emory board to shine up the J-hook, just in case the spark was having trouble jumping the gap due to carbon buildup on its landing zone. Then I made sure it was gapped to 0.9 mm. I put a dab of copper antiseize on the threads, and torqued it to 10 ft-lb. I know the manual says 6.5 ft-lb, but that seems awfully loose... it barely crushes the crush washer at that torque. The good news is I started the spark plug threads 180 degrees from where it'd been put in last time, so the J-hook isn't shrouding the spark from the intake valve anymore, the plug's open gap is pointing almost directly at the intake valve now. No indexing washers needed.

The secondary air injection control valve was a bit carboned, but not bad. I cleaned it up and put it back together.

The valves were at exactly 0.09 mm, just as I'd set them. I know they're supposed to be set to 0.1 mm, but that ever-so-slightly tighter valve clearance gives me just a tad more valve lift, which gives the engine a tiny boost in power, without unduly risking slamming the valves into the piston.

The timing chain and chain tensioner look practically new. No wear, no problems.

I also went through and tightened all the clamps on the intake manifold and the various tubes, just to be sure there wasn't a leak on one of them.

Unfortunately, the problem persists.
-----
09 Sep 2014:
I tore into the bike pretty deeply today. I took apart the entire intake from the air filter to the engine, cleaned up all the parts, ensured everything was in good condition, and put it back together. I did the same for the fuel system from the fuel hose to the fuel injector.

I found some very, very fine grit covering everything from the fuel hose, the fuel injector, the intake, etc. It was pretty apparent it came in via the fuel, you could see in the throttle body where it'd been sprayed on the walls by the fuel injector. So a bad batch of gas is the culprit. That means I'll have to replace the fuel injector, as it's partially clogged with the stuff and no amount of cleaning will fix that.

And I'll have to find better fuel filters. The ones I'm using are Wix 33031 / Napa 3031 filters, with a metal canister body and paper filter element. They have a 12 micron filter rating. So the fine grit getting through the fuel filter was finer than 12 micron. But it clumped up everywhere.

I pulled the old fuel filter out and put a new one in. It's getting near to the time when it needs to be changed anyway. It was put in at 6000 miles, and is due for a change at 9000 miles. It'll get swapped for a more efficient filter as soon as I find one. The old fuel filter, when looking down the tube, had the grit built up on its filter media, so Costco must have given me quite a large dose of the gunk.

I stripped every part down as far as it'd go... the fuel injector actually comes completely apart. But I nicked the O-ring when I was taking it apart (it was really stuck together), and that tiny, tiny nick caused it to leak fuel when I'd gotten it all back together. So I went to Kragen and got a Viton O-ring of the same size and put it in. Leak fixed, problem solved.

I found the Throttle Position Sensor can actually be pivoted back and forth to adjust the sensed throttle position. I got the bright idea that if I slid it all the way toward the forward position, the ECU would think the butterfly valve wasn't fully open, even though it would be, and hence it'd feed the engine less fuel, improving fuel economy.

It works, but there's a side effect. At a certain RPM, the engine just cuts out. The closer you are to adjusting the TPS so it reads 100% when the throttle is 100% open, the lower that RPM will be right off of idle. I started with the TPS all the way forward. The Kymco Diagnostic Tool showed the throttle position sensor as reporting the throttle only open 91%.

"A 9% fuel savings!", I think to myself, "Great!". I buttoned it up and took it for a test ride, whereupon I discovered the flaw in my brilliant plan. The engine was cutting out at around 4500 RPM, which is right where the RPMs are when I'm taking off from a stop with light throttle.

Apparently the ECU switches between "open throttle" and "closed throttle" modes, and there can be no gap in throttle position between the two, or the ECU just shuts off the fuel injector in that gap.

So, I went back home, and adjusted the TPS so it was showing 96% open when the throttle was actually 100% open. Another test ride revealed the engine would cut out if I just barely cracked the throttle. I kind of like it like that... it allows me to coast in traffic without using fuel, and the engine cuts out at 3000 RPM, an RPM that isn't even usable given that the clutch doesn't start engaging until 4500 RPM. Cracking it just a slight bit more makes the engine jump to 4500 RPM.

But, knowing that it ought to be seamless between idle and open throttle, I carefully adjusted the TPS position until it was exactly correlated with the actual throttle position, then I did the TPS reset procedure. Just can't win. Heh.

See attached pictures.
-----
10 Sep 2014:
I went out to the garage last night to go to work, started the bike, and it only did the lumpy idle thing for about 10 seconds before it smoothed out. I thought, "Great, it's improved, but I'll still need to change out the fuel injector."

This morning, when the engine was at 56 degrees because it'd been sitting in the parking garage at work all night, when I fired it up, it only gave two slight "rum-dum-rum-dum" lumpy idle things, then smoothed right out. No rich exhaust smell, either.

EFI is a strange beast. Apparently it's relearning the sensors and setting things up so it runs well.

So I may not have to replace the fuel injector after all... time will tell.
-----
13 Sep 2014:
I performed the 8600 mile service on the bike today, which consisted of:
Replace gear oil

Engine oil - Royal Purple 15W-40 Fully Synthetic Motor Oil

There were no metal flakes of any size in the oil. Nor was there any in the gear oil.

I added a small amount of STP Oil treatment with ZDDP to the engine oil.
-----
16 Sep 2014:
I ordered 2 new air filters (Part Number: 1721A-KKC3-900) from KymcoPartsMonster.com.
Each: $17.10
Subtotal: $34.20
Tax: $0.00
Shipping: $20.62
Order Total: $54.82
Order number: 33957

According to my tally, I *should* have 4 OEM air filters on the parts shelf... but my wife, being ever-so-efficient, decided to move everything in the garage around, and now the filters have gone missing. Heh.
-----
17 Sep 2014:
I want to try something new for air filtering, so I went to Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Store and purchased a 2 inch thick, 2 foot by 2 foot square of synthetic woven pillow stuffing made of polyester, called NuFoam... it's almost like an open-cell foam. The stuff is sort of melted together so it can't come apart, and it'll make a great oiled pre-filter when it's compressed to 1 inch thick. I'll build a semi-circular holder from perforated metal for it that'll bolt in front of the existing filter. For the oil, I'm thinking of using Motor Honey oil or other similar thick oil substance... it's very thick and tacky, and thus should catch and hold dust.

For the built-in filter, while I've got the two OEM filters on the way, I also want to try out an oiled filter... the gear oil vent is putting oil vapor into the air cleaner housing anyway, which eventually leads to the air filter having oil on it anyway, so why not just have an oiled filter that'll catch more dirt and allow easier breathing? At least then the oil vapor coming from the gear oil vent will keep the air filter oiled and working well, whereas now it just tends to plug the paper filter element. And an oiled filter is cleanable and reusable, so it'll save money in the long term.

Here's what I purchased:
http://www.e-dnafilters.com/Product.asp?ID=1550
DNA Filter P-KY1SC09-01

You'll note it says it's for the Dink 125i, but the Dink 125i and the Yager GT 200i share the same air filter part number.
I also ordered the DNA Filter Service Kit (the filter cleaning solution and filter oil).

Total: $112.90
Order Number: 2285.224254648
Tracking Number: RE334476171GR

So that's approximately equivalent to the cost of 6 OEM filters.

An alternative oiled air filter is the BMC FM700/04.
http://www.bmcairfilters.com/filtri-moto-standard/fm700-04_d1133_10.aspx
$59.00 from speedmob.com
It's been confirmed by BMC that it fits the Yager GT 200i, as well.
I may order this one, as well, to compare the two.
-----
20 Sep 2014:
Curiosity got the better of me today, so while I had the Met-In Box off for measuring free space for a new 5 micron fuel filter (my current fuel filter is 12 micron), I popped the little rubber plug out to access the adjusting screw on the intake plenum, as discussed here:
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=12666.0

I turned it all the way in, just so I knew how far to turn it back out when I was done playing. It was exactly two turns out.

Turning it all the way in gives that rough, stumbling idle *all* *the* *time*... so that gave me a clue that this might be the last little bit that needed cleaning to completely smooth out the idle. I'd already cleaned the fuel line, fuel injector, intake plenum and put a new 12 micron fuel filter on previously.

So, I screwed the screw all the way out while the bike was idling, and removed the screw. It's a needle screw, obviously for adjusting the idle fuel:air mixture... even though we've got an Idle Air Bypass Valve, I guess this is the fine adjustment.

I sprayed some throttle cleaner into the hole, cleaned the needle, then popped the upstream hose off the Idle Air Bypass Valve and sprayed a bit of throttle cleaner through it as the bike idled. It died a couple times, but started right back up.

Taking the engine's response from when I'd turned the needle screw in all the way, I gauged where the rough idle started, then backed it out until it was idling smoothly. It's now only 1 turn out, instead of 2, and the idle is smooth as butter.

I'll adjust as necessary in the future if I find it's necessary.
-----
21 Sep 2014:
My 57th fuel up, I filled up with 87 AKI octane fuel from Costco.

Mileage: 8689.8 miles
Miles Ridden:   177.3 miles
Fuel:   2.548 gallons
Price/Gal:   $3.499
Total Cost:   $8.92
Fuel Mileage:   69.584 MPG

Not bad, considering that I had the fuel leak from the nicked fuel injector o-ring, and I also lost a bit when I changed out the fuel filter.
-----
22 Sep 2014:
I finally got around to mailing the OEM rocker arms and rocker arm shafts to Baisley Hi-Performance today. I'd put them up on my parts shelf, and every time I went to the garage, I reminded myself to mail them, but never got around to it.

Well, I was tweaking that little adjustment screw on the intake and spraying some more throttle cleaner through there and through the Idle Bypass Valve, when I spied the package on the shelf, and thought, "Yeah, I'd better get that mailed out before they forget who I am." Heh.

For the record, that little adjustment screw under the rubber cap on the intake plenum is now three turns out. The cold idle is almost completely "lump" free. I suspect there's still a bit of gunk somewhere that needs to be cleaned out. I'll get the opportunity to tear it all apart and do a deep cleaning when I install the experimental components on the engine.
-----
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 10:20:43 PM by Yager200i »

Yager200i

• View Profile
Re: Maintenance Record - VIN RFBT 9H154AB210136 - FEB 2011
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2014, 03:47:11 AM »
-----
29 Sep 2014:
I ordered a Fitch Fuel Catalyst.
http://www.fitchcatalyst.com/

It's a metal alloy that apparently acts as a catalyst to "unwind" longer-chain hydrocarbons, thereby allowing them to more easily burn in the combustion chamber, rather than being thrown out the tailpipe unburned or only partially burned.

I found a military document:
http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA429975
where they'd tested the Fitch Fuel Catalyst and found it actually worked, so I'm going to try it out.

{NOTE: The PDF file from the link above has a lot of "INDUSTRIAL PROPRIETARY" labeled blacked-out text. You can copy/paste the blacked out section into Notepad or similar to read the hidden text, though.}

My "technobabble explanation", the best I can come up with from reading the military document, is that it apparently catalyses dehydrogenation followed by reduction of some oxidized molecules. Essentially, hydrogen ions are being converted to bonded hydrogen atoms, thereby buffering fuel acidity. The hydrogen is transferred to the protons in the aliphatic regions of the spectrum along with the acidic protons in the aromatic and olefinic regions. This allows fuel to be stored and remain fresh for longer periods, and increases the number of aromatic compounds in the fuel, which should give a boost in octane and fuel mileage. Heh. And if you fully understand that, you're one step ahead of me.

It's also apparently EPA and CARB certified... and been on the market for 10+ years. If it didn't do as it claimed, the EPA and CARB would have shut them down long ago and not certified the product.

Here's the CARB certification report:
http://www.fitchfuelcatalyst.com/docs/perf_gas_ChevyFTPA75.pdf
Baseline MPG: 13.121
1000 mile MPG: 17.650

After 1000 miles of running the Fitch Fuel Catalyst for the CARB certification report:
THC: -8.11%
CO: -25.47%
NOx: -23.96%
CO2: -25.90%
MPG: +34.517186%

I got one that's designed for larger motorcycles instead of scooters, the F5T.
http://www.fitchcatalyst.com/details.php?prodId=44&category=30
I'm going to take out the fuel pump, clean the tank, then drop the FFC in before I button it all up again.

Order Number: 1378588
Cost: $51.25
shipping: $13.60
Total: $64.85

So I'll test it and see if it gives any improvement. Gotta get FrankenYager smog tested as a baseline first.

I also received in the mail the DNA air filter I'd ordered on 17 Sep 2014. Pretty good shipping time, considering it came all the way from Greece via Hellenic Post... quicker delivery than the OEM filters from KymcoPartsMonster, which I'd ordered a day earlier and still haven't received. The filter came with a mini-magazine describing their entire production process... they sure go to a lot of trouble to make things right, which I guess is why they've got an advanced filter for a scooter like ours, why it fit perfectly, and why it works so well. I installed the DNA filter later in the day since I had to take the oldest kid to swim class after school.

The air filter has got a flexible frame, with a groove that kind of snaps onto the little ridge in the filter box, then you tighten the six provided screws until the spacer bushings on the screws bottom out. I put the six OEM screws in my toolbox to save just in case I needed them in the future. I also saved the dirty filter... I'm going to be buying a manometer to measure intake vacuum with a clean OEM, dirty OEM and clean and dirty DNA filter. This is in preparation for buying a filter minder switch that'll automatically blink an LED to tell me when differential pressure across the filter is getting too high and the filter needs to be changed (OEM) or cleaned (DNA Filter).

Out of the box, the DNA filter is pre-oiled, but only lightly. Using the DNA Filter Service Kit, I put a light bead of oil on each ridge of the filter. It spread pretty quickly, until the filter was a nice, uniform, deep red. None ran out, I just wanted to be sure I had *enough*. Any excess would get pulled into the engine anyway, so you can't really mess up by putting too much.

It's kind of a pain to get the filter's groove to snap onto that little ridge in the filter box, but that was my fault. I put white grease in the slot of the filter, just to be absolutely sure no air could be pulled around the edge, and that grease didn't want to push out of the way for anything. But once the filter groove is on that ridge, you can hear the grease give a kind of squish noise, and you know the ridge is bottomed in the filter's groove.

It's a very nicely built filter, came with all the documentation on how to clean and oil it, and it fit perfectly.

Anyway, I started up... the bike idles nicely, no lumpy idle now, and it sounds more 'throaty' with the new filter. I let it warm up for about 30 seconds like I always do, then twisted the throttle my usual amount to get 4000 RPM for a soft launch as I always do when the engine's not fully warmed up... and the engine went to 5000 RPM.

I backed off the throttle, ran at 4000 RPM out to the road with the throttle just barely cracked, took it nice and easy until I hit El Camino Real, then to the 380/280 interchange onramp near Tan Foran. Once on the ramp, with the engine now fully warmed up, I did an acceleration test... I hit 65 MPH about 60 feet before I normally do, and the bike ran to 75 MPH at only 3/4 throttle. Once out on Highway 101 South, it clipped right along with less throttle than I normally give it, but I ran into heavy traffic, so my high speed run was cut short. I turned around at the Millbrae exit and headed up Highway 101 North back toward home.

There's a long downslope right before I turn into our parking lot. What I usually do is cut off the engine and let it coast in, while opening the throttle fully to cool the engine internally a bit, to prevent heat soak. Usually, it'll continue down the slope with the engine slowly climbing in RPM... the engine braking means I don't have to use my brakes much to be at the right speed to turn into our parking lot and coast to our garage at 8 MPH.

Today, when I did the same, the engine started slowing down quite a bit, you could tell there was more engine braking. I had to close the throttle early to keep my speed up so I could coast into our parking lot.

All in all, the new filter gives a bit of a boost in power, which means it's flowing more air, but it seems to have more of an effect at lower engine speeds than at higher... it's possible that the air flow is limited elsewhere at higher engine speeds... my bet would be that tiny tube going into the airbox is the limiting point. When I get my prefilter finished, I'll look into creating a larger intake tube going into the airbox.

If the DNA filter also cleans the intake air more effectively, as DNA Filters claims, then I'd say it's well worth it. Once I get my prefilter done, the intake air should effectively be perfectly clean. And the design of the prefilter will give it so much surface area that there shouldn't be much, if any, additional restriction.
-----
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 03:57:48 AM by Yager200i »

Yager200i

• View Profile
Re: Maintenance Record - VIN RFBT 9H154AB210136 - SEP 2014
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2014, 03:48:13 AM »
More pictures...

Yager200i

• View Profile
Re: Maintenance Record - VIN RFBT 9H154AB210136 - SEP 2014
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2014, 03:49:18 AM »
More pictures...

Yager200i

• View Profile
Maintenance Record - VIN RFBT 9H154AB210136 - OCT 2014
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2014, 08:21:35 PM »
-----
03 Oct 2014:
I received the two OEM air filters I'd ordered on 16 Sep 2014 from KymcoPartsMonster.com.

Now, whenever I have to clean the DNA oiled air filter, I've got some OEM paper filters I can slap in there if I need to ride right away while the DNA oiled filter is either drying out after being washed, or waiting for the applied oil to be dispersed throughout the filter material.
-----
08 Oct 2014:
I received the Fitch Fuel Catalyst I'd ordered on 29 Sep 2014. I'll put it in the fuel tank on the next fuel up.

It looks like the fuel injector has been fully cleaned by my taking it apart and cleaning it, combined with running the Startron Enzyme Fuel Treatment in each tank. My fuel mileage appears to have dropped again to around 65 MPG or so, judging by the gas gauge level and current mileage. The next fill-up will tell. Makes me wonder why the engine can't be leaned out a bit for better fuel mileage, as I noticed no loss of power or other effects when it was running leaner. It may be the fuel injector is worn, and thus injecting too much fuel. I'll order a new one and install it to verify.

The fuel mileage likely would have dropped anyway, we finally finished the Indian Summer here, where we had temperatures in the 70s even at night. Now temperatures are back down in the 50s at night (when the scooter is ridden the most). The scooter gets worse fuel mileage when it's cold. So the warm air intake I'll be building should help fuel mileage.
-----
09 Oct 2014:
I ordered a Magnetizer Motorcycle fuel line magnet. I'm not sure if they work or not, but their customer testimonials and other info on their site, along with some research papers I found on the subject is compelling enough that I'm going to give it a try. If it works, I'll keep it on, if not, it's easy to remove.

ORDER NUM:   8
ORDER DATE:   October 10, 2014 00:08
TRANSACTION:   MF0027806956 (Paid)

Magnetizer® Motorcycle Engine Energizer "MFE"
SUBTOTAL   $90.00
SHIPPING   $11.85
TOTAL   $101.85
-----
10 Oct 2014:
I went to Gotelli Speed Shop around the corner in search of Royal Purple 10W-40 with Synerlec. They didn't have it in stock, but another store did and my shop ordered it inter-store from them, so I picked up 4 quarts later in the afternoon. This Synerlec stuff is supposed to be the best stuff out there, so I'm going to give it a try on the next oil change.

I also did a bit of internet searching, and found that Total Seal makes gapless rings that will fit our pistons. So at some point in the future, I'll be installing gapless rings as part of improving the engine to handle the rigors of water mist injection and lean burn. That'll be the same time I have Swain Tech Coatings put ceramic heat shield coating on the head, valves and piston face. So I'll be installing a new piston, new gapless rings, new head, higher strength lower weight titanium or composite connecting rod, and roller lifters when they're all ready. Eventually, a new cam that can take advantage of the roller lifters to provide faster valve opening, longer open duration, and faster valve closing will also be installed.
-----
13 Oct 2014:
My 58th fuel up, I filled up with 87 AKI octane fuel from Costco. The Fitch Fuel Catalyst is now installed.

Mileage: 8,884.4 miles
Miles Ridden:   194.6 miles
Fuel:   2.590 gallons
Price/Gal:   $3.399
Total Cost:   $8.81
Fuel Mileage:   75.135 MPG

Yet another all-time high on fuel mileage, which is surprising, because the fuel injector is now clean, the bike is idling smoothly when cold, and it's got just as much power as before.

I took almost all the Tupperware off the bike today... you have to take it all off from the back of the bike forward to the floorboard just to get the floor above the gas tank off to get to the gas tank, which is a bit of a pain.

Anyway, I rode the bike until there were no bars on the fuel gage showing, then rode it for about 10 miles after that, so I could get the tank as empty as possible. It was so close to completely empty that there was only about 3/8" of fuel in the lower rear section of the tank when I opened it. I drained the fuel out with my suction device that I'd previously used for the brake fluid changeout, storing the fuel in the glass jar of the suction device. Then I got some lint-free rags and went to work making sure the inside of the tank was spotless. My hand would just barely fit in there, so I used a wrench extension to swipe the tank walls and bottom until I could see no more grit under a bright light. I also checked the fuel pump and filter sock, they were both in good condition and clean. There was only a tiny bit of that particulate matter from the bad gas I'd gotten, and I got it all out. Most of it must have run through and either gotten caught in the fuel filter or made it past the filter to go through the engine.

Then, I reversed the suction device and pushed the gasoline out of the glass container back into the tank, filtering it through a doubled-over coffee filter to be sure no particles got back into the tank. Since the suction device had sat for about an hour with the gas in it, most of the gunk in it had settled to the bottom, and that last little bit didn't get pushed back out of the glass jar. There was only a tiny bit of the gunk in the glass jar.

Then I dropped the Fitch Fuel Catalyst F5T modules into the gas tank, buttoned it back up, and rode to Costco to fill up. It's a good thing I live close to Costco... any farther and the bike wouldn't have made it.

So now I get to see if there are any fuel mileage improvements (on top of what the bike seems to be achieving on its own) due to the Fitch Fuel Catalyst. Time will tell, and if it doesn't work, I'll pull them out of the fuel tank.

Part of removing the Tupperware to get to the fuel tank involved removing the rear luggage rack. Just for S&G, I weighed it... the luggage rack, little support brace and bolts weigh 8.4 pounds. So based upon the combined curb weight of the bike and my own weight, leaving that off removes 1.63% of the weight. I left it off, since I never use it. I'll fabricate a special mount when I buy a top-case that'll be much lighter and stronger.
-----
20 Oct 2014:
I finally found a local place that has the equipment to do 5-gas smog checks on motorcycles and scooters. So, I'll pull the Fitch Fuel Catalyst modules out of the gas tank, run it for a tank or two, then get a baseline emissions test. After that, I'll drop the Fitch Fuel Catalyst modules back in, run it for a tank or two, and get another emissions test. Then I'll put the Magnetizer on, run it for a tank or two, and get a third emissions test. That'll give me a good baseline prior to the changes I'll be making.

I also found someone to cut a new rear gear set for the scooter. His name is Jan Vos, he's from Belgium, and he's got his own gear cutting machine. He's the guy who cut new gears for Craig Vetter's scooter (the one that got 214 MPG).

And finally, the Magnetizer Motorcycle fuel line magnet I'd ordered on 09 Oct 2014 was delivered.
-----
27 Oct 2014:
In preparation for making modifications to the engine, I ordered a bunch of parts:

Tag   Part #   Description   Price   Qty   TOTAL:
12200   12200-LEA6-900   HEAD COMP CYLN   151.03   1   151.03
12205   12205-KHE8-301  !   BOLT SEALING 12MM   4.89   1   4.89
12209-GDB4-68A   12209-GDB4-682  !   12209-GB4-6820-M1 SEAL VALVE STEM   7.9   2   15.8
12209-GDB4-68A   12209-GDB4-682  !   12209-GB4-6820-M1 SEAL VALVE STEM   7.9   2   15.8
12209-GDB4-68B   12209-GDB4-68A  !   SEAL VALVE STEM   6.82   2   13.64
12209-GDB4-68B   12209-GDB4-68A  !   SEAL VALVE STEM   6.82   2   13.64
1221A   1221A-KEBE-900   HOLDER CAM SHAFT COMP **K   27.22   1   27.22
12251   12251-LEA6-900   GASKET CYLINDER HEAD   32.38   1   32.38
12310   12310-KEBE-900   HEAD COVER COMP **KBE-900   27.22   1   27.22
12391   12391-KEBE-900   GASKET HEAD COVER **KBE-9   6.52   1   6.52
13406   13406-LEA6-900   PLATE FUEL INJECTOR   8.03   1   8.03
14100   14100-LEA6-910   SHAFT COMP CAM   50.85   1   50.85
14431   14431-KKC1-900   ARM VALVE ROCKER **9000 C   36.34   2   72.68
14450   14450-KEBE-900  !   SHAFT COMP IN ROCKER ARM   11.15   1   11.15
14461   14461-KEBE-900   SHAF TEXH ROCKER ARM **KB   7.28   1   7.28
14711   14711-KEBE-900   VALVE INLET **KBE-9000 C.   21.84   1   21.84
14721   14721-KAAA-900   VALVE EXHAUST **KAA-9000   32.25   1   32.25
14751   14751-KJ9-0030  !   SPG VALVE OUTER   6.62   2   13.24
14761   14761-KJ9-0030  !   SPG VALVE INNER **KJ9-0030 C.2005.03.25   3.68   2   7.36
14771   14771-GB4-6800   RETAINER VALVE SPRING   6.29   2   12.58
14775   14775-MA6-0000  !   SEAT VALVE SPG OUTER   2.21   2   4.42
14781   14781-MA6-0000-M1  !   COTTER VALVE   3.85   4   15.4
16201   16201-GFY6-910   GASKET CARB INSULATOR   2.23   1   2.23
16211   16211-GFY6-901  !   INSULATOR CARB   6.29   1   6.29
17256   17256-KKE3-900   BAND INSULATOR   10   1   10
18601   18601-MAJ1-791  !   REED VALVE COMP   24.88   1   24.88
18612   18612-KEBE-900   COVER REED VALVE   10.87   1   10.87
18645   18645-GY6-9400  !   GASKET A/I PIPE   1.91   1   1.91
18646   18646-GY6-9400  !   GASKET A/I PIPE   1.91   1   1.91
18647   18647-KEBE-900   PIPE COMP AIR   25.51   1   25.51
39300   39300-LEA6-800   FUEL INJECTOR   71.19   1   71.19
39302   39302-KKE3-900   CLIP SPRING FUEL INJECTOR   8.03   1   8.03
39303   39303-LEA6-900   SEAL HIGH TENSION FUEL   3.21   1   3.21
39500   39500-KKE3-800   SENSOR T-MAP   66.21   1   66.21
90012   90012-3C33-001  !   SCREW TAPPET ADJUSTING   4.61   2   9.22
90033-GFY6-941   90033-GFY6-941  !   BOLT STUD 6*16   1.73   2   3.46
90033-GY6-900   90033-GY6-9000   BOLT STUD 8*32   1.47   2   2.94
90206   90206-001-0010  !   NUT TAPPET ADJG   1.4   2   2.8
90304   90304-4H38-001  !   NUT HEX CAP 6MM   2.52   2   5.04
90465   90465-MDC4-001  !   WASHER 8MM   1.4   4   5.6
93500   93500-04014-06   SCREW PAN 4*14   1.4   2   2.8
94050-08080   94050-08080   NUT FLANGE 8MM   1   4   4
94301   94301-10160   PIN DOWEL 10*16   1.12   4   4.48
95701   95701-06025-08   BOLT FLANGE 6*25   1   4   4
96001-06014   96001-06014-08   BOLT FLANGE SH 6*14   1   1   1
96001-06016   96001-06016-08   BOLT FLANGE SH 6*16   1   1   1
96001-06025   96001-06025-08   BOLT FLANGE SH 6*25   1   2   2
96001-06032   96001-06032-08   BOLT FLANGE SH 6*32   1   2   2
96001-06050   96001-06050-08   BOLT FLANGE SH 6*50   1   2   2
96001-GFY6   96001-GFY6-900   BOLT SPECIAL 5*10 **(0) C.2005.11.28   1   1   1
13101   13101-LEA6-900   PISTON   37.18   1   37.18
14401-KUDU-90C   14401-KUDU-90C   CHAIN CAM   30.54   1   30.54
21395   21395-LEA5-E00   GASKET MISSION CASE   15.08   1   15.08
23411   23411-LEA6-E00   SHAFT DRIVE   39   1   39
23420   23420-LEA6-E00   SHAFT COMP COUNTER   53.39   1   53.39
23431   23431-KFC8-900   SHAFT FINAL **9000 C.2005   36.84   1   36.84
23432   23432-LEA6-E00   GEAR FINAL   40.6   1   40.6
90411   90411-KAM1-001   WASHER THRUST 14*32*1   2.65   2   5.3
90446   90446-3G57-001   WASHER THRUST 17.2MM   2.23   1   2.23
90474   90474-3C33-001   WASHER 8MM   1   1   1
91003   91003-KDS4-004   BRG BALL RADIAL 6301   21.72   1   21.72
91009   91009-GLE0-004   BRG BALL RADIAL 6004 UU   25.61   1   25.61
91105   91105-KGN7-672   BRG NEEDLE/HK1412V5 **KN7   20.35   1   20.35
91255   91255-GLE0-0060   OIL SEAL 27x42x7   2.94   1   2.94
94301   94301-08140   PIN DOWEL 8*14   1.12   2   2.24
94510   94510-20000   CIR CLIP EX 20   2.38   1   2.38

TOTAL:               1187.2
TOTAL FROM KYMCOPARTSMONSTER.COM:               1166.14

That's the entire head setup (parts grouping E02 in the parts list), a new piston, and new rear gears (with the washers, gaskets, shafts, etc.)

The head setup will be assembled by me, then sent to Baisley Hi-Performance so they can fabricate new roller rockers.

Then, the head will come back to me, be stripped down, and the valves and head proper will go to Swain Tech Coatings along with the piston to receive ceramic thermal barrier coating.

The gears will be sent to Jan Vos in Belgium so he can use them as a template to cut new gears with a 7.33:1 ratio, to replace the OEM 8.48:1 ratio rear gears.
-----
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 09:01:23 PM by Yager200i »

Yager200i

• View Profile
Re: Maintenance Record - VIN RFBT 9H154AB210136 - NOV 2014
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2014, 01:19:58 AM »
-----
15 Nov 2014:
I received all the parts I'd ordered on 27 Oct 2014. So I've got a lot of assembling and shipping to do. Fortunately, my wife and kids are going to Taiwan for a month and a half in just a couple days, so I'll have plenty of time to get it all done.
-----
23 Nov 2014:
My 59th fuel up, I filled up with 87 AKI octane fuel from Costco. The Fitch Fuel Catalyst was installed for the previous tankful, but has now been taken out in preparation for getting the bike's emissions tested.

Mileage: 9083.2 miles
Miles Ridden:   198.8 miles
Fuel:   2.641 gallons
Price/Gal:   $2.899
Total Cost:   $7.66
Fuel Mileage:   75.275 MPG

Gas under $3 a gallon! Wow!

And the bike maintains good fuel efficiency. That's especially amazing given that the last tankful was during an abnormally warm period, when the average temperature over the course of that tankful was 71F. The temperature over the course of this tankful was 64F, and lately it's been in the 50s.

So, while I'm not going to say for certain that the Fitch Fuel Catalyst has had a beneficial effect (which will require more monitoring of the fuel efficiency with it in, as well as emissions tests before and after it's installed), every other time the temperature has gone down, so has fuel efficiency.

While I had the bike apart, I also did the 9000 mile service, which consisted of:
Inspect brake system
Clean spark plug
Replace fuel filter (it was replaced on 09 Sep 2014, so I didn't do this item)
Inspect brake levers
Inspect brake shoes
Inspect shocks
Inspect radiator coolant
Inspect secondary air supply system
Inspect side stand
Inspect headlight aim

Nothing to report on any of the above items except that the spark plug was clean, which is strange... it usually has a very tiny bit of brown crust on the exposed metal edge below the threads. Of course, I'd cleaned it on 08 Sep 2014, so it may just be that it's not had much time to build up yet. But it's been more than 2 months.
-----
25 Nov 2014:
I've been reading up on Molybdenum Disulfide and vacclaisocryptene (aka QX).

Apparently, the CAS numbers for it are:
1317-33-5 = Molybdenum sulfide, (MoS2)
108-88-3 = methyl-Benzene aka toluene
60-29-7 = 1,1-oxybis-Ethane aka ether
108-38-3 = 1,3-dimethyl-Benzene aka xylene
106-42-3 = 1,4-dimethyl-Benzene aka xylene
78-59-1 = 3,5,5-trimethyl-2-cyclohexen-1-one aka Isoacetophorone
91-20-3 = naphthalene

So essentially it's a mix of sludge, varnish and carbon removers (solvents), combined with molybdenum sulfide.

The working hypothesis is that the solvents remove the sludge, varnish and carbon from the engine, which allows the molybdenum sulfide to attach to the metal, where it provides a slick surface in the event of metal-to-metal contact.

There are two places from which to order the 'moly and solvents' combo known as vacclaisocryptene or QX:
http://www.championq-x.com/page/product.php?product=2001
http://www.nitronine.com/nitro-retail/shop/zp-700-moly-oil-treatment/

But since the Royal Purple 10W-40 with Synerlec that I ordered already has moly in it, I'm not going to order any of this.

But I'll archive the info here for potential future use.
-----
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 10:57:55 PM by Yager200i »

Yager200i

• View Profile
Re: Maintenance Record - VIN RFBT 9H154AB210136 - DEC 2014
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2014, 10:58:39 PM »
-----
01 Dec 2014:
I finally got around to getting the rear gear set shipped to Jan Vos in Belgium.
FedEx Tracking Number: 805442454080

I'd received them on the 15th of November, but my attention was directed toward other things, so I never got around to getting them shipped.

Anyway, now they're shipped, and I'm starting to put the head together so I can get it shipped to Baisley HiPerformance.
-----
05 Dec 2014:
Jan Vos informed me via email that he'd received the gears I'd FedEx'd him. I also calculated the ideal vs. actual gear ratio required.

For instance, with the current gearing, at 6500 RPM, it should attain a speed of 56.25 MPH. It actually attains 55 MPH.

So, for the new gears, I want 65 MPH at 6500 RPM. The ideal gear ratio would be 7.33:1. The actual gear ratio required is 7.15:1.
-----
16 Dec 2014:
I finally got around to assembling the head I'd ordered on 27 Oct 2014, and almost immediately ran into a problem... I was missing 3 parts. Well, all the same part number, but three of them.
Old part number: 14781-MA6-0000-M1
New part number: 14781-MA6-0000-M1 COTTER VALVE
$3.85 each

Strange, because I'd specified a quantity of 4 in the parts list I'd sent to KymcoPartsMonster, but it was a rather large order with a lot of small parts, so a mistake or two is to be expected.

So, I called up KymcoPartsMonster.com and ordered them. The assembly will be delayed until I receive them.
-----
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 04:43:04 PM by Yager200i »

Yager200i

• View Profile
Re: Maintenance Record - VIN RFBT 9H154AB210136 - JAN 2015
« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2015, 04:51:10 PM »
-----
01 Jan 2015:
I performed the 9200 mile service on the bike today, which consisted of:
Replace gear oil
Adjust valve clearance

Engine oil - Royal Purple 10W-40 Fully Synthetic Motor Oil with Synerlec

There were no metal flakes of any size in the oil. Nor was there any in the gear oil. Both engine oil and gear oil came out looking practically new.

The valve clearances were exactly where I'd previously set them, at 0.09 mm.
-----
02 Jan 2015:
My headlight high beam burned out. The headlight was installed 15 Jun 2013, so 567 days was a pretty good run for an ultrabright bulb.

I'll search for an LED headlight that will fit in the tight behind-the-bulb clearances this scooter has. Meanwhile, I'll continue to run the low beam.

My 60th fuel up, I filled up with 87 AKI octane fuel from Costco. The Fitch Fuel Catalyst is not installed. Now I can get the bike emissions tested, since it's been two tankfuls since the FFC was removed.

Mileage: 9255.5 miles
Miles Ridden:   172.3 miles
Fuel:   2.629 gallons
Price/Gal:   $2.359
Total Cost:   $6.20
Fuel Mileage:   65.538 MPG

The average temperature during the last fuel-up period dropped from 64 to 57, and lately it's been in the 40s on the ride to and from work. There's a very clear correlation between temperature and fuel mileage seen on the chart I'm keeping due to this.
-----
03 Jan 2015:
I received the parts I'd ordered to complete the head assembly. Now I just have to find the free time to do so.
-----
11 Jan 2015:
I received the DMV registration tag for the scooter, good from 02/16/2015 to 02/16/2016. I'll put it on when a get a round tuit.
-----
14 Jan 2015:
Jan Vos from Belgium informed me via email that he'd finished cutting and hardening the rear gear set for the scooter.

Total cost: 235 Euros, or about $206.79
-----
31 Jan 2015:
My 61st fuel up, I filled up with 87 AKI octane fuel from Costco. The Fitch Fuel Catalyst is not installed.

Mileage: 9407.3 miles
Miles Ridden: 151.8 miles
Fuel:   2.445 gallons
Price/Gal:   $2.239
Total Cost:   $5.47
Fuel Mileage:   62.086 MPG

The average temperature during the last fuel-up period dropped from 57 to 54, which affected the fuel mileage. I've got to get to work on that warm air intake.
-----
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 06:21:54 PM by Yager200i »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()